Found in the Loft

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by blonde_guy, May 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I found this in the loft, and thought it was a rather nice jacket and maybe worth something to a collector.

The buttons themselves were polished down, so hard to identify, except the ones up on the epaulettes, which appear to be Army Service Corps ones.

So this got me thinking, what is it?

I found some similar photos on the internet of it....

Is it possibly one of these? A good find?

Attached Files:

2. _Chimurenga_

_Chimurenga_ LE Gallery Guru

Khaki Drill Service Dress ?
  3. Not sure....

The cuffs are "pointed" as it were, the brass buttons seem to be detachable and it is unlined. They are Army Service Corps buttons, with ASC superimposed on top of each other within an RLC typesque shield.

What era?
  4. _Chimurenga_

The Army Service Corps didn't become "Royal" until 1918, so I would assume it is pre-dating that.

It's difficult to tell with khaki drill uniforms as so many of them were locally made in theatre as well as this one being an officer's pattern.
  5. If buttons are like this, then as previous post writes they are pre 1918, if so the jacket has kept well.

Attached Files:

6. Is it Maddies nightdress?
  7. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

You're assuming that the Gentleman concerned changed his buttons. He may well have continued to wear them for many years. Indeed he may even have inherited them. Thrift was often a virtue of necessity in the Army, especially in the unfashionable corps.
  8. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

How much you wanting for it?
  9. _Chimurenga_

Could you post us a pic of the epaulette buttons ?

I'm curious if the crown is the Queen Victoria pattern or the Kings Crown pattern.

Edited to add - I was hoping that it would be a Boer war item, but the open collar gives it away as a WWI jacket.
  10. If you really want to find out the IWM may be the place for you.
  11. Detachable buttons and unlined would suggest that it is tropical service dress - with the jacket being worn as a shirt (excuse that poor englsih please). The buttons and rank would be taken off before (the frequent) washing to remove the copious amounts of sweat produced in warmer climes.
  12. They are definately the buttons that are on it, but only the ones on the epaulettes are clear....

Sorry the pics aren't very clear, but all on a camera phone.

If it is indeed WW1 it is in phenomenal condition.

Attached Files:

13. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

As to Victorian tropical rig:

Officers' group in India 1890s, must be a course or something like that as they are all from different units.

(my g.grandfather 2nd fm left seated; wouldn't be an Officers' group without a dog).
  14. _Chimurenga_

King's Crown pattern buttons.
  15. Think I've also found a matching pair of breeches for it too, in another box.