Fox News criticised by OFCOM

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ViroBono, Jun 14, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

2. The Fox Network - "fair and balanced" - now who says the Americans don't understand irony ....
  3. Remember the consignment of cash that was found in tin boxes?

When they reported that the studio anchors seemed most proud that the US$ (or a few million of them) is the escaping dictators currency of choice. The Save the Pound campaigners can only stand by and look on in envy.
  4. Fox News renders a valuable public service.

It is the surest, fastest way of finding out what the administration wants folks to think.

All M.E. coverage sells a handful of points with metronome-like persistence:

1. W and Blair, giants of political virtue, two statesmen for the ages.

2. Saddam fixing to create mushroom clouds over the principal cities of the USA. It's only a matter of time and time is rapidly running out.

3. Saddam complicit in the WTC attacks.

4. Grateful Iraqis will strew rose petals and Tootsie Rolls before our victorious forces.

5. All the administration wishes for now is to restore "freedom" and representative self-government to Iraq.

6. The guys with the RPGs, however, don't want freedom or self-government. They are struggling to stop us from forcing them to be free.

7. Only a commie or a Frenchman would dare to say otherwise.
  5. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

If you think the watered down version on Sky is bad, try watching the real thing in the US. Fick mein old boots it is both frightening and funny at the same time.

To the "fair and balanced" reporting at Fox, the US has the god-given right to slam-dunck whoop-ass the rest of the mother lovin' universe yeee hah! because it's the land of the free and the home of the brave (God Bless America) and the rest of us commie scum-suckers need to be blown off the face of the earth yeeee-hah! The editors of the output on that channel must be clinically insane. If you want frothnig at the mouth then watch Rush Limbaugh, the guy looks like a rabid dog on an attack frenzy. If you mention the word "liberal" or "democrat" in his presence it's like watching the Tazmanian Devil from the Bugs Bunny cartoons.

mind you, what else do you expect from a Murdoch owned news channel in a land where there is FA regulation. If it wasn't for Ofcom that's the output we would be getting on Sky News. :?
  6. rush limbaugh the drug addict so much for the clean living republician

I know the Americans think they have jurisdiction over the rest of the world and their opinion is the only one that matters but I didn’t think UK Ofcom or the BBC thought themselves mightier still. Ye gods!

Twenty four? Ofcom couldn’t have had much on that day.

Fox are entitled to their opinion of the BBC however blinkered and Septicentric. UK newspapers are forever slagging off the BBC’s bias. Unless Fox broadcasts in the UK, (no matter it can be accessed here) Ofcom can fcuk ofcom.

Or did I miss something?
  8. Kind of ironic that Ofcom backs the BBC when the BBC is the only broadcaster in the UK who aren't answerable to Ofcom.
  9. I don't have to content myself with the watered-down version. The 100 proof version is available here 24/7.

They sell war and conquest, wrapped up in pseudo-patriotic slogan-mongering.

I can't cite any empirical data, but I suspect that they have a significant, and deplorable, influence on public opinion over here.

Very few people are impervious to pervasive repetition. If all I heard on these topics was their line, I'd probably be one of their flag-waving, slogan-spouting zombies, too.
  10. xmal wrote

I'd forgotten that. Makes Ofcom's wagging the quasi official finger at an American broadcaster all the more out of place.
  11. It is quite amusing to do a google using the phrase "rush limbaugh **** cyst" :wink: