Four Inns Walk

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by hill, Mar 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Me and 3 mates are taking part in this walk; http://www.fourinns.org.uk/

It's 40 miles across the peak district, with a 24hr time limit. The thing is the furthest I've walked in a single stint is about 16 miles. That was part of a 3 day walk, where overall we did about 32 miles in the peak district.

What should I expect? Any particular distance barriers where its hard to keep going? My fitness is pretty average, although I go to the gym 3 times a week, I do very little cardio.

2. Did 25 miles in 8 hours on sunday. My legs ached a little, but the main problem was a blister that i got on my right foot about 22 miles in. Feeling more confident about it now that I've seen what I can do.

Whats the best thing to do with this blister? Pierce the bastard or leave it alone? Will my feet have toughened up at all from this one walk?

Edit: The 40 miles is taking place this saturday

3. Blister. If you have time let it sort itself out. Otherwise drain it and let it dry out. get yourself some Compeed plasters from the Chemist they are brilliant. If all else fails use zinc oxide tape but this is a last resort!

4. You should be alright as long as you all keep each other going,don't carry too much and look on it as fun not a chore

5. I turns out the walk is 45 miles, and we did it in 21 hours 45 minutes. We did the first 30 miles in 13 hours, but then we had to slow right down for one team member whod been suffering since about 10 miles in. He had really bad feet, and his hips were really painful.

Next time i think some proper training is in order, the winning time was 7 hours 39 minutes haha.

6. Well done,its something to be chuffed about,did you enjoy it?

7. Bloody loved it. My feet hurt so much on the last 2 miles that I could see the finish and was almost certain i couldn't make it lol.

I couldn't stop grinning at the finish, it was such a great feeling.

8. Jesus Fookin' Christ and Doggy-Style Mary, thats fast! 8O

9. Too right its fast! The event record is 7 hours and 9 minutes, which is an average of over 6 miles an hour over pretty hard terrain. Anyone who's walked in the dark peak will know that the plateaus are very boggy.

10. I'm not dissagreeing, sounds like a stupid speed. Was it "them" by any chance?

11. Lol, I was agreeing with you mate, the real competitors run it, cause you only need to carry about 1 - 3 kgs of kit. Who are "them"?