Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Formula 1 - 2021 season

Given that the current criteria for holding a new Grand Prix are to (a) have a terrible human rights record and (b) have zero motorsport heritage, I wonder where will be next?

Eritrea is currently at the bottom of the Freedom in the World Index, although it’s possible that they’re not quite rich enough for a ostentatious display of dictatorial wealth of that sort.
I'm sorry, have I stepped into a thread about politics and human rights?

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

Mattb

LE
I'm sorry, have I stepped into a thread about politics and human rights?
More just a complaint about **** tracks being added, because their tinpot dictators can afford to buy their way in to the F1 calendar - often at the expense of classic tracks with proper F1 heritage and fans.

Could we please leave this thread to F1 racing in 2021 and leave the external politics out of it? There are other threads for that.

PFGEN

GCM
Given that the current criteria for holding a new Grand Prix are to (a) have a terrible human rights record and (b) have zero motorsport heritage, I wonder where will be next?

Eritrea is currently at the bottom of the Freedom in the World Index, although it’s possible that they’re not quite rich enough for a ostentatious display of dictatorial wealth of that sort.

Maybe Somalia, they've been coining it for the past years having setup a national industry in piracy. Could make for an interesting race.

I see Williams are going to use the Mercedes gearbox next year. Probably a good thing; I’d expect the Merc box to be better packaged and better in operation. Sad to see that teams the mechanical differentiators between teams are going.

Should be food for Williams though. I think Russell noted that the Mercedes box was noticeably better.

Having been a fan of MOTOGP for many years it is Suzuki's loss and Renault's gain

Having won the MotoGP title, Suzuki confirms it is losing team manager Davide Brivio ahead of its championship defence in 2021. After leading Suzuki to its first MotoGP title since 2000, multiple publications had reported that team manager Davide Brivio is to leave the project for a senior role at Renault's rebranded Alpine F1 team.

Lawrence Stroll predicts world titles for Aston Martin. Based on last year‘s performance you’d struggle to argue with him.

The only fly in the ointment is Vettel, Stroll freely admits that he struggles in a car that doesn’t suit his driving style. You need a driver that adapts to the car, especially if you are pushing forward.

Carbon 6

War Hero
Lawrence Stroll predicts world titles for Aston Martin. Based on last year‘s performance you’d struggle to argue with him.

The only fly in the ointment is Vettel, Stroll freely admits that he struggles in a car that doesn’t suit his driving style. You need a driver that adapts to the car, especially if you are pushing forward.

As a naturalised Canadian, I suppose I should be supporting the Stroll continuum, but after what they did to Sergio Pérez and Lance’s refusal to congratulate Sergio by name, referring to him as “the other car”, I hope that Vettel is the only driver they have on the podium.

Mattb

LE
As a naturalised Canadian, I suppose I should be supporting the Stroll continuum, but after what they did to Sergio Pérez and Lance’s refusal to congratulate Sergio by name, referring to him as “the other car”, I hope that Vettel is the only driver they have on the podium.
I’d struggle to be happy with Vettel on the podium either - although given how crap he’s been lately it’s probably not an enormous risk.

Can’t see it myself. Last performance was based on copying the Mercedes; there’s hardly any original thought gone into the car. They will never be anything but “best of the rest” without being original.

Also, I can’t see Stroll getting the best people that he needs and building a team. At the moment, they’re all second best; Sznafnauer talks the talk, but he’s never won anything. There’s no evidence he knows what a winning team looks like.

Maybe if they can extract Toto Wolff from Mercedes, but why would he leave?

syrup

LE
I read on the 2020 thread that the pit lane rumour is that Hamilton's negotiation with Merc aren't going well. How true this is I don't know. But they seem to have a ready made replacement in Russell. Younger, cheaper & without the baggage. What's not to
LH contract details here

Maybe Perez was showing Lance up too much. Vettel might make him look better.

I hope Perez beats them both hollow this year

PFGEN

GCM
Doesn't look line Toto Wolff is going anywhere. He has a significant share of the team along with Mercedes and Ineos. Not sure what the ratio is but I read somewhere that its a third each. I would guess with Wolff at the head of the team for the coming years I guess it will be the team to be in. That said the wrong driver could cause serious damage to the team dynamics.

I believe the contract has to be signed before the end of February when testing begins. Both Merc and Hamilton reckon that something wil be signed and both sides are in no hurry as they both expect to have pen on paper pretty soon. Apparently both sides have pretty much agreed on the terms. If I was Hamilton I'd push for the Mercedes One car as well, "I'll drop a few mil in pay or % on the winnings but the car is non-negotiable."

And how would Benz Insider know confidential details of Hamilton’s contract negotiation? For those to leak would be a huge breach of personal trust.

Fake news that has already been called out by Mercedes.

Can’t see it myself. Last performance was based on copying the Mercedes; there’s hardly any original thought gone into the car. They will never be anything but “best of the rest” without being original.

Also, I can’t see Stroll getting the best people that he needs and building a team. At the moment, they’re all second best; Sznafnauer talks the talk, but he’s never won anything. There’s no evidence he knows what a winning team looks like.

Maybe if they can extract Toto Wolff from Mercedes, but why would he leave?

I did struggle to believe that they could win whilst using Merc Tech (has a team ever won a title whilst using an works team engine?).

Aston Martin a developing their own V6 electrified engine for their road cars, the AMG V8 going. I wonder if there is some vision to producing their own F1 engines.

PFGEN

GCM
And how would Benz Insider know confidential details of Hamilton’s contract negotiation? For those to leak would be a huge breach of personal trust.

Fake news that has already been called out by Mercedes.
That's interesting. It was reported in the local rag which usually tends to do a bit of fact checking. I guess they got suckered in as well and somebody forgot to check with the Mercedes press office.

Latest Threads