Formula 1 - 2022 season

Interesting article.

Monaco was the perfect setting for the historic GP but is seriously lacking for today's wider, faster cars.
I’d be sad to see Monaco go.

Sure, it’s produced largely precessional races since the late 60s but it’s also produced some great of the most memorable moments. Motor racing is about more than overtaking; the skills required to hoon an F1 car around Monaco are incredible. Qualifying is awesome; F1 cars on the edge.

Monaco moments in my time as an F1 fan; Jackie Stewart winning in the snow in 73. John Watson’s leading in the Brabham Alfa in 77 until his car broke, Patrese’s win a week after he let me sit in his Lancia at Silverstone, Mansell leading in the Lotus until he made a tiny error, Senna’s pole lap, Mansell chasing Senna, Panis’s win, Jenson forgetting to go up to the winners enclosure. Schumacher and Rosberg cheating. Lewis’s wins.

I’m fucked if I can remember anything much of the hundreds of Grand Prix run on Tilkedromes.

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Monaco this week.....sun, sea, glamour, glitz and an outdated and pointless track.....will it be about to change? This is the last year of their contract. Not a bad article here on the issues with the track and the event.

Wondering if Charlie Le Clerc will break his awful recent record at his home track and stick it on pole and bring home a win.
Probably willy waving as part of contract negotiations.

Given how much cash the race brings to the principality, I’d say it’s within their best interests to make it work.

I think we discussed it earlier on the thread, is there any reason why they can’t extend the track into the harbour? Take out the swimming pool straight and just add a nice wide loop on stilts where people can overtake? Or even just widen the bits that border the harbour?

If they can build entire islands off the coast of Dubai where land previously didn’t exist, it can’t be that hard to extend the track into the harbour by a few metres.

They’re hardly short of the cash.

Monaco has been reclaiming land from the sea for years already.

wheel

LE
I think that I am correct in saying that Monaco is the only event on the calendar where they do not pay to host the race. Around 1/3 of Monaco's income is generated in Grand Prix week.

Edit: A quick Google says they now pay but a modest $11.5m

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
This pic just popped up on my Instagram.

Can’t tell if the track is much wider, the cars are much smaller, or a bit of both.

Would be interesting to see a comparison pic of how it is today, taken from the same spot.

And as mentioned before, I really don’t see why they can’t extend a bit into the harbour.
39AF0E2B-1067-4370-A065-DCD9A5CD02AC.jpeg
62FFFAB9-0826-43EF-B30E-28D058C48FBD.jpeg

Given how much cash the race brings to the principality, I’d say it’s within their best interests to make it work.

I think we discussed it earlier on the thread, is there any reason why they can’t extend the track into the harbour? Take out the swimming pool straight and just add a nice wide loop on stilts where people can overtake? Or even just widen the bits that border the harbour?

If they can build entire islands off the coast of Dubai where land previously didn’t exist, it can’t be that hard to extend the track into the harbour by a few metres.

They’re hardly short of the cash.
I think the swimming pool section was itself reclaimed from the sea, when they added it in 1972.

I think that I am correct in saying that Monaco is the only event on the calendar where they do not pay to host the race. Around 1/3 of Monaco's income is generated in Grand Prix week.

Edit: A quick Google says they now pay but a modest $11.5m

But monaco control the media feeds, where as F1 controls it on everyother track.

There’s an issue with advertisers as well, Rolex pays millions to F1 for asvertising, Tag nothing. Both get advertising at Monaco.

It might be worthwhile if Monaco was fücked off for a couple of years.

wheel

LE
But monaco control the media feeds, where as F1 controls it on everyother track.

There’s an issue with advertisers as well, Rolex pays millions to F1 for asvertising, Tag nothing. Both get advertising at Monaco.

It might be worthwhile if Monaco was fücked off for a couple of years.
They have the most expensive hotels fully booked and the Yacht salesmen have the best week of the year. No surprise That the Crown Prince Reiner gets a semi on.
I personally think it is effin boring.