Found today

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by Mikal, Apr 3, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I didn't know how these got stashed but whilst making room for the "workers" modifying the home I found...

A 1980 BFG fuel map folded in quarter and as dood as new.

A 1980 BAOR map detailing all BMH and major casualty centres in the same condition. I think this was one done before the start of Spearpoint that year.

Does anyone remember these maps? I must have been issued them for some reason long forgotten.

Did anyone actually use them?

2. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Don't remember those but I do remember getting my map for Javelin/Spearpoint/Crusader 80. It was half the normal scale we used with one half of the Corps area on one side, the other half on the back. Because there was a shortage of standard maps for Spearpoint and because 3 Armd Div were umpires, it was felt that we didn't need the normal scale maps and we could make do. Trouble was that being half the number of miles to the inch, there was only room for 1/4 of the information per grid square. As Rebro Ferret commander, the CO decided that if he told me where he wanted to go. with so much going on, he could just leave his Rover driver to follow me while he got on with umpiring. However it turned out that he had a normal scale map and first time we got where we were going, he asked why I hadn't taken the minor road at grid <whatever> and taken an <expletive deleted> long detour. We compared maps. He forgave me.

3. What is what?