Fortrex 101 replacement

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by uavgunner, May 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys my Fortrex 101 has come to an untimely death and im looking to get a spankers 101.After haveing a look online there are new models however the reviews seem to be abit mixed on performance and battery life ect.

Anybody useing one of the newer models that can recommend one or shall I stick to a 101

2. The new foretrex 401 is next to me as I type. Does all sorts of whizz bang stuff some of which I doubt I will ever really need (Jump master). It arrived yesterday so I am still getting to grips with it. So far I have worked out it aquires a helluvalot faster than my forerunner 301 and is slightly smaller but thicker. Damn thing refuses to discover or sync with my HRM from the forerunner though.
  3. To help protect you GPS I have one of these for 101 and it spent 6 months getting hammered round Afghan and it looks as good as new

GPS Wrist Pouch

Not sure how the 301 & 401 will fit but its a good shop with good customer service and I know they do a lot of work for ITC Brecon and them

I had a look on the Garmiin web site at the 301 & 401 and should my 101 die I will be looking at the 401 as a replacement
  4. Saw a bloke with one of these on a course a couple of years back now, looked the mutts, and much easier/quicker to use than a typical GPS stowed in pocket.

But does anyone know of a similar wrist-mounted GPS that takes AAs, as apparently they take AAAs but I'm not sure how available they are, whereas AAs are always available from the CQMS et al?
  5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Never having had more than a few minutes with any sort of GPS system I have in my draw a new Garmin Etrex. Its for work, plotting items of kit that need responding to. I'm not sure its what I wanted and as I didnt spec it I have little idea about it. Are they any good? If so I may take one around the woods next time I go out and plot high seats etc.
  6. AAAs batteries are available from CQMS Dept.
  7. Interesting, never seen them dished out - but thanks for the heads-up!
  8. The 101 was actually on issue for Herrick 8 and AAAs availible. For some reason on Herrick 9 they were in short supply but stocked in the EFI. Scam? You decide....
  9. RVOps

RVOps Sponsor

We know from Garmin that they are phasing out the 101 in favour of the updated 401- it has quicker GPS pick up and the battery life is longer, it can also send info via wireless to another 401. This may be why the have limited stock in different places.
  10. AAAs always available on ops but difficult to get in camp from my experience - so I guess front up yourself for exercises but you'll be fine when you deploy.