Formula 1 - 2022 season

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Credit where it is due - the Express used to be THE go-to motorsport newspaper, with some excellent writers like Chris Hilton, Bob Mackenzie etc
However, they still live on past glories. And Re-hashing Reuters and AFP stuff.
Would that be back in the 1960s?

Back then, the Express used to publish an annual magazine to coincide with the UK motor show, with photographs and details of every car available on the market, worldwide. It was an authoritative “go to” reference guide, that even the weekly Motor, and Autocar, could not compete with.

Mind you, today’s motoring journalists (like a lot of the opinionated ARRSE commentators), were probably not even born!!

"Agree FIA deal" - doesn't say he's been sacked . . .

Michael Masi is still in a job.
That something has been agreed, but not (yet) announced, does not necessarily mean that a course of action has not actually been agreed ;) .

Ritch

LE
Would that be back in the 1960s?

Back then, the Express used to publish an annual magazine to coincide with the UK motor show, with photographs and details of every car available on the market, worldwide. It was an authoritative “go to” reference guide, that even the weekly Motor, and Autocar, could not compete with.

Mind you, today’s motoring journalists (like a lot of the opinionated ARRSE commentators), were probably not even born!!

That something has been agreed, but not (yet) announced, does not necessarily mean that a course of action has not actually been agreed ;) .

Right, you find me an article today that says Michael Masi has been sacked.

Not one that appears in your crystal ball, obviously.

I wonder how deep this goes. Are Merc prepared to walk away from the sport if things are not resolved to their liking?

I wonder how deep this goes. Are Merc prepared to walk away from the sport if things are not resolved to their liking?
One has to ask why would Merc, any team, continue to invest millions, when all their money, time, effort, dedication, can be trashed by an irresponsible decision by the incompetent idiot Masi ?!

It's far from outlandish.
It's not as if they have a lot to prove is it?
Perhaps there is still a strong element of Win on Sunday, sell on Monday?
I'd not know now.
Based on that, Ferrari sales would be zero!

Why do you say that?

of they left and took all their engines with them F1 would be in a lot of bother for a while.
A family member is an engine developer in Brixworth, and I discussed this with him recently. Mercedes are primarily interested in the manufacturers championship, although the drivers championship is obviously important to them as well. They are not going to throw the baby out with the bath water over the prima-donnas's.

A family member is an engine developer in Brixworth, and I discussed this with him recently. Mercedes are primarily interested in the manufacturers championship, although the drivers championship is obviously important to them as well. They are not going to throw the baby out with the bath water over the prima-donnas's.

Very few people think about the constructors championship. It’s all about the WDC, that’s where the big money goes, the sponsorship and the kudos

Have Mercedes achieved what they set out to achieve?
Did they sell m ore road vehicles? Did they glean a lot of knowledge from their f1 'test beds' which they can apply to road cars?

Very few people think about the constructors championship. It’s all about the WDC, that’s where the big money goes, the sponsorship and the kudos
Though Mercedes actually earn more money through the constructor's championship than they do the driver's championship.

I'm not going to enter Stacker mode over this, just passing on what I have heard from someone who actually works there. Of course, he's only an Engineer, not a Senior Manager, so maybe the mood-music is different higher up the food chain.

Nobbygas

Old-Salt
My opinion. If Masi stays then Hamilton will not drive this year. If Masi is sacked then it is an admission by the FIA that he screwed up, which could then lead to a possible court case with Mercedes?
Who is the biggest draw for F1, Masi or Hamilton?
The FIA have a huge problem of their own making.

As for RB, their brand new in-house engine could have reliability issues this season? It wouldn't be surprising.
Could this open the door for others like say Ferrari or MaClaren ?

TamH70

MIA
My opinion. If Masi stays then Hamilton will not drive this year. If Masi is sacked then it is an admission by the FIA that he screwed up, which could then lead to a possible court case with Mercedes?

As for RB, their brand new in-house engine could have reliability issues this season? It wouldn't be surprising.

Isn't Red Bull's engine a Honda one with the serial numbers filed off?

I think that is a very fair assumption.

Isn't Red Bull's engine a Honda one with the serial numbers filed off?
Yep, sort of...
Following their decision to withdraw, Honda gave Red Bull the right to use their intellectual property, enabling Red Bull to use the power units through Red Bull Powertrains from 2022 up to 2025 despite the official withdrawal of the Japanese manufacturer at the end of 2021. The Honda-designed engines supplied to both Scuderia AlphaTauri and Red Bull Racing will be branded Red Bull.

as I wrote re Merc...
Have Honda seen the writing on the wall, especially re govt legislations, and decided pouring Yen into fossil-fuel cars isn't a long-term winner?
As much as F1 tries to portray itself as Green, it isn't.

Latest Threads