Formula 1 - 2020 season

And more importantly, Renault are bringing Alonso back! Didn’t really expect that one, given his age.

It rather leaves Vettel up the creak without a paddle with no midfield team to go to.

Presumably, Fred will be bringing his manager back to Enstone with him.....
Hopefully Bottas will continue the season as he has started, making Merc less likely to bring Vettel in to disrupt the team

Hopefully Bottas will continue the season as he has started, making Merc less likely to bring Vettel in to disrupt the team
To me, the only way Vettel would be going to Mercedes was if Bottas had gone to Renault. Even then, I think Merc would have been more likely to go for Russell. I don’t buy that Mercedes want a German; they’re well beyond that now. I really can’t see Mercedes dumping Bottas.

Not that, IMHO, Bottas started the season well. He may have won, but he was a very lucky boy. Had he not gone off in Q3, Hamilton would not have had a grid penalty and would have been on pole or at worst alongside him. Even with Hamilton staring P5, Bottas was lucky; Hamilton was all over him when the first Safety Car happened and would surely have passed. And finally, Mercedes refused to put Hamilton on to softs for the last stint, presumably because their policy is to protect whichever is leading. Had LH been on softs, there would have been no Albon incident and he would surely have closed down Bottas.

Lucky boy, Valtieri.

To me, the only way Vettel would be going to Mercedes was if Bottas had gone to Renault. Even then, I think Merc would have been more likely to go for Russell. I don’t buy that Mercedes want a German; they’re well beyond that now. I really can’t see Mercedes dumping Bottas.

Not that, IMHO, Bottas started the season well. He may have won, but he was a very lucky boy. Had he not gone off in Q3, Hamilton would not have had a grid penalty and would have been on pole or at worst alongside him. Even with Hamilton staring P5, Bottas was lucky; Hamilton was all over him when the first Safety Car happened and would surely have passed. And finally, Mercedes refused to put Hamilton on to softs for the last stint, presumably because their policy is to protect whichever is leading. Had LH been on softs, there would have been no Albon incident and he would surely have closed down Bottas.

Lucky boy, Valtieri.
I agree the luck went his way. It was, however. a well driven race and a good haul of points towards the Constructors' Championship. None of which will do him any harm at Merc HQ

Longinthegums

Old-Salt
Whilst I would shit myself at the speeds these guys drive, I would still find time to use my indicators before driving into someone.

The mirrors on an F1 car have an extraordinarily small field big view. Hamilton would have been able to see Albon start his move, But once alongside, he would have no way of knowing whether Albon was committed or backing out until he saw Albon in front or back in his mirrors. The blindspot is huge.

@Morticiaskeeper has this one right; Albon got himself into a stupid situation where a tiny error from another driver would cost him the race. Perhaps if Albon actually had a track record of winning anything he’d be more careful. At the moment, his racecraft belongs in F3.
And, your job as a race steward begins when ?

As always stewards have more than one source of video, from various angles, they made their decision based on their experience, the fact that Brundle disagrees makes my G-A-F 'o' metter move not a milimetre. He's entitled to an opinion,that's it !

And, your job as a race steward begins when ?

As always stewards have more than one source of video, from various angles, they made their decision based on their experience, the fact that Brundle disagrees makes my G-A-F 'o' metter move not a milimetre. He's entitled to an opinion,that's it !
Never been a Steward. Been a Marshall at upwards of 100 meetings, including two Grand Prix and four WEC races.

Being a race steward isn’t a job. They are usually drawn from the great and good of the hosting nation’s organising authority. It’s likely that only the FIA’s Driver Steward will have ever driven a racing car let alone a modern F1 car and not all Driver Stewards are ex F1 drivers.

To exacerbate the issue, one camera angle the stewards don’t have is the mirrors. I’ve often thought that a camera that “mirrors” the mirrors would be beneficial. It would certainly deal with the “he should have looked in his mirrors” armchair experts who have never sat in a formula car let alone raced one ( I’ve got 23 Formula Ford races in my log, albeit 30+ years ago).

