• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Forward The Rifles..

Did'nt Sean Be...... I mean Sharpe use those very words at Badajoz,

I'll get my coat.........Taxi!!!

Good luck to The Rifles and I'm quite sure that in the best traditions of the British Infantry of the LIne they will go on to great and glorious things..but...before we start praising their Light Infantry heritage let's bear in mind that at least five (Devons, Dorsets,Gloucesters,Berkshires and Wiltshires) of it's predecessors come from what was the backbone of the British Army, the old county regiments and give them equal billing.

They will be 1 and 2 Rifles, so kudos to them..

D and D and RGBW - 1 Rifles
1 LI - 2 Rifles
1 RGJ - 3 Rifles
2 RGJ - 4 Rifles
2 LI - 5 Rifles
Rifle Vol - 6 Rifles
Royal Rifle Vol - 7 Rifles

I think that's right. Good luck to one and all.

Still not happy about the light drill thing!

Light drill here i come,
oh and swaping a G for a J

GIZ SEMPER FIDELIS THE BLOODY XI

"SWIFT AND BOLD"

From the ACF corner - Good luck and God speed to you all.

(not that a British infantryman ever needed it)

I served with the D&D a couple of years ago in the LAD. I didn't enjoy my time due to a few of the more senior personel . However I do wish them well in their new Regiment Semper Fidelis!

wg100 said:
gizmodnd said:
Light drill here i come,
oh and swaping a G for a J

GIZ SEMPER FIDELIS THE BLOODY XI

"SWIFT AND BOLD"
Does that make you Jizmodnd...?
lol, Only with the Mrs, SJT Jiz does have a ring to it i sopose

From the ACF corner - Good luck and God speed to you all.
I read on the BBC news site that Rifles make up 25% of the ACF, 12,000 of them. Imagine trying to keep that lot in line!

ugly

LE
craftsmanx said:
Good luck to The Rifles and I'm quite sure that in the best traditions of the British Infantry of the LIne they will go on to great and glorious things..but...before we start praising their Light Infantry heritage let's bear in mind that at least five (Devons, Dorsets,Gloucesters,Berkshires and Wiltshires) of it's predecessors come from what was the backbone of the British Army, the old county regiments and give them equal billing.
County regiments, Oxfordshire, buckinghamshire, Yorkshire, Durham, Shropshire (Herefordshire), Somerset and Cornwall: all counties that were light infantry from the 18th century onwards and became part of bigger no county name regiments in the 50's and 60's. I'd say they were just as much the backbone of the british army. 1st shot fired in WW1 DCLI. Not an nd either!
best of luck the rifles. I have hosted those bugle calls and regtl tunes from the Lt Div, I'll post them later, maybe as a sticky with permish!

sorry Ugly - the 4th Dragoon Guards were the first British troops to fire a shot in anger when they were the recce screen to the front of the BEF positions

ugly

LE
TheSpecialOne said:
sorry Ugly - the 4th Dragoon Guards were the first British troops to fire a shot in anger when they were the recce screen to the front of the BEF positions
Not according to the DCLI museum and they have the prussian bin lid with the bullet hole in it, maybe it was the first confirmed KIA?

I wouldn't worry too much about what regimental museums say - they often get details wrong and romantisise things for their own benefit. Even my beloved RGJ museum have incorrect info in displays (I pointed this out to the curator but he wasn't interested!) Also, in the Airborne Forces Museum they have a model of the Coup-de-Main at Pegasus Bridge and have it labled 6th Airborne - not totally incorrect but shows how some regiments bend history to suit themselves.

ugly

LE
Its not the only place that info is recorded. I'll google DCLI WW1 and look it up! I have read it elsewhere!