Formula 1 - 2021 season

green_slime

War Hero
Harsh on Vettel but he has had enough success. I feel more for the AM team, this would have been fantastic for all the engineers and wider staff. They will be gutted.

Perhaps Lewis can try a restorative bacon and egg sandwich. Seem to work for me and if not then I have still had a good feed and reassure myself I am not a vegan.

"The decision means that Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton inherits second place, with Ferrari’s Carlos Sainz classified as the final podium finisher in third.

The rest of the top 10 behind Vettel also inherit a place each, with Alfa Romeo’s Kimi Raikkonen promoted from P11 into the final points paying position of P10.

The result also means Hamilton extends his title lead over Max Verstappen by a further two points after picking up 18 points to Verstappen’s two . . ."

It will come as no surprise, that I've never been asked to design a fuel tank for an F1 Grand Prix car, BUT . . . if them is the rules, you would think the fuel outlet from the fuel tank would be sufficiently high up the side of the tank, to ensure the required 1lit was remaining in the "sump" at the very bottom ?! :( .
Recall a few years back when they used to pump the fuel in at minus temperatures, to make the volume as small as possible?
Caused chaos on occasion, as any delay saw the stuff expanding ...
Also, adding lead shot on the late refuel to push the weight up to legal limits!!!!

That aside . . . what about his health?

EDIT . . . Lewis Hamilton believes he may still have not fully recovered from contracting Covid-19 after he experienced fatigue and dizziness at the Hungarian Grand Prix. The British driver finished third in a monumental effort to come back from last place at the Hungaroring but admitted he fears he may be suffering from long Covid.

After his immense recovery drive Hamilton missed the start of the post-race press conferences as he was being attended to by his Mercedes team doctor for fatigue. Afterwards he said that he did not feel he had fully recovered from the effects of the virus he contracted in December last year.

“I have been fighting all year with my health after what happened at the end of last year and it is still a battle,” he said. “I had really big dizziness and everything got a bit blurry on the podium.”

The race at the Hungaroring is hot and physically demanding but Hamilton conceded that he may be experiencing the symptoms of the form of the virus where health problems remain for months after it is first contracted.

“I haven’t spoken to anyone particularly about it but I think it is lingering,” he said. “I remember the effects when I had it. The training has been different since then and the levels of fatigue you get are different and it’s a real challenge. So I am just continuing to try and train and prepare the best way I can. Who knows what it is today? Maybe it’s hydration but I’ve definitely not had that experience. I had something similar in Silverstone but this is way worse.”

He would appear to be filling his bag of excuses, should it all go Pete Tong, very nicely.

Err . . . What are YOU, expecting to go wrong ?!
He's laying the ground-work for claiming the Championship was STOLEN from him.

Err . . . What are YOU, expecting to go wrong ?!
He's laying the ground-work for claiming the Championship was STOLEN from him.

Along these lines. "Wasn't at my best" etc etc.

Slight drift, but I remember the woke twonk on the podium at the grand prix where Nico Rosberg won his championship. LH won the race NR was either 2nd or 3rd & when LH was interviewed on the podium it was all about him, he grudgingly congratulated NR a couple of mins in.

A true sportsman would've made the entire interview about NR & his achievement.

He may be a great racing driver, but he comes across as a self centered, egotistical, virtue signalling race baiting twat.

I may have mentioned this before....

Statistics

War Hero
MB is a le mans winner and sportscar champion don't forget, and he gave Senna a serious run for his money prior to F1.

shame he seems to have turned into a bit of a bellend the last few years.

I have heard talk that that's why you rarely see him doing a gridwalk even before covid - no fcuker would talk to him. Nico was a pleasant change today, I was surprised to find out.

MB was very quick until his first big accident which shagged his ankle, similar to Jonny Herbert. Given who they were racing with at the time, decent records and respect is due.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
MB was very quick until his first big accident which shagged his ankle, similar to Jonny Herbert. Given who they were racing with at the time, decent records and respect is due.

In fact Schumacher himself said the only team mate that could give him trouble was Brundle.

Brundle's problem was permanently being in crap cars. The only time he had a decent car, the McLaren, it was paired up with the Peugeot engine - a particularly explosive little unit that was down on power, reliability that used to grenade itself at every opportunity.

Met Jonny Herbert at the burger van at a horse event his daughter was competing at. Nice bloke to have a chat with over a brew and a banjo

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Along these lines. "Wasn't at my best" etc etc.

