Found Whilst Metal Detecting

@putteesinmyhands

Re post#21

How can you disagree with a simple question?
News to me. Thumb-scrolling on a phone. Usually it's people's profiles that I accidentally hit.

Now I suppose I've got to go back to the beginning and count to find post 21 as the post number doesn't show on the mobile.

Can't have people being upset about a miniscule picture at the bottom of a post, can we? I knew it was a mistake bringing these buttons in.

There. Swapped for a "Funny" to cheer you up.

Remember if you find a live bomb the best way to make it safe is batter the fuse in with a lump hammer.
So just filling my packing list.
Metal detector
Lump hammer... Is that it?

So just filling my packing list.
Metal detector
Lump hammer... Is that it?
Ear defenders - repeated hammering can damage your hearing - and there's a label on the lump hammer that recommends the use of goggles.

Other than a WAG, how can they tell the number of battles from which it was accumulated?

'The Staffordshire Hoard was seized in a series of Dark Age battles and contains the most important Anglo Saxon find ever, it has been revealed. New amazing details about the spectacular treasures, discovered by metal detectorist Terry Herbert back in 2009, has now been unveiled to the world, writes the Independent. The Staffordshire Hoard, which is one of the most important archaeological discoveries ever made in Britain, was discovered in 2009 in a farmer's field near the village of Hammerwich, near Lichfield. Archaeologists have just completed a major study of the finds and now believe the treasures were captured in several big mid-seventh century battles between rival English kingdoms. Experts say the treasures were seized by the English midlands kingdom of Mercia from the kingdoms of Northumbria, East Anglia and possibly Wessex. The treasure is likely to have been seized during between three and six substantial military battles.'

This probable seventh century bishop’s headdress is the oldest episcopal headgear ever found anywhere in the world and part of The Staffordshire Hoard (Image: Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery)

I can't say I've ever heard of the 'two emperors' in this context before.

'On a sunny day in June 2015 amateur metal detectorists George Powell and Layton Davies were hunting for treasure in fields at a remote spot in Herefordshire. The pair had done their research carefully and were focusing on a promising area just north of Leominster, close to high land and a wood with intriguing regal names – Kings Hall Hill and Kings Hall Covert.

'But in their wildest dreams they could not have imagined what they were about to find when the alarm on one of their detectors sounded and they began to dig. Powell and Davies unearthed a hoard hidden more than 1,000 years ago, almost certainly by a Viking warrior who was part of an army that retreated into the Anglo-Saxon kingdom of Mercia after being defeated by Alfred the Great in 878.

'There was gold jewellery including a chunky ring, an arm bracelet in the shape of a serpent and a small crystal ball held by thin strips of gold that would have been worn as a pendant. Beneath the gold were silver ingots and an estimated 300 silver coins.'

The post above yours
I can't say I've ever heard of the 'two emperors' in this context before.

'On a sunny day in June 2015 amateur metal detectorists George Powell and Layton Davies were hunting for treasure in fields at a remote spot in Herefordshire. The pair had done their research carefully and were focusing on a promising area just north of Leominster, close to high land and a wood with intriguing regal names – Kings Hall Hill and Kings Hall Covert.

'But in their wildest dreams they could not have imagined what they were about to find when the alarm on one of their detectors sounded and they began to dig. Powell and Davies unearthed a hoard hidden more than 1,000 years ago, almost certainly by a Viking warrior who was part of an army that retreated into the Anglo-Saxon kingdom of Mercia after being defeated by Alfred the Great in 878.

'There was gold jewellery including a chunky ring, an arm bracelet in the shape of a serpent and a small crystal ball held by thin strips of gold that would have been worn as a pendant. Beneath the gold were silver ingots and an estimated 300 silver coins.'

The post above yours?

The post above yours

The post above yours?
D'oh, missed it, as I was looking at the subject of what was found, rather than what those that found it did (or didn't do) with it. Put 'two emperors' in search and see if your original post comes up.

I only go to digs that I have been invited too.
Over the years had a few "good" finds two very good finds
Loads of ****
Found a few pistols on rhyl beach that turned out to be fuse lighters . They set off UXBs down there .

I only go to digs that I have been invited too.
Over the years had a few "good" finds two very good finds
Loads of ****
Found a few pistols on rhyl beach that turned out to be fuse lighters . They set off UXBs down there .
If you find a beach mine, be careful how you run away. The type c beach mine was multiple mines linked, once one went, they all went.

It’s a right bastárd being tasked to one.

If you find a beach mine, be careful how you run away. The type c beach mine was multiple mines linked, once one went, they all went.

Daisy Chain?

I Googled that.

As noted, many mine fields went up as a whole at the slightest provocation. Probably the most extreme example of this is noted in an official report from Dec. 1940 on “mine fields destroyed by enemy action, accidental means, or weather”: of a field of 527 mushrooms near Lowestoft, 515 were gone, and the “cause of detonation” is given as “Rough-haired terrier”. It is further stated on the form that the remaining 12 that did not go up had defective firing mechanisms.

Anything I don't know I mark and walk away,

Latest Threads