Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It did strike me as odd that LHs actions, though deemed unsafe, had not caused an incident, yet CLC hoofs someone up the rear, sending them into the wall and that’s fine.

Yet when Albon somewhat ambitiously tried to overtake LH on the outside of a corner where he was always going to get pushed to the edge of the track, they bounce wheels LH gets 2 points.

Yet when Albon somewhat ambitiously tried to overtake LH on the outside of a corner where he was always going to get pushed to the edge of the track, they bounce wheels LH gets 2 points.

LH admitted it was his fault. (For one of them he did, I can’t remember which one).

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
If he misses a race it should be for breaking the rules of racing, not because he’s a petulant child outside of it.

Just like everyone else. If you treat the only black driver any differently to the other drivers then you give him a bigger platform to prance on.
My point was that he seems to have gone so far up his own fundament that he believes the rules do not apply to him, and uses the race card to pretend he's a victim. If you don't want penalty points, don't break the rules, whoever you are and however good you are.

My point was that he seems to have gone so far up his own fundament that he believes the rules do not apply to him, and uses the race card to pretend he's a victim. If you don't want penalty points, don't break the rules, whoever you are and however good you are.

He has a point that the rules are not applied indiscriminately across the board.

wheel

LE
LH admitted it was his fault. (For one of them he did, I can’t remember which one).
It was the closed pit lane incident
What evidence do you have to back that statement up ?.

The previous one he admitted, which was a lunge on a corner he was never going to win, this one he had track position and left a car's width, Albon decided not to back out but would have known an experienced driver would push him to the track limit. Had Albon backed off a bit he would have had further opportunities to challenge LH. I thought it was a bit of a rookie error the sort Max would make at the beginning of his career.

Last edited:

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
It was the closed pit lane incident

What evidence do you have to back that statement up ?.
I know it was the practising starts in the pit lane.

He knew it was wrong when he was told it was wrong and possibly when he did it. The rule applies to all. They are not going to change it for him for any reason. He can pretend he hadn't read the guidelines but he was caught. The evidence that he thinks he is 'speshul' is the bitching and sulking on the radio.

He did get a grip later, and drove really well to get third, but this experienced veteran of so many races should know better about following the rules, many of which are there for his safety!!

I'm off to bed now, so disagree all you like. I won't expect the rules of arrse to change to suit me.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
How hard they fall. Up till last year Lewis could do no wrong. Possible 7th championship in the offing with Sir Lewis following at some point. Doyen of the fans. I suspect that may change this year after his comments. All he has to do to complete the crash is get down on his knees at the start of the races when they play the national anthem.

Being a bit thick....perhaps someone brighter than me could explain in short staccato terms....why hasn't this d1ck been knighted yet ?

Most succesful British driver in living memory....

Being a bit thick....perhaps someone brighter than me could explain in short staccato terms....why hasn't this d1ck been knighted yet ?

Because he’s black?

wheel

LE
I know it was the practising starts in the pit lane.

He knew it was wrong when he was told it was wrong and possibly when he did it. The rule applies to all. They are not going to change it for him for any reason. He can pretend he hadn't read the guidelines but he was caught. The evidence that he thinks he is 'speshul' is the bitching and sulking on the radio.

He did get a grip later, and drove really well to get third, but this experienced veteran of so many races should know better about following the rules, many of which are there for his safety!!

I'm off to bed now, so disagree all you like. I won't expect the rules of arrse to change to suit me.
He asked for permission on practicing starts and his team gave him the ok thus his penalty points were revoked on radio replay evidence. So where has he used his race card then ? . I may not agree with some of the statements he comes out with but I disagree with the way you are always slagging him off without just cause .

Carbon 6

War Hero

They didn't grant a knighthood to John Surtees either, the only racer to win championships on two and four wheels, partly because he was an outspoken martinet who rubbed the establishment the wrong way. The establishment has long memories.

They didn't grant a knighthood to John Surtees either, the only racer to win championships on two and four wheels, partly because he was an outspoken martinet who rubbed the establishment the wrong way. The establishment has long memories.

Hunt would have probably put some notches on various Buckingham Palaces bedposts!

Knighthoods weren’t dished out to sportsmen like confetti in the 60s. Only two of 1966 World Cup winners were Knighted, we’ll after the event for services subsequently rendered to football.

In the last ten years, Alistair Cook, Andrew Strauss, Andy Murray, Ben Ainslie, Mo Farah, Bradley Wiggins, Katherine Grainger and Jessica Ennis-Hill have all been knighted for sports achievements pretty much contemporary with Hamilton. All very worthy sportsmen and women, but none are / were anywhere near global GOATs. Take Murray; doesn’t scrape into the top 50 Grand Slam winners. Alistair Cook probably comes nearest; fifth most test runs. Ben Ainslie; four golds in an obscure sailing dinghy that few people sail.

Personally, I’m not in favour of Knighthood for winning sports. But they’re handed out. Hamilton is arguably Britain’s greatest ever sportsman; makes you wonder why he’s never been Knighted. One for Jimmy Anderson too....

Augustus

War Hero
Knighthoods weren’t dished out to sportsmen like confetti in the 60s. Only two of 1966 World Cup winners were Knighted, we’ll after the event for services subsequently rendered to football.

In the last ten years, Alistair Cook, Andrew Strauss, Andy Murray, Ben Ainslie, Mo Farah, Bradley Wiggins, Katherine Grainger and Jessica Ennis-Hill have all been knighted for sports achievements pretty much contemporary with Hamilton. All very worthy sportsmen and women, but none are / were anywhere near global GOATs. Take Murray; doesn’t scrape into the top 50 Grand Slam winners. Alistair Cook probably comes nearest; fifth most test runs. Ben Ainslie; four golds in an obscure sailing dinghy that few people sail.

Personally, I’m not in favour of Knighthood for winning sports. But they’re handed out. Hamilton is arguably Britain’s greatest ever sportsman; makes you wonder why he’s never been Knighted. One for Jimmy Anderson too....

There’s a decent track record of tax exiles not getting recognition in line with their achievements e.g. David Niven, despite being an Oscar winner, never getting a knighthood because he moved to Switzerland.

Some do get through the net such as Jackie Stewart, but that was because he made a political statement about taxation in Britain in the 1970s that chimed with the Thatcher government. I can’t see Lewis’s political statements landing well with the current government. Perhaps his best bet is to wait for new Magic Grandpa and his Marxists to get in.

Which would complete the irony of course - multi millionaire private jet owning tax exile who drives cars in circles right across the globe campaigning for fairness, campaigning for a reduction in greenhouse gas emissions by going vegan, campaigning against slavery whilst being paid by Mercedes, campaigning for positive discrimination against whites even though his mother is one etc etc.

Latest Threads