The following article appeared today in the Evening Standard (apologies, but can't link it): The mysterious deaths of two young soldiers in separate shooting incidents while on patrol at a Surrey barracks prompted calls today for a public inquiry and accusations of an "Army cover-up". Geoff Gray: he had two gunshot wounds in his forehead when found Private Geoff Gray, 17, was shot dead while on guard duty last September at the Royal Logistics Corps headquarters in Deepcut, Surrey. On Saturday Private James Collinson, 17, was killed in similar circumstances. He died from a single gunshot wound to the head, also while on guard duty. It was initially believed that Pte Gray had killed himself, but an inquest at Woking Coroner's Court heard last week that he had two gunshot wounds to his forehead and that witnesses saw a man running from the scene. An open verdict was recorded. His mother Diane, of Homerton, east London, told the Evening Standard today: "The Army is trying to cover up what has been going on. They have always insisted that Geoff committed suicide, but we know that's not true." Pte Gray's father, also named Geoff, 38, a caretaker on the Guinness Trust Estate where the family live, said: "The facts in the case just don't add up. They are telling us that he put an SA-80 rifle to his head at arm's length, shot himself on one side and then somehow moved the rifle and shot himself again on the other side of his head. "We want an investigation to find out who did it and what links there are with this latest incident." Mrs Gray said her son was desperate to serve his country. "He was a happy, popular young man who loved life in uniform. "He was in the Cubs and Scouts and was always passionate about the outdoor life. He was extremely fit and athletic." She added: "His death devastated us. The Army were great up to the time of the funeral, but after that the only contact we had with them was at the inquest. Trying to get them to look into our son's death has been like banging our heads against a brick wall." The Ministry of Defence and Surrey police are to launch a joint inquiry into the shootings. A police spokesman said an inquiry had already been launched into the death of Pte Collinson from Perth. But she added: "We are looking at the wider picture." An MoD spokesman said: "The Army are investigating and will look at all angles." On the night that Pte Gray died an officer reported hearing three gunshots in quick succession and seeing a man climbing the fence of the compound that the soldier was guarding. A corporal told military police the alarm was sounded just after 1am. Soon after 2am the body was found about a foot away from the perimeter fence - an area that had already been searched three times, the inquest heard. The corporal said in his statement: "His weapon was lying about half a metre away from his feet. I shouted 'man down'. I could see two holes in his forehead and blood on the floor." An MoD spokesman said: "There has not been any change to the guarding of the barracks in the light of these incidents as far as I'm aware. The question of whether or not the safety of soldiers has been put in question by these incidents is the very reason that we have called a board of inquiry."