Fourth Rifle Company

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by incendiarycutlery, Feb 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I can only imagine I'm going to get a bit of stick for this, but I thought this a good place to ask.

I'm helping a small developer do some research for a computer game featuring units of the British Army.

According to Gordon Mackinlay's "A Moment in Time" the War establishment of infantry battalions increases the number of rifle companies from three to four.

Has this happened in the last fifty years. If so when?
  2. On disbandment end of 2006 3rd Bn The Royal Irish Regiment was 11 Coy strong.

A, B, C, D & HQ Full Time Coys (AMA)
    E(AMA), F (PDN), G (DGN), H (PDN), I(AMA), K(RFN) Part Time Coys
    J Coy(BKL) having been re orbatted to 2 R IRISH.
  3. Thanks Lurgan_Stoop. I was thinking of deployed with four rifle companies, but learning other stuff is good too.
  4. Which game? The Bf2 PR mod? Just curious.
  5. Errr, not sure I can say specifically - there's an NDA going on.

You might be able to work it out by looking elsewhere on this site.
  6. When the 5th Battalion, The Queen's Regiment was formed on 1st April 1967 it was as a war reinforcement battalion. On mobilisation each TA company would have become the 4th Rifle Company of the regular Queen's battalions:-

A (Queens Surreys) Coy would reinforce 1st Battalion (Queen's Surreys) The Queen's Regiment
    B (Queens Own Buffs) Company would reinforce 2nd Battalion (Queens Own Buffs) The Queen's Regiment
    C (Cinque Ports) Coy would reinforce 3rd Battalion (Royal Sussex) The Queen's Regiment
    D (Middlesex) Coy would reinforce 4th Battalion (Middlesex) The Queen's Regiment
  7. Yes, 42 Cdo formed a fourth company, J, to take to the FI in 82; although one company, M, was actually then deployed to SG.

RM Commando units have 4 manoeuvre companies, 2 Close Combat, 2 Stand-Off. Each has a different mix of vehs and wpns base.

OpSec Off
    ( , ,, OpSec on
  8. Ahhhhhh i think i know then!! :p
  9. Some battalions have 'experimented' with four rilfe companys, each company being made up of 2 rifle platoons and a support weapons platoon.
  10. Ta for the info so far folks.