Forum Newsletter Template?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Gundulph, Dec 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is there such a thing as a Template for a Forum/E-Mailed Newsletter that anyone can use but simply change all the articles and details?
  2. msr

msr LE

3. Have you thought about using Quark Xpress or Adobe Indesign and designing your own custom template? You'd be able to save the document as a PDF for easy distribution electronically. Word is a word processor and not really suited to page layout. A typical newsletter design workflow would involve entering the text into Word and importing it into a page layout program to turn the text into 'type'.

Alternatively, there is a free open source page layout program called Scribus, with which you can custom design templates, IIRC.
  4. Many Thanks msr and Contrarian, will look at both suggestions now...
  5. msr

msr LE

Have you though about the implications of recommending some of the most complex and expensive software on the planet to someone who can't even use google?

6. ooooooh you bitch 8O
  7. Indeed I did. I didn't post to offer help, just to be able to imagine the meltdown that could ensue. :wink:

Seriously, though, they are not that complex. The real issue is having the ability to design well. Someone who understands visual communication will produce better results in Word than someone with no grounding in design will in Quark.
  8. Amen to that Contrarian!

...and as long as a student can be located and plied with enough WKD, the educational discounts on software can make InDesign at least quite accessible. (linkette)

As king of the computing world, msr, I'd thought you'd know that.
  9. msr

msr LE

I'd go with scribus, which is free.

An engineering student was riding across campus on a shiny new bike. He ran into a friend of his who said "Wow, that's a great bike! Where did you get it?"

"Well, the strangest thing happened" said the first student."A girl came riding up to me and got off the bike, threw off all her clothes, and said I could have anything I wanted!"

"Wow," remarked his friend. "That's great! Good move, her clothes probably wouldn't have fit you anyway."
  10. Be careful, since I have an idea that you may have to activate the educational versions (which are exactly the same as the full commercial versions features wise) from behind an educational establishment's firewall, or using an establishment's Adobe account.
  11. If you have kids at school, it is all perfectly legal and above board. The most I ever had to do was reply to a message sent to an academic account and fax a copy of a student union card to Macromedia. I think it has got even simpler since then.
  12. In fact this is what the website has to say...

Kids at school = legal discount.
  13. msr

msr LE

For them and only for the time they are still at school / college / uni
  14. You having an off day, msr?
    In my experience, no checks are ever made as to which machine it is installed on, nor who is using it. I have authorised and de-authorised such a package three times on different machines with nary a peep from Adobe.
    But I expect you know different.
  15. Great story, msr. It's a pity you got it off some Septic site, though. The past tense/past participle of "to fit" in Septic English is "fit", while in Bridsch English it's "fitted".

Come to think of it; what does your joke actually have to do with the subject of the thread? Or have I missed something obvious?