Slight drift, but I remember the woke twonk on the podium at the grand prix where Nico Rosberg won his championship. LH won the race NR was either 2nd or 3rd & when LH was interviewed on the podium it was all about him, he grudgingly congratulated NR a couple of mins in.

A true sportsman would've made the entire interview about NR & his achievement.

He may be a great racing driver, but he comes across as a self centered, egotistical, virtue signalling race baiting twat.

I may have mentioned this before....

Here's my take on it - yes, he's self-centred and egotistical - like every other racing driver in the world. You simply don't get to F1 without a massive amount of self belief and ego. They have to be selfish, or they will not make it to the top tier of racing. Having said that, he is usually the first to congratulate someone, or to tell people not to beat themselves up (Russell, Norris, etc.)

Is he virtue signalling?
Definition - Bartholomew's original article describes virtue signalling as a public act with minimal associated cost intended to inform others of one's socially acceptable alignment on an issue.[6]

Or is it that he experienced racism in the junior ranks and he genuinely wants to enact change? Putting in 20 million quid into a foundation to help diverse kids race is far from paying lip service for a cause that he doesn't actually believe in, but wants to brag about his "right-on" status.

PFGEN

GCM
Wouldn't be post race Monday without Horner being in the news. This time he's bleating about the spending caps on the F1 teams. Last two weekends have cost them a pile. He's also bemoaning the fact that both the RBs will need an engine change and it's not fair that they will be given a grid penalty. One rule for RB and another for everybody else...phew!

Wouldn't be post race Monday without Horner being in the news. This time he's bleating about the spending caps on the F1 teams. Last two weekends have cost them a pile. He's also bemoaning the fact that both the RBs will need an engine change and it's not fair that they will be given a grid penalty. One rule for RB and another for everybody else...phew!
He's an unpleasant little piece of work. He'd be the first one to gloat if it was happening to someone else.

MB is a le mans winner and sportscar champion don't forget, and he gave Senna a serious run for his money prior to F1.

shame he seems to have turned into a bit of a bellend the last few years.

I have heard talk that that's why you rarely see him doing a gridwalk even before covid - no fcuker would talk to him. Nico was a pleasant change today, I was surprised to find out.

Have you had a sarcasm bypass?

Cheeko will be on his third engine, so no penalty and max has the engine involved in the silverstone crash, it might be recoverable. He’s always glass half empty.

If no one from RB noticed the big cloud of steam from Perez's pod when VB clouted him, or the engine data that must have gone wild, and didn't tell him to shut down immediately, then the engine loss is down to them.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer

as someone said on the comments on one of the F1 sites, if you can't afford to take a loss then don't take a seat at the table.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I don’t really get this whole Vettel thing.

I’m all for disqualifying people for blatant rule breaking and cheating, but this fuel thing doesn’t really give anyone an advantage.

Couldn’t they have just jacked the car up on one side to let the fuel drain out or something?

Vettel deserved the podium and half a litre of fuel would’ve made absolutely zero difference to that.

A warning to the team would’ve sufficed in my opinion. It’s like when a driver goes off track and cuts a corner, unless an advantage is gained then just leave it be.

I don’t really get this whole Vettel thing.

I’m all for disqualifying people for blatant rule breaking and cheating, but this fuel thing doesn’t really give anyone an advantage.

Couldn’t they have just jacked the car up on one side to let the fuel drain out or something?

Vettel deserved the podium and half a litre of fuel would’ve made absolutely zero difference to that.

A warning to the team would’ve sufficed in my opinion. It’s like when a driver goes off track and cuts a corner, unless an advantage is gained then just leave it be.
I think the logic (other than a rule is a rule) is:

You know they might take a litre, so you need to finish the race with at least 1.5 litres, probably 2+ to be on the safe side?

Vettel therefore ended 2 litres lighter, so may have been fuelled 2 litres less for the whole race. That is allegedly an advantage of 0.07s a lap.

Personally I think if they want to risk running out of fuel, let them. Take a litre of fuel from each while they're on the grid if you want to test.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Recall a few years back when they used to pump the fuel in at minus temperatures, to make the volume as small as possible?
Caused chaos on occasion, as any delay saw the stuff expanding ...
Also, adding lead shot on the late refuel to push the weight up to legal limits!!!!

tanks of water for 'brake cooling' which was then topped up after the race before scrutineering...rear wings that took four mechanics to lift into place...

Latest Threads