Forum for Education

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by in_the_cheapseats, Apr 24, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Boss,

Something that I felt envious of the US Army when I worked along side them was the attitude that pervaded all rank levels which was the desire to better ones self academically. It is one I'd love to see in our Forces.

We pay lip service to it although we are getting better at it since the introduction of the enhanced learning credits scheme (although as someone who used it it still felt like trying to get blood out of a stone). A lot of us have to or choose to go back into some sort of education after we leave. 4 (3 ex reg and 1 TA) out of my MBA class (25) last year fall into that category, and that was just one school.

The number of people that are on the site, talking about PRINCE, OU, MBAs, the conversion of in-service qualifications to those that are useful in the "real" world, as well as those that approach the site from academia for samples seems to be a constant. At the moment these turn up all over the place and I think it would be beneficial to stick these together to help individuals transitioning to the outside research what may be useful in the future as well as for those interested in improving themselves whilst still serving.

Could I therefore suggest that a useful forum to be introduced could be one for Education, perhaps in the Normal Life segment?

Thanks

2. in_the_cheapseats

Bump - wouldn't mind opinions on this folks. I realise we have the training wing but that is full of mil course and quals stuff. I'm talking about more civilianised qualifications.

Boss - any come back?

3. msr

msr LE

Sounds like a good idea.

No if only they would offer ELCs to the TA...

msr

4. Some cute observations; and to fire from the flanks it has to be said the general US culture of 'aspiration' and the 'American Dream' burnt deeply into an inclusive edjumacation system, where our troubled system remained highly exclusive i.e. metal work for the unwashed and Oxbridge for the privileged.

That is changing but woefully too late; there is a cultural change where post-graduate education doesn't require a first degree for entry and often those without first degrees prove able to offer more 'criticality' in their Masters work.

One thing, amongst many, blue-rinsed Cameron will destroy in the anti-quango rhetoric are the very bodies that are helping this inclusivity; that is the Lifelong Learning Networks around the country that are funded excellently by Broon's mob but will be slashed back leaving edjumacation inexorably and slowly (Senge Mr Cheap?) declining, so much so, that we'll end up with elitism all over again. Great work is being done to grow the confidence of the British in their relationship with 'learning'; and it is cultural. The quite wonderful Michelle Bamma brilliantly inspired recently to say 'smart is cool' and behind her were youngsters whose communities pour scorn on learning, regrettably.

5. ...and very much yes to an edjumacation forum - happy to contribute to this also!

7. It would be good to cover the likes of:

Learning credits
    Resettlement courses
    Education & IT courses within the army
    What is worth/not worth doing
    mature students
    help in course work
    how to cheat!

8. in_the_cheapseats

Thanks, guys, for the thumbs up. Anyone from HQ ARRSE going to make comment?

9. in_the_cheapseats

Bump

GCO - any chance of an answer one way or the other?

10. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Sorted - mod and some thread moving to follow.

11. in_the_cheapseats

Boss - willing to head this up