Fort George - Ardersier. Thinking about buying a property there.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Are you working at the fort?

If so you could even look at the eastern edge of inverness, plenty of new housing etc but none of it particularly spectacular. You’re not far from town though.

If your not then go with everything else that’s been mentioned. Nice part of the world.

Avoid Dingwall.
No, it’s a retirement home we’re looking for although we p
Are you working at the fort?

If so you could even look at the eastern edge of inverness, plenty of new housing etc but none of it particularly spectacular. You’re not far from town though.

If your not then go with everything else that’s been mentioned. Nice part of the world.

Avoid Dingwall.
No, we're looking for somewhere to retire to. We own a house in Craigellechie but we want somewhere in a reasonable commuting distance of Inverness - still going to need to work.

We're looking all over but the particular interest in Ardersier is a property opportunity that's on offer, is well within budget and would give us the home we want. Its justa question of whether the location is alright.

No, we're looking for somewhere to retire to. We own a house in Craigellechie but we want somewhere in a reasonable commuting distance of Inverness - still going to need to work.

We're looking all over but the particular interest in Ardersier is a property opportunity that's on offer, is well within budget and would give us the home we want. Its justa question of whether the location is alright.
you're about 15mins or so from a BFO tesco on the east side of inverness which is on the same site as a next/cinema/fast food stuff etc. etc. so if it's a dream house type deal it's definitely not too far from civilisation, Nairn is also just around the corner if you take the back road. what i would say though is there are loads of great wee towns and villages within 20-30 mins of Inverness, from small villages with sod all there (Buncrew - great view over the firth, hotel does decent food nearby), to old victorian Spa towns (Strathpeffer - postcard stuff, lots of tourist coaches in the summer but the upshot is more hotels/restaurants because of it for its size), to more traditional villages (Evanton, Muir of Ord) and stuff by the sea (Fortrose, Rosemarkie, Nairn).

it'd probably be worthwhile going up for a long wkend and having a drive about. Given the shear number of options you'll probably find some other houses which might offer good opportunities if you look for them. you just need to get a feel for the types of village.

I dont live up the road anymore but still have plenty of family in the area, if you have any more specific questions just PM me, if i dont know one of them will

Without wishing to try and teach you to suck eggs, think of the aspect of the house and work out whether it will get any sunlight in the depths of winter. I know some folk who have waxed lyrical about a location in the middle of July when there is 20 hours of daylight. Some houses on the southern shores of the Moray Firth barely see any direct sunlight for 3 months if they are in the shadow of a hill or another property.

Without wishing to try and teach you to suck eggs, think of the aspect of the house and work out whether it will get any sunlight in the depths of winter. I know some folk who have waxed lyrical about a location in the middle of July when there is 20 hours of daylight. Some houses on the southern shores of the Moray Firth barely see any direct sunlight for 3 months if they are in the shadow of a hill or another property.
it's worth pointing out that my bias against Ardersier is entirely based upon living in the fort over the winter of 2008/9.

sometimes i still have nightmares where i cant escape.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Are all the place names mentioned in this thread made up places in your heads or are for real? ;)

Some of them sound like they could be the name of an op. ..like this one...Op Deepcut.

Errm...I know you're Not From Round 'Ere Redshift, so may not be aware of the resonances Deepcut has for British Army types. Not having a pop, just for 'situational awareness'

Former depot for Royal Logistic Corps , a very unfunny place not helped by four suicides of young trainee soldiers within a short period. Now closed.

Deepcut: Inside the chaotic, demoralised and highly-sexualised barracks where four young recruits died

I shared an office at HQ Land with one of the senior officers briefly. His career went into underdrive, as might be expected.

Another vote for the Black Isle. My brother is seriously considering retiring there, some beautiful property for sale. He is trying to sell the idea to my London sister in law with "you'd only be a quick flight away from the theatres in Edinburgh or London!".

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I take it you've looked at the HSPC website? Most of the estate agents in Highland have amalgamated their online sites to this one. Properties for sale and rent in Highlands, Scotland | HSPC

Ardersier is nice enough, very close to the airport though for those over flights from Dalcross (though there are plans to name change to Loch Ness Airport!

Was down there weekend before last, as said above, it's a wee Highland village with all that it entails. Nice views over the Firth.

We're a bit further North, Dornoch area, so can't give exact details of down there but you would be only 10/15 minutes from Inverness Shopping Park | Inverness Shops, Restaurants & Cinema A few minutes more takes you to Inshes Retail Park, Inverness - Completely Retail

Inverness has a big ASDA and a Big Morrisons.

There is a football club, currently in the Scottish Championship, and has 2 rugby clubs.

