Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Formula E

They're advertising Formula E electric car racing on the telly at the moment.

Not convinced. There are no metal slots in the track and the cars don't go flying off into space at the merest hint of a corner.

I went to a free practice day at Castle Donington a while ago to see what all the fuss is about. If you close your eyes it sounds like a race between milk carts. I was waiting for Benny Hill to turn up and do a few laps.

I just can't get in to Formula E. I don't know why that is but I just think it's not as enchanting as F1.

I just can't get in to Formula E. I don't know why that is but I just think it's not as enchanting as F1.
Having been to both, Silverstone (F1) and Battersea Park (FE), the only real difference in actually watching it is the noise levels. Formula E works to a standard that F1 alludes to, F1 spend millions on R&D to get an edge only to find that the powers that be veto the innovation, FE all use the same car, same power, it's more of a driver/tactical race style, I like it.

I think Formula E will be better when they start having races on full size circuits rather than cart tracks, almost all of the races I've seen so far have been processional because there's too little room for overtaking.

It will never be as good as F1, but it is work in progress.

All the invitation that goes into the development slowly works its way into everyday Road cars, this will be the first year that they have managed to develop a battery that will last a whole race rather than performing an actual car change at a pit stop. This years cars also will have a top speed of 174mph up from 140mph last year.

The racing can be pretty close but sometimes you find the tracks are too tight for them to make any decent racing moves, but track layouts may change this year due to the increased speed.

OK you don't get loud engine noises, but you get to hear the squeaking of the tyres at the corners.

As I said it's work in progress and worth a watch, BBC have got the rights this season starting this weekend, but know doubt Sky will take it if the viewing figures massively increase.

Having been to both, Silverstone (F1) and Battersea Park (FE), the only real difference in actually watching it is the noise levels. Formula E works to a standard that F1 alludes to, F1 spend millions on R&D to get an edge only to find that the powers that be veto the innovation, FE all use the same car, same power, it's more of a driver/tactical race style, I like it.

Apart from the bit where they jump out of the first car cos' its run out of leccy and awkwardly get in the other one, which frankly makes it look shite.

Read the they want to race on street circuits which would make it more exciting. Unlike F1 which is unlikely to be granted new street circuits except in countries that have no issues with the bunny huggers. As electric cars are supposed to be the saviours of the environment getting races in cities seems to be relatively easy. It's probably fun being a driver but as a spectator I don't get it.

There was some talk a few years back about London hosting an F1 thingy which seemed to come to nothing-there were some mock up pics in the press showing chicanes down Regent Street and so on-if the likes of Monaco can shut down for a weekend, why not ?

There was some talk a few years back about London hosting an F1 thingy which seemed to come to nothing-there were some mock up pics in the press showing chicanes down Regent Street and so on-if the likes of Monaco can shut down for a weekend, why not ?
Because Sad Dick Khan would hammer them on fines for being in the Ultra Low Emission Zone and polluting the air! (plus he's said that London couldn't afford to shut down for so long)

Apart from the bit where they jump out of the first car cos' its run out of leccy and awkwardly get in the other one, which frankly makes it look shite.
Not with the new generation of cars. This season the races are a fixed time length (rather than laps) with no car change.

I like FE. It’s generating a lot of manufacture interest, it provides an international professional series for drivers who don’t quite make it in F1 to ply their trade and the races I’ve watched have been pretty exciting.

It’s nowhere near as fast as F1 but that’s why they race on street circuits. It’s also really driving EV tech. And attracting s whole new audience to the sport.