Formula 1 - 2021 season

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Made me giggle.

people slag brundle - and he can be a cnut - but he saw Schumacher off more than a few times pre-f1. and you don't win Le Mans by accident either.

EDIT - as pointed out by BTB, Senna.

I blame it on the excitement. and being a mong. **mmmmiilllllaaarrrrrr**

Last edited:

TamH70

MIA
Any outcome on the steward's inquiry? Or is Mr Woko Halaal keeping his win to set up a winner takes all thingy in whatever Emirati shithole the last GP is being held in?

MB was a bad injury (and a few sponsors) away from being quite tasty. He's a marmite pundit but the man had talent.
Very marmite, I find him irritating, but he does come out with some cracking one liners and snarky little digs at times and I got to quite like him when he gives Karen Weasel a hard time. Not quite sure how Sky coverage always turns into the Horner Show, unless he pays them for the air time

Ritch

LE
Any outcome on the steward's inquiry? Or is Mr Woko Halaal keeping his win to set up a winner takes all thingy in whatever Emirati shithole the last GP is being held in?

Halal? He's vegetarian as far as I know.

Ritch

LE
MB was a bad injury (and a few sponsors) away from being quite tasty. He's a marmite pundit but the man had talent.

Very marmite. I can't stand him. It seems as though he believes he and he alone belongs on the grid to do the grid walk.

R0B

War Hero
Did Michael Masi tell Mercedes during the race that the Lewis overtake on Crashie was a borderline Black flag/DQ? I thought I heard that but not sure I can watch it all again to find out.

Statistics

War Hero
Very marmite, I find him irritating, but he does come out with some cracking one liners and snarky little digs at times and I got to quite like him when he gives Karen Weasel a hard time. Not quite sure how Sky coverage always turns into the Horner Show, unless he pays them for the air time
Agree. He was quick, deserved more. But he's been there and done it. We ain't..Crofty can burn at the stake....!!! Jonny Herbert another....an injury away from being mustard.

people slag brundle - and he can be a cnut - but he saw Schumacher off more than a few times pre-f1. and you don't win Le Mans by accident either.
Not Schumacher he saw off pre-F1, it was Ayrton Senna in British F3 in 1983. Absolutely brilliant season of racing; they were at it hammer and tongues all year.

The only time Brundle competed with Schumacher outside F1 was in the World Endurance Championship when Schumacher was in the Gp C Mercedes when Brundle and Brundle was in the Jaguar. By then Brundle has six seasons of F1 under his belt and had come very close to having his foot amputated after his Detroit crash in the Tyrell.

When they were teammates at Benetton in 92, Schumacher was generally faster in qualifying, but Brundle often beat him in the race. All down to racecraft.

In my book, Martin Brundle is probably the greatest F1 driver never to win a Grand Prix. He came pretty close though. His peak as a commentator was with Murray. Top bloke though.

Ritch

LE
I did laugh when he started wittering on about being shown appropriate respect when a bodyguard kept him away from his prey on a grid walk

I remember one incident a couple of years ago when he and this Italian bird working for another network had a little fight over who was to interview Danny Ric. In the end, MB basically hip barged her out of the way and did the interview. When it was finished, he turned round and said "thanks very much!" and walked away. You could just feel the hatred pouring out of her!

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Not Schumacher he saw off pre-F1, it was Ayrton Senna in British F3 in 1983. Absolutely brilliant season of racing; they were at it hammer and tongues all year.

The only time Brundle competed with Schumacher outside F1 was in the World Endurance Championship when Schumacher was in the Gp C Mercedes when Brundle and Brundle was in the Jaguar. By then Brundle has six seasons of F1 under his belt and had come very close to having his foot amputated after his Detroit crash in the Tyrell.

When they were teammates at Benetton in 92, Schumacher was generally faster in qualifying, but Brundle often beat him in the race. All down to racecraft.

In my book, Martin Brundle is probably the greatest F1 driver never to win a Grand Prix. He came pretty close though. His peak as a commentator was with Murray. Top bloke though.

duh. Senna. absolutely correct BTB.

re crashie - this is probably his one chance and he knows it. even if RB have hung on to the Honda engineering team for next year, not having the resources of the Honda corps at their disposal next year is still going to unsettle them and put them on the back foot, certainly in comparison to Merc.

plus as I've probably said before, where is he going to go? or more correctly, where is he going to go where he's going to get the same treatment as he does now? no top team is either going to want to know full stop (ferrari, merc) or is going to look askance at his insistence of no.1 treatment (AM).

if he doesn't win next week, he isn't going to get another chance with RB. he's signed to them until '23 I believe. fair enough, he probably has performance clauses written into that - but then we come back to the question of where will he go? and by '24 he's going to be yesterdays man. even if RB immediately get a works engine deal for next season, how long is that going to take to come good (if it ever does?)

his idiot dad, karen and helmet have painted him into a corner - unless he had MS or LH levels of skill - in which case he wouldn't need to drive like he does - and even if he takes the title next week, it's difficult to see how he can come back from it. only a midfield team is going to see any benefit from having his name on the car, and a midfield car isn't going to win you any more titles.

re crashie - this is probably his one chance and he knows it. even if RB have hung on to the Honda engineering team for next year, not having the resources of the Honda corps at their disposal next year is still going to unsettle them and put them on the back foot, certainly in comparison to Merc.

plus as I've probably said before, where is he going to go? or more correctly, where is he going to go where he's going to get the same treatment as he does now? no top team is either going to want to know full stop (ferrari, merc) or is going to look askance at his insistence of no.1 treatment (AM).

if he doesn't win next week, he isn't going to get another chance with RB. he's signed to them until '23 I believe. fair enough, he probably has performance clauses written into that - but then we come back to the question of where will he go? and by '24 he's going to be yesterdays man. even if RB immediately get a works engine deal for next season, how long is that going to take to come good (if it ever does?)

his idiot dad, karen and helmet have painted him into a corner - unless he had MS or LH levels of skill - in which case he wouldn't need to drive like he does - and even if he takes the title next week, it's difficult to see how he can come back from it. only a midfield team is going to see any benefit from having his name on the car, and a midfield car isn't going to win you any more titles.
Sounds like Piquet after his '87 title. Great driver but had upset too many people.

Exactly. I was only thinking this morning reading comments on PF1 that Verstappen has to break clean from his father. His situation isn’t unlike Hamilton’s was when his father was managing him, except that McLaren had far less toxic managers than Karen and the Helmet. Relying on Daddy mid 20s isn’t cool.

I suspect that the new rules will produce nothing new. Mercedes will dominate. Red Bull will drift backwards without a works engine and, by the time they can do something about it (VW in the next engine rules 26 IIRC?), Lewis will have retired with ten titles and George Russell will have his first.

I’m still sticking to my prediction of two years ago; the next world champion not driving a Merc will be driving a McLaren.

Edited to add; by the time Lewis was Max’s age, he had 6 championships under his belt in cars. Crashie has a very round zero.

Last edited:

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Sounds like Piquet after his '87 title. Great driver but had upset too many people.

he had three titles he could point to by that point.

he had three titles he could point to by that point.
True, but he did end up at an obviously declining team while still in his prime, which would be analogous to Verstappen going to Aston Martin or similar.