Found an old family photo today...

Discussion in 'Medals' started by White-rose, Dec 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. And my gran couldn't tell me anything about the great uncle pictured, so I was hoping a spotter may recognise the ribbon and maybe the pattern of uniform may give something away with regards to his job.
    Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. He was in the army mate.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Fixed Gratis.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Medal looks like the Africa Star with an '8' representing that he served with the eighth Africa Corps. The uniform doesn't give away his unit.
  5. Why's he lying down, has he been shot?
    • Like Like x 8
  6. That's the first time I've laughed in a while.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. That's brilliant thank you, as I mentioned no could tell me a thing with regards to his role, I take it there wasn't an 'Infantry pattern' (or equivalent) uniform then? Please excuse my ignorance. Oh and k13eod, that made me chuckle too.
  8. All I can tell you was he wasn't an officer and he wasn't airborne. If you have his army number and his name you can find out easily enough.

9. How the **** did you work that our from this?

Arrse medals.jpg
  10. I'm amazed that no one has mentioned a photo with baps oot... was only a matter of time.
  11. Maybe he wasn't searching through the celebrity movie archive at the same time?
  12. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

It could also be a rosette to denote the 'North Africa 1942-43' clasp.
  13. _Chimurenga_

_Chimurenga_ LE Gallery Guru

He's wearing an American made "lend-lease" pattern battle dress blouse.
  14. Yep, but it looks more of an eight shape than a rosette so I go with the 'Eighth Africa Corps' theory.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. That shirt and tie looks unfamiliar.
    looks like nicking yank kit isn't a new thing.