Fortune of War, Sydney; who else has been there?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Bravo_Bravo, Jul 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seems as if every Brit that has been to Aus has had a beer here... so who else on here has?

2. Me.
    When I went there they had a barmaid called Cherie which was the cause of much piss taking as Madame Blair was visiting Oz at the time.

It's a good pub with good beer and it is in a good area.

3. Never been to Syders. Drove across the GAFA from Brisbane to Bundy and then up to Darwin. Took 4 days and I was pissed most of the way (wasnt driving).

4. i've been to sydney. and i'm extremely familiar with the Fortune of War roundabout on the A127 in essex. does that count?

5. More times than I care to recall. They knocked down a couple of similar pubs, which were adjacent, during the boom of the early eighties.

The Rocks area was gentrified during this period also.

6. I go there from time to time, as I work about 5 mins walk away ......think the Lord Nelson further on up is a better brew and more atmospheric - also sells better pies!

7. Must have done the place out since I was there.
    All I can recall was white tiles on walls and thinking, why is everyone drinking half pints, and no unaccompanied women allowed.
    Kingscross……does that place still exist?
    There was a place I used to go in my youth called Whiskey a go go, believe it was bombed and raised to the ground.

8. Wasn't all that impressed with Sydney, much preferred Bris Vegas.

I did go down to The Rocks though and if I'd have known the place, I'd have popped in for a glass of Lambrini.

9. Me.

On Australia day in 2006 & 2008.

The Orient hotel isnt bad either.

10. Been to the rocks a couple of times and Fortune of War is always one of the stops - great area, great pub, not bad beer.

11. Mate, to paraphrase Dr Johnson, "The man who is tired of Sydney, is tired of life" :wink:

12. I've been to the 'Prince Of Teck' in Earls Court does that count?

13. sadly no longer a roundabout and no pub either ! :(

14. Spoken like a true blue.

Brisbane is a better place to live in every single way.

15. Not sure if I would agree that Bris is better than Sydney - they're all good places to live over here - just depends on what you are after. I like the buzz and setting of Sydney, but Brisbane has a more relaxed feel about it - gets hotter too! Wherever you are, you're never far from a cold brew over here!