Found in the woods

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Steven, Jan 16, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know there was a thread on here about these things but due to Monday morning mongness I'm dammed if I can find it.

Anyway, was out and about this weekend and found the following.

The thing I found odd is that this isn't near to any houses or anything just a small farmers road through the woods.

Just seems an odd place to put the thing, or were the things just dumped any old place?

Attached Files:

2. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Depends what's up the end of the farmer's lane, if a water reserviour, reserve airstrip, secret bunker?

3. any old quarry nearby? could be a blasting powder/power gel kote.

4. I saw the other thread but I'm buggered if I know where.

The prescence of a portable bunker, sighted apparently without reason, with inadequate firing ports and with no field of fire would seem to suggest that the RAF had something to do with it.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Water reserviour is very possible as there something like that quite near.
    So this would be what? A guard post?

6. The visible embrasure could only really be used for observation, you'd struggle to fire a wpn. from it, except maybe pistol/SMG. Any pics of the other side?

7. Nope but it looked exactly the same, there are a total of 3 of those embrasures around the top.

8. This looks like a local variant of a Fire Watch Post - the slots aren't firing ports - they are for viewing. It could be sighted adjacent to a former open air munitions dump, vehicle park, MoAS aircraft park, MoS food dump - the sort of temporary facilities that had little fixed infrastructure.

It also looks very similar to relay boxes found alongside DeutchesBahn tracks (Ed: is that a bit spotterish?) as well as Volksturm watch posts that you can occasionally find off the beaten track in Bavaria.

9. Have a mooch around this sitehttp://www.pillbox-study-group.org.uk/

Looks like a sentry post just for shelter. They made them out of concrete as wood and metal were scarce resources.

10. Its nothing to do with the military, it is a Darleks version of a blow up doll!

And on a serious note, I have seen similer on an old WW2 reserve airfield up here. They were situated about a mile away from the filed in a circle around it. Always belived them to be some form of "spotters" shelter.

11. Bear in mind that the undergrowth could have changed considerably since the thing was put there. It doesn't take long for trees to spring up and totally change the terrain.

12. It was bugging me that I had seen similer somewhere else..then it clicked, in the East End of London! When I was a nipper my grandfather worked at the East India Docks for the Port of London Authority. A quick search threw up this...

Museum of London - PLA and consul air raid shelters

• Like Like x 1
  13. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

There's one down by the woodline from a stretch of beach just along from Dunrobin Castle.
    Nothing of value in area other than a potential landing ground. Have been meaning to take pictures of it, may have to do so to post here.

14. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

I think pup green who used to post on here had one in the fally muesum I think it's a portable air raid shelter for duty bobs could just be sited were needed. Might have been acquired for a farmer for some reason.

15. see if there is a dead monkey in there, it might be an old russian space craft