Forsake The Troops founder dead

The guy who ran the Forsake the Troops website has been assaulted and has now died.

Forsake the Troops

On Monday evening, the webmaster of Forsake The Troops was brutally assaulted by two men, thought to be members of the military, in response to their opinions about this website. Mr. Crook had been the target of numerous death threats and trespassers at his residence. All of these threats were saved and have been turned over to the authorities.

UPDATE:

At 6:19pm Eastern time, Michael Crook died of his injuries, after being rushed by ambulance to the leading hospital in the area for head trauma. The two men who allegedly assaulted him are currently in the custody of police. Mr. Crook died with his wife and infant daughter present.

It is therefore the decision of his family, and associates that Forsake The Troops goes offline, to prevent further incidents of violence and threats against his family. Therefore, this domain will permanantly go offline at around 5pm Eastern time, on Tuesday, May 17th, 2005.

Its murder and being beaten to death can't be much fun BUT>..............................

If anyone was gonna get it this fella was

Just a sad attention seeking TW+T who massively underestimated strength of feeling against the horse sh+t he peddled

The power of the internet

Countryman said:
The guy who ran the Forsake the Troops website has been assaulted and has now died.

Forsake the Troops

On Monday evening, the webmaster of Forsake The Troops was brutally assaulted by two men, thought to be members of the military, in response to their opinions about this website. Mr. Crook had been the target of numerous death threats and trespassers at his residence. All of these threats were saved and have been turned over to the authorities.

UPDATE:

At 6:19pm Eastern time, Michael Crook died of his injuries, after being rushed by ambulance to the leading hospital in the area for head trauma. The two men who allegedly assaulted him are currently in the custody of police. Mr. Crook died with his wife and infant daughter present.

It is therefore the decision of his family, and associates that Forsake The Troops goes offline, to prevent further incidents of violence and threats against his family. Therefore, this domain will permanantly go offline at around 5pm Eastern time, on Tuesday, May 17th, 2005.

Or done a Reggie Perrin.

If true he didn't deserve that, a kicking perhaps, but not beaten to death and certainly not in front of his family.

Is there any way this story can be verified? Where does he live and has the story appeared in the local news? Terrible thing to say - but would you put it past him to make this up?

That's what I mean Gonzo. Couldn't find any reference to it on Google, but maybe it's too soon for search engines to pick it up.

A terrible bit of news. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, regardless of how extreme. He expressed an opinion that he believed in despite the fact, that to most of us, it was utter b0ll0cks. However, to kill a man for expressing an opinion is so OTT. I would loved to have punched his smug face, but whoever assaulted him have gone beyond the pale and deserve to be punished.

Shame about the beating to death, especially for him to die in front of his family.

Shame he didnt realise the public out lash of what can happen , when some one speaks out with such radical views, that it enrages a nation.

Whilst i do not support your politics, RIP fella

Sounds like a stunt to me.

If he has been beaten to death... he WAS asking for it. Yes yes rule of law etc etc, freedom of speech. Sorry but no sympathy IF it is true.

I'm all for getting a good 'bite' on a website, but that is ridiculous.

The world has lost a wind-up merchant of the first quality.

Unless it's a wind-up.

Yes it was a wind-up. Michael Crook admits it on his own blog:

http://www.michaelcrook.com/mikesweblog/?q=node/12

Mike is revived!

Submitted by mike on Tue, 2005-05-17 20:32.

Well, I suppose the cat's out of the bag, so....I'm not dead.

To those that sent heartfelt messages, and felt that this was a true story, I truly apologize. This situation quickly got out of hand, when national media outlets called looking for clarification.

I honestly thought people would shrug it off, and go on their merry way. I even got a kick out of the numerous hate messages from people, including an e-mail message from this numbnuts:

From: Hollingsworth, Benjamin L SFC USAOC&S (Benjamin.Hollingsworth@apg.army.mil)

Yea, I am sorry that I couldn't have been there to watch you die. Go Army.

SFC Hollingsworth, Benjamin
Recovery Department NCOIC
"Leading the Train"
410-278-2765 / 7606
DSN 410-297-2765 / 7606

Real nice guy, he. In any event, this story got way out of hand. The Troops site has, indeed, been taken offline, because quite frankly, I'm tired of the time it takes to maintain it. It's not from a lack of hosts; there are plenty of companies willing to take my money, but enough is enough. Let the drunken rednecks from Weapon Depot think they won. They had nothing to do with it. Nor did anyone else, but myself. I alone chose to take the site down.

But, hey, if it gets your rocks off to make you think you're so important that you had anything to do with it, knock yourself out.........please. Then jump off a tall building with your children in tow.

And, people overreact. Take for example, one Mr. Mike James, webmaster of Newsblues, which is a media insider website. Having worked in the media industry, he felt it imperative to mention the story. Unfortunately, he got the story wrong. He also chose to fire me as one of his researchers, because of the fallout from this story, apparently. Of course, it's fallout he created himself by running the story-- I haven't worked in the TV industry for quite some time now. It's truly unfortunate that he apparently does business this way, but whatever. Life's too short to stress over mean people.

I'm very relieved to know that a man wasn't murdered for his opinion...BUT...what the hell kind of sicko stunt was that? The guy must be some kind of attention-seeking psychiatrically damaged weirdo. Isn't he playing with fire? Who knows what idiot might get ideas from his trick, and do him for real!

No-one deserves to die for opinions, but I find his absolutely DISGUSTING. Ungrateful prick - people died for his right to have a website with that crap on. At least he has taken it down now. Seems like he got the sack too - HA! That's one thing he probably did deserve. Asshole.

God, the guy is a true arrsehole. Must admit, it started the alarm bells ringing when he mentioned he'd been killed in front of his wife and kids. Wishful thinking on that part I should think, the bloody geekazoid attention thinking mommas boy. Wife and kids? He probably still lives at home and never leaves the house.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Infantry 59
Pillager Multinational HQ 10
msr The Intelligence Cell 4