Formula 1 - 2022 season

Augustus

War Hero
And thus......we find ourselves in Barcelona. McLaren bringing upgrades, Vips, De Vries and bloody Kubica running in FP1 for RB, Williams and Alfa respectively. Haas not bringing upgrades for another few races yet as they believe there is more pace to unlock......and whither Mercedes? Upgrades this weekend? Who knows.

A track all the teams know well, it's screaming yet another "DRS Train" to me.....!
Mercedes trialled their new package with George Russell during a closed session filming day at Paul Ricard yesterday.

Last edited:
Mercedes trialled their new package with George Russell during a closed session filming day at Paul Richard yesterday.
I read a piece today which suggested that, if Mercedes crack the porpoising then their car will be 2 seconds a lap quicker than anyone else. Basically it will give them downforce with very low drag. Everyone else is generating downforce from high drag sidepods and wings.

I read a piece today which suggested that, if Mercedes crack the porpoising then their car will be 2 seconds a lap quicker than anyone else. Basically it will give them downforce with very low drag. Everyone else is generating downforce from high drag sidepods and wings.

2 seconds a lap?

Jeez! that's almost an hour in old money.

It also begs the question as to what did they get so wrong if they found 2 seconds down the back of the sofa?

Still looks to be a pretty big "if" at the moment, but I hope they can.

Ecosse

On ROPS
On ROPs
I've wondered about this for months.
As far as my son is concerned,in his professional opinion. which is shared by colleagues as Police trainers & injury physios it's potentially as dangerous long term as footballer's issues spending a career heading balls.
Especially for the upper cervical & thoracic vertibra.
Now we have one Top Gun claiming pain post races.
Pain means low/medium/to high levels of injury & damage.
It's the body sending out the message "Let me heal"
It is a question of degree.
It's odd why it's not been an open subject via the driver's health & training teams.
Who knows? Nobody does just now but therein lies the issue in a nutshell.

( Anyway I'm wishing Alonso a podium spot...just cuz he's a jolly decent chap when he's not whining and does nice lines in wines! )

Last edited:
2 seconds a lap?

Jeez! that's almost an hour in old money.

It also begs the question as to what did they get so wrong if they found 2 seconds down the back of the sofa?
The concept behind the Merc is to gain (huge) downforce from the floor alone, which is effectively drag neutral because all cars have to have a floor. Everyone else is chasing that same downforce from side pods and wings because they haven’t thought about the floor enough.

Mercedes problem is porpoising. The others have compromised downforce from the floor, replacing it with downforce from the side pods and therefore managing the porpoising.

If Mercedes work out how to manage the floor soon, expect an awful lot of Hammer time.

The concept behind the Merc is to gain (huge) downforce from the floor alone, which is effectively drag neutral because all cars have to have a floor. Everyone else is chasing that same downforce from side pods and wings because they haven’t thought about the floor enough.

Mercedes problem is porpoising. The others have compromised downforce from the floor, replacing it with downforce from the side pods and therefore managing the porpoising.

If Mercedes work out how to manage the floor soon, expect an awful lot of Hammer time.

I read this morning that the folks at Aston have been on the scrounge again....suspicious looking side pods matching the Red Bull :) Cue much shimfing from Karen and co on TV later no doubt, followed by more ranting from that muppet Marko.

Augustus

War Hero

A link :)
The last time Racing Point/Aston Martin blatantly ripped off someone else’s car they went backwards in the Constructors’ championship compared to the year before.

Here’s hoping Lawrence Stroll does the double….

Last edited:
Well hello to the non-bouncing Mercedes! It looked a lot easier to handle, Lewis had issues with DRS hence his gap to George. Clearly bit of work on balance/setup but it's promising. Solid drive from de Vries...already quicker than Latifi....!

Well hello to the non-bouncing Mercedes! It looked a lot easier to handle, Lewis had issues with DRS hence his gap to George. Clearly bit of work on balance/setup but it's promising. Solid drive from de Vries...already quicker than Latifi....!
Missed FP1 but the Merc is looking an awful lot better

Augustus

War Hero
Rumours now that Red Bull are investigating if any staff who left them for Aston Martin over the last few months took any Intellectual Property with them, apparently on a tip off from the FIA.

Bearing in mind that McLaren were fined £100m for a similar infringement and banned from the Constructers’…

…. Although that was apparently £5m for the infringement and £95m for Ron Dennis being a twat.

Rumours now that Red Bull are investigating if any staff who left them for Aston Martin over the last few months took any Intellectual Property with them, apparently on a tip off from the FIA.

Bearing in mind that McLaren were fined £100m for a similar infringement and banned from the Constructers’…

…. Although that was apparently £5m for the infringement and £95m for Ron Dennis being a twat.
I think the 95m as more because Max Mosley absolutely detested Ron Dennis

$100M plus agreeing to leave Hamilton out on shagged tyres and to stuff around with his gearbox software so Kimi could win a consolation World Championship.

$100M plus agreeing to leave Hamilton out on shagged tyres and to stuff around with his gearbox software so Kimi could win a consolation World Champions

It always made sense to me that having been banned from the Constructors' they would not be allowed the WDC although banning them from competing might have been seen as a step too far

It always made sense to me that having been banned from the Constructors' they would not be allowed the WDC although banning them from competing might have been seen as a step too far
I can’t remember which journalist wrote it; might have been Saward. But I read a piece that provided good evidence that 2021 was not the only world title Lewis Hamilton was denied by FIA manipulation.

Allegedly Ron Dennis did a deal with the FIA and Ferrari to deliberately sabotage Hamilton 2007 and ensure that Raikkonen won in return for not being banned for 2008.

Latest Threads