FOX: Britain may "have to look at deploying ground troops" in Libya

Discussion in 'Syria, Mali, Libya, Middle East & North Africa' started by bobthedog, Apr 27, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From the Telegraph:

Libya: Liam Fox under pressure over deploying troops to Libya - Telegraph

Fears of a humanitarian crisis have grown as food imports into Libya’s rebel-held east have been hit while the National Transitional Council struggles to establish lines of credit and foreign traders fear they will not be paid.

Dr Fox, the defence secretary, was asked if soldiers would be needed for humanitarian purposes or to protect safe havens in Libya or its borders and if this would require a new United Nations mandate.

In response to the question by Jeffrey Donaldson, the DUP MP, Dr Fox accepted that it was “something we may have to look at”.
  2. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Oh fer gawd's sake, will we actually have anyone to send (considering currently cutback city)?
  3. Oh ****ing marvellous, that's just what we needed

Rampant beat me to it
  4. Ok who won the mission creep sweepstakes?
  5. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

I could do with the LSA days, when do we leave?
  6. Humanitarian being the latest buzzword as people aren't falling for the "fears that Gadaffi has chemical weapons" sketch as that seemed to bite us on the arse before.

7. Works for me, I'm bored of bank holidays now.
  8. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Mind you that is a more credible and, at least, partially honest justification than the last excuse which nobody believed.
  9. Wot he doesnt have chemical weapons, shit why are we bombing him then?
  10. I wouldn't worry about it. It's not official until Armorgroup starts their usual practice of hiring nightclub bouncers and car park attendants & sends them to Tripoli with M4 Carbines.
  11. Page 23 of todays Times suggests that the chemical weapons excuse can still have its moment in the spotlight.
  12. Good, good. do we have a scientist in storage to confirm that he can launch missiles that might hit us if we are lucky, might have to change the suicide option for said scientist.
  13. Ooh, sending troops in to the middle of a Civil War to secure lines of supply into the country? Look how well that worked in Russia circa 1920.

Are our governments all on drugs or just some of them?
  14. I think it was always inevitable. North Africa is really very close at hand and someone is going to have to make quite certain of two things. Firstly that the rebels win and, secondly, that when they do they behave themselves.

Otherwise if the rebels lose or, having won, they start to persecute their former adversaries half the population is going to bail out to Europe with a perfectly legitimate claim for asylum.
  15. calm down dear.... its 2011 and we know what we are doing...... hopefully.