Forward Air Controllers?

May have been asked before, so apologies if it has.

Just curious can you become a FAC in any part of the army or is there a specific unit that deals with this role?

Reason i'm asking is that, it would be something I would be interested in doing once I've joined.

Thanks,

allyjs

All Arms post - currently expanding like mad. Opportunities all over, especially in Afghan right now.

Need to be min rank Cpl. A fcukin excellent job all round.

PM for me info - apologies for the rushed post.

As Proximo says If you are an officer OC TACP is an E2 Job and at Capt level. You can be an FAC as a subalturn FR/Inf are best capbadges for this.

As a soldier you do need to be a Cpl min. Looks like FAC will be a career stream in the RA soon so I guess there is the best place to go. Opportunities exist in FR Regiments and (Dare I even mention it on here) RAF Regiment but you will need to be an Officer or Sgt/Flt Sgt there.

Top, top job lots of travel both on Ex and Ops.

Edited to add. You could always join the AAC and be a Pilot and an FAC!

forniup said:
As Proximo says If you are an officer OC TACP is an E2 Job and at Capt level. You can be an FAC as a subalturn FR/Inf are best capbadges for this.

As a soldier you do need to be a Cpl min. Looks like FAC will be a career stream in the RA soon so I guess there is the best place to go. Opportunities exist in FR Regiments and (Dare I even mention it on here) RAF Regiment but you will need to be an Officer or Sgt/Flt Sgt there.

not quite true, the RAF have Cpl FACs at Saints and all Regt Sqns will soon have their own FACs

johnnypaveway said:
forniup said:

not quite true, the RAF have Cpl FACs at Saints and all Regt Sqns will soon have their own FACs
Was completley unware of that, so I bow to your superior knowledge Mr Paveway :)

No worries was speaking to several AbFacs that I know from way back and business is brisk as usual. The AH guys working on CFX last week were very switched on bunnys

goodson8193 said:
Also TA unit at Bath if that's of interest.
Their exclusivity seems to have gone in the light of operational demands. Amongst others the Yeomanry seem to be getting a quite a few qual'ed at the moment on the back of support to FR regts.

QRK2 said:
goodson8193 said:
Their exclusivity seems to have gone in the light of operational demands. Amongst others the Yeomanry seem to be getting a quite a few qual'ed at the moment on the back of support to FR regts.
TA unit still in great demand though I gather...

QRK2 said:
goodson8193 said:
That unit is exclusive in that if you want to either qualify or continue with Forward Air Controlling then it is the only unit that has PID's for them in the TA.
Yes there have been one shot FAC's going both from the Regular Army and to a lesser extent the TA. However, all in the community know one shot FAC's are an expensive way of doing business. Considering the high cost of training a bit of experiance and some return of service is what is called for. Something which I think the RA will have sown up fairly soon.

In light of Operational demands one would imagine that some sort of reserve unit willing to support ops in an area that has a lack of suitable people would be able to thrive and indeed grow

johnnypaveway said:
No worries was speaking to several AbFacs that I know from way back and business is brisk as usual. The AH guys working on CFX last week were very switched on bunnys
I was under the impression it was a Flt Lt, a SNCO and 2x SACs as signallers that made up the RAF Regt teams?I take it I am then mistaken?

Capt_D,

You are refering to a standard TACP (FAC) orbat: OC - 1 x Lt/Capt (Army, RM), Fg Off/Flt Lt (RAF). 2 ic 1 x Sgt/CoH in extremis SCpl/SSgt/CSgt/Flt Sgt. 2 x Sig (Gunner/Operator).

There are other RAF pers emplyed as FACs outside of the TACP fraternity. Ranging in rank from Cpl to Sqn Ldr. Any Q's give me a shout.

forniup said:
QRK2 said:
goodson8193 said:
That unit is exclusive in that if you want to either qualify or continue with Forward Air Controlling then it is the only unit that has PID's for them in the TA.
Yes there have been one shot FAC's going both from the Regular Army and to a lesser extent the TA. However, all in the community know one shot FAC's are an expensive way of doing business. Considering the high cost of training a bit of experiance and some return of service is what is called for. Something which I think the RA will have sown up fairly soon.

In light of Operational demands one would imagine that some sort of reserve unit willing to support ops in an area that has a lack of suitable people would be able to thrive and indeed grow
My bold................... I think not! :wink:

TheBigUn said:
forniup said:
QRK2 said:
goodson8193 said:

You seem confident in that statement? Whys that then? :?

winchesterit said:
TheBigUn said:
forniup said:
QRK2 said:
goodson8193 said:

You seem confident in that statement? Whys that then? :?
Because the RA have been saying that for years, the DRA was trying to convince me of the fact in a conversation we had in Poland about 10 years ago. he seemed confident that the Royal Artillery were the Army's answer to an efficient Air Land interface. Being a non RA FAC I disagreed.
10 years later the number of non RA FAC's/JTAC's still outnumber the RA ones. :wink:

Hmmm I grasp what you are saying however what are you comparing the RA`s number of JTAC`s to? If it is another cap badge then I think you`ll be pushed to find another organisation with as many in date CR controllers. But I am open to being corrected.