Next time you’re driving down the motorway, think about the blind spot in your rear view mirrors......

the fact that Brundle disagrees makes my G-A-F 'o' metter move not a milimetre. He's entitled to an opinion,that's it !
Adding to my last. Martin Brundle has driven more different F1 cars than anyone who has walked on the planet. He matched both Ayrton Senna in F3 and was quicker in races than Michael Schumacher in the Benettons in 92. He’s a former World Endurance Champion and his Le Mans win in the Jaguar included one of the greatest ever night stints. But for his Tyrell crash at Dallas he’d probably be a multiple world champion. Listen to his podcast on that crash and you’ll realise he’s a man with serious balls; drugged to the eyeballs, he realised they were going to amputate his foot. Plus, he invented the grid walk.

So I’m inclined to respect his opinion......

Last edited:
To exacerbate the issue, one camera angle the stewards don’t have is the mirrors. I’ve often thought that a camera that “mirrors” the mirrors would be beneficial

Next time you’re driving down the motorway, think about the blind spot in your rear view mirrors......
Shouldn't be difficult to implement and would be useful aid. I'd try camera behind mirror with image cropped to what driver can see

Blind Spot(s) - why it's drummed into motorcyclists to perform 'life saver' before manoeuvre

In cars, A pillars are blind-spots which hide pedestrians and two-wheelers

Moving on

Six Formula One drivers decided against genuflecting to violent Marxists on Sunday:
Max Verstappen, Antonio Giovinazzi, Daniil Kvyat, Carlos Sainz, Charles LeClerc and Kimi Raikkonen

Now we know the six to cheer for

Plank Of The Week Lewis Hamilton - again

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Adding to my last. Martin Brundle has driven more different F1 cars than anyone who has walked on the planet. He matched both Ayrton Senna in F3 and was quicker in races than Michael Schumacher in the Benettons in 92. He’s a former World Endurance Champion and his Le Mans win in the Jaguar included one of the greatest ever night stints. But for his Tyrell crash at Detroit he’d probably be a multiple world champion. Listen to his podcast on that crash and you’ll realise he’s a man with serious balls; drugged to the eyeballs, he realised they were going to amputate his foot. Plus, he invented the grid walk.

So I’m inclined to respect his opinion......
I've defended MB on here before more than once - as you say, he ran senna **very** close pre F1 but then his single seater career kind of withered. but WEC titles and Le Mans must mean he did something right.

however, when seemingly the entire grid won't speak to you pre race, you do have to think there's something a bit off.

oh and @Ecosse - shouty bint?? you're talking about the woman I love. ;)

1594325189806.png

and don't try and tell me you wouldn't, either. ;)

I've defended MB on here before more than once - as you say, he ran senna **very** close pre F1 but then his single seater career kind of withered. but WEC titles and Le Mans must mean he did something right.

however, when seemingly the entire grid won't speak to you pre race, you do have to think there's something a bit off.

View attachment 488445

Nooo! I would too...in me dreams.
It's a bloke I'm referring to.
He does..to put it politely..get a bit over excited.

View attachment 488445

His F1 career was severely hampered by his Dallas accident which meant he couldn’t left foot brake. In the days of manual gearboxes that was a significant disability. But he went away for a couple of years as the star driver in the Jaguar line up before coming back to F1 for his best years, partnering Schumacher at Benetton and then driving the McLaren.

Have a listen to his podcast chat with Mark Howard; he comes across as a very humble bloke. He also deals with why the grid walk no longer works, particularly why the young drivers don’t want to talk. He thinks the grid walk has had its time.

Where can I find that podcast?
Mark Howard’s podcast series The Howie Games. There are links in the website

The motor racing ones are great. Brundle, Lewis Hamilton, Dan Ricciardo, Mark Webber, Craig Lowndes, Scott McLachlan and Larry Perkins. Obviously Australian focused but Mark Howard is an Aussie.

Some of the obscure sports ones are interesting too. Howard has a good way of getting in to peoples lives.

Dr Death

War Hero
Hamilton to cause another crash on Sunday and blame someone else?
Would be nice to see Hamilton & Vettel have a fist fight over who has the biggest ego in F1

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer

everyone seems to be closing the door on Seb. I'm kind of surprised that a team will welcome alonso back but not have seb...

Nooo! I would too...in me dreams.
It's a bloke I'm referring to.
He does..to put it politely..get a bit over excited.
David Croft?

everyone seems to be closing the door on Seb. I'm kind of surprised that a team will welcome alonso back but not have seb...
Alonso isn't booed when he's on podium

Latest Threads