Four years minimum service?

Hi all, and I'm sorry if this is the inappropriate place to put this thread.

To get to the point, I am nearly 25 years old and want to be join the Intelligence Corps. I know 25 is at the older age-range to be starting, and therefore I'm worried about the minimum service length.

I know that seeking to serve the minimum service duration is on bad form, and one might question why I'm even bothering if that's how I'm approaching it. However, like I said, as I'm starting at 25 I'm thinking about my career after the army as well. I also know that if the next few years slip by and I don't join, it would be something I'd regret for the rest of my life. A bit melodramatic, but there we go.

Thus, my question is as follows: If joining the Int. Corps as a soldier, is 4 years the actual realistic duration, or is it longer? I realise that the more training you do, the more it may add to your service time obligations. Furthermore, what does the six years Reserve requirements constitute? I found the Army's website vague.

I appreciate any help on this, thank you.

25 may be an older age range for a majority of the Army, it's not so for the Int Corps. You could easily join up, do a short period of service (4-6 years) and be on your merry way with no problems.

As Forks said you could easily do 4 years and be on your way.

The Reserve Service bit as I understand it is that you are eligible to be called upon for service as a reserve for the stated period. In sum; this means you may get a letter through the door once you are out of the Army telling you to parade at Chilwell (the Reserve Mobilisation Centre), or wherever it is in 4 - 6 years time for a tour in wherever we happen to be deploying troops at that time.

At least that is what I understand by the detail, and I'm still serving so it should be reasonably accurate if not completely. Hope this helps mate.

TDF

Im 25 and joining mate so wouldn't worry - the way i see it you've got a little life experience behind you and you wont mess about as much as someone joining fresh from school/college (its the way i see it anyway)

besides even if you leave after doing the full 22 years your still young enough to get another job until retirement age....

matt_2818 said:
Im 25 and joining mate so wouldn't worry - the way i see it you've got a little life experience behind you and you wont mess about as much as someone joining fresh from school/college (its the way i see it anyway)
this is the way i see it. im starting at catterick a week before my 28th birthday!

I'm 23 and will probably be 24 by the time i get to basic so you ain't alone.

I wouldnt worry to much mate. Im 28 and i start training at catterick on 22nd august. im joining the fusiliers and hope to be in as a soldier for as long as they will have me. i just wish id joined up earlier

I'm 28 and starting royal engineers in September