Formula 1 - 2021 season

This is why I love Monaco.

Interesting to compare with 30 years before

The best rise to the top there.

Interesting indeed.
Comparison- Senna's car sounds proper, and he had to complete each lap with one hand on the wheel for about 50% of the time.

Augustus

War Hero
Have to say, I disagree with George Russell on the incident. VB comes across from left to take line, stops when he realises Russell is there, Russell's already shat himself, puts two wheels on grass and that's all she wrote.

Agree wholeheartedly with @theinventor about the smacking of Bottas' head as well. VB is still in the car, unknown if he has a neck injury and whilst the blow had as much force as a fart, it's still a stupid thing to do, regardless of who was at fault.

I loved GR's outing in the Merc last year, handled it very well and made VB look a little bit pedestrian, despite having vastly more experience than GR.

I see that he hasn't calmed down his rhetoric even some time after the race. I suggest Toto gets a grip of him and shows him the steering traces from VB's car, showing he didn't turn into him.

It won’t be lost on Toto that the incident occurred as one of his Mercedes was being overtaken, in a points scoring position, by a Williams.

Sure George Russell was a little over-indignant after the incident, but it was also aimed at demonstrating that in a 50:50 racing situation he was placing the blame firmly on Bottas for not using his mirrors. The selfish self-regard that all great racing drivers have.

Toto has to publicly back Bottas as he is one of his team drivers, but, I suspect, he will be delighted that one of his other boys was getting into that situation and wasn’t shy in taking his opportunity.

Will Bottas see the season out at Mercedes? It’s looking like a long shot that Verstappen can invoke his Red Bull non-performance clause and move to BrackleY for 2022. So perhaps Toto should get George in the car sooner rather than later.....?

. . . Will Bottas see the season out at Mercedes? It’s looking like a long shot that Verstappen can invoke his Red Bull non-performance clause and move to BrackleY for 2022. So perhaps Toto should get George in the car sooner rather than later.....?
Eh?!

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
I’m glad I’m not the only one who failed to make any sense of that post.

Max has a performance get-out clause in his contract. If Red Bull don't provide him with a decent car, he can invoke that clause and terminate his contract early. He could go to Mercedes, which is based in Brackley, next year.

George is a Mercedes driver, signed to Toto Wolff and the thought is that if Lewis leaves after this season, there is a place for George to go. Both Lewis and Bottas are on their final contract year, so it could be all change next season.

I don't really watch F1 these days, the only occasion that I might would be Monaco.

It isn't really about the racing, it is about glamour, the setting etc. Cars have been too wide to race properly there since the 1970's. I can't imagine F1 without Monaco.
Not to forget the biggest annual event of new multi-million ( billions?) of bespoke Super-yacht commissioning & "used" ships.
Plus everything else in terms of deal making probably including oligarchs prospecting "fresh meat";) to ( cough) occupy their hidden luxury pads.
F1 makes a terrific side-show backdrop though.:)

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
I can.

Close your eyes for a moment and it's a rather pleasant image.

I humbly disagree.

Whilst the racing at Monaco is really second rate, it is the jewel in F1's crown. A lot of business deals get done there during the unique four day weekend.

The cars look stupidly fast on TV as they navigate the twists and turns of Monaco and there is always the opportunity for an unexpected end to someone's race.

I for one, wouldn't like to see it replaced by another faceless, dull Tilke track with no history behind it.

I humbly disagree.

Whilst the racing at Monaco is really second rate, it is the jewel in F1's crown. A lot of business deals get done there during the unique four day weekend.

The cars look stupidly fast on TV as they navigate the twists and turns of Monaco and there is always the opportunity for an unexpected end to someone's race.

I for one, wouldn't like to see it replaced by another faceless, dull Tilke track with no history behind it.
Was it just me or did yesterday's venue look an utter crock of shyte?

Carbon 6

War Hero

It’s just not the same without this:

1EB3D548-AD01-4C8F-97EF-F3FB014872F3.jpeg

Very dated old school track that hasn’t had much money spent on it for over 20 years. Tilke designed new pits about 15 years ago, but that’s all.

It doesn’t host any other major championships; sporadically it’s had World Super Bikes, ELMS and touring cars.

They pitched for the Italian GP a few years ago when Monza last renegotiated, which would have brought in the investment.

TBH I’m not sure how it keeps it’s F1 licence.

I thought Ferrari own Mugello?

Incidentally, the President of Imola’s holding company is Giancarlo Minardi, founder and former owner of what is now the Alpha Tauri team.