Within Highland there is a decent network of leisure centres Welcome to High Life Highland - High Life Highland

The further North you go, generally the cheaper properties become, though around Dornoch for example, you can easily save 10-20% off a similar house if you live 3-4 miles out of the village.

Be prepared for poor public transport and expensive taxi journeys if outside of Inverness,

Feel free to PM if anything specific wanted.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Another vote for the Black Isle. My brother is seriously considering retiring there, some beautiful property for sale. He is trying to sell the idea to my London sister in law with "you'd only be a quick flight away from the theatres in Edinburgh or London!".
No Inverness to Edinburgh flights these days

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
On the subject of flights, you can get some bargains on occasion f you are OK with easy jet.

We got flights at £7 to Gatwick leaving at 0630 earlier in the year although the return was nearer £40.

We have been to Bristol, for the pair of us for under £90 return.

The BA flights to Gatwick are not so cheap.

Ardersier isn't too bad but I'm pretty sure you could find somewhere better without much effort. Nairn is an ideal place to retire to or Cawdor, Auldearn and Croy. There are plenty areas already mentioned that would be good. IMO Inverness is an excellent hub. You can travel an hour in any direction and have some great days out.
I wouldn't live much more that half an hour from Inverness as you could end up in banjo plucking territory.

Do you play golf? I'm led to believe it's good around here.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Do you play golf? I'm led to believe it's good around here.
Castle Stuart hosted the Scottish Open for a couple of years recently, it's about a driver and a five iron from Ardersier.

Then there's a whole heap of clubs including Royal Dornoch which are not too shabby.

And another. I love the Rosemarkie - Cromarty stretch, and why would you want a theatre when you can see dolphins from the beach? And the pictures might be a car drive away but the Picts are on the doorstep.

Ardersier late 80's. There was a council house actually out of bound to our battalion as it was for the previous Battalion. Two young ladies lived there who had a pretty bad rep. Neighbours were trying to get them evicted, stories appeared in the local papers. Town patrol and civvy police regularly dropped in looking for soldiers. Hard to imagine but true.

The going rate for being caught in there was 28 days. One young lad did his 28 then got caught again that weekend and did another 28. It was pretty grim. To be fair the village was pretty grim with 2 pubs frequented by soldiers including SNCO's and pads.. Not nice. There were a lot of handicapped kids around, as they were called then.

Strange thing about the Fort is it contains a museum so there were always civvies walking around camp and they used the NAFFI in daytime. Bizarre I thought. RP's had to stop having prisoners heads shaved because the civilians felt intimidated. The weather is grim up there and that part has not changed over the years. During the recent heatwave of 30-35C in the South the North of Scotland was sometimes as low as 14C, according to the weather reports.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Ardersier late 80's. There was a council house actually out of bound to our battalion as it was for the previous Battalion. Two young ladies lived there who had a pretty bad rep. Neighbours were trying to get them evicted, stories appeared in the local papers. Town patrol and civvy police regularly dropped in looking for soldiers. Hard to imagine but true.

The going rate for being caught in there was 28 days. One young lad did his 28 then got caught again that weekend and did another 28. It was pretty grim. To be fair the village was pretty grim with 2 pubs frequented by soldiers including SNCO's and pads.. Not nice. There were a lot of handicapped kids around, as they were called then.

Strange thing about the Fort is it contains a museum so there were always civvies walking around camp and they used the NAFFI in daytime. Bizarre I thought. RP's had to stop having prisoners heads shaved because the civilians felt intimidated. The weather is grim up there and that part has not changed over the years. During the recent heatwave of 30-35C in the South the North of Scotland was sometimes as low as 14C, according to the weather reports.
The weather is not always as warm as South but we were still in mid 20s for most of the heat wave.
Being right on the coast it tends not to get so cold as some of the inland areas in the winter but we are much better prepared for the snow and ice when it comes. Far more ploughs and gritters in service.

The weather is not always as warm as South but we were still in mid 20s for most of the heat wave.
Being right on the coast it tends not to get so cold as some of the inland areas in the winter but we are much better prepared for the snow and ice when it comes. Far more ploughs and gritters in service.
Don't tell them that F_F, otherwise they will all want to live up here. I like the relatively empty roads and the literally empty beaches. Also don't mention the fantastic local produce, the myriad of distilleries and the excellent local breweries. Make sure you don't mention the scenery, the adventure training, the skiing or the fishing.
Phew, I think we got away with it!

Don't tell them that F_F, otherwise they will all want to live up here. I like the relatively empty roads and the literally empty beaches. Also don't mention the fantastic local produce, the myriad of distilleries and the excellent local breweries. Make sure you don't mention the scenery, the adventure training, the skiing or the fishing.
Phew, I think we got away with it!
#smidge for all the other little crittery problems