Formula 1 - 2020 season

They (Mercedes), might stop because they are under pressure from their parent company to cut costs. It would be very difficult to convince the bean counters that the rewards match the financial outlay.
They could sell the F1 team, but continue to develop/manufacture engines, so sell/supply to other F1 race teams !!

The engines are the hi-tech engineering, kudos, technical items, from which I would imagine Mercedes do benefit, and would like to continue doing so.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Why do Mercedes and the other teams accept that Ferrari gets more money from prizes not linked to their results? A sport should be fair at least in theory with its rules. This is unfairness made official. Ferrari can win zero races and finish 5th in the standings and they still would get more money than the teams that deserved to be on top. So they always have more money to develop their new car and to hire the best staff.
for someone insistent that they're a fan, you really do know fcuk all about fcuk all don't you??

Don’t call me Shirley. :pissedoff:

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
in other comedy news - "I'm not done with F1," insists Alonso

"I'm not done with F1," he tells F1 Racing magazine. "2021 is a good opportunity and I feel fresh and ready now. It's something I will explore.
Formula One is unfinished business because people think that we deserved more than we achieved," he continues, "especially in the last few years... In my museum there are cabinets with a lot of trophies, but nothing recently and that seems a bit weird."

not really mate...there would be more if you hadn't insisted on royally winding everyone up in the pitlane...

Carbon 6

Old-Salt

"I'm not done with F1," he tells F1 Racing magazine. "2021 is a good opportunity and I feel fresh and ready now. It's something I will explore.
Formula One is unfinished business because people think that we deserved more than we achieved," he continues, "especially in the last few years... In my museum there are cabinets with a lot of trophies, but nothing recently and that seems a bit weird."

not really mate...there would be more if you hadn't insisted on royally winding everyone up in the pitlane...
Alonso talks about Louis Hamilton's supposed weaknesses that he, Alonso, could use to his advantage.

Firstly; who would employ Alonso, with his record of disruptive behaviour?

Secondly; is he out of his mind? Hamilton would destroy him, even in equal machinery.

I think Alonso might be ruing listening to the Emperor.

Yesterday he stated that he regretted calling the Honda engine in his McLaren a GP2 engine.

Today it appears that the Andretti drive he was supposedly lined up with for Indianapolis has fallen through. The reason? Honda have vetoed it.

The leading Chevrolet teams are full. He’s just burnt his bridges with McLaren so McLaren-Schmidt isn’t an option. So there’s only back marker teams left. No wonder he’s ready to come back to F1.

Karma is a wonderful thing. Graham Hill’s record of being the only Triple Crown winner looks safe. And, having walked out on Toyotas LMP setup, Alonso now has no drive. Anywhere.

I think Alonso might be ruing listening to the Emperor.

Yesterday he stated that he regretted calling the Honda engine in his McLaren a GP2 engine.

Today it appears that the Andretti drive he was supposedly lined up with for Indianapolis has fallen through. The reason? Honda have vetoed it.

The leading Chevrolet teams are full. He’s just burnt his bridges with McLaren so McLaren-Schmidt isn’t an option. So there’s only back marker teams left. No wonder he’s ready to come back to F1.

Karma is a wonderful thing. Graham Hill’s record of being the only Triple Crown winner looks safe. And, having walked out on Toyotas LMP setup, Alonso now has no drive. Anywhere.
oh dear how sad.jpg

Mercedes appear to have something going on.
If you listen closely, you can hear the Disco Dancing Donkey submitting the first of many, many challenges and assorted cries of 'Foul! we wanted to be the first team to come up with that!' :cool:

Statistics

Old-Salt
Been an interesting day and a half so far. Delighted to see Williams have made big progress. Racing Point.......have copied Merc in bits....reliability from all teams has been superb. Not sure I'd be happy with a steering wheel that moves at 200mph!!!

Been an interesting day and a half so far. Delighted to see Williams have made big progress. Racing Point.......have copied Merc in bits....reliability from all teams has been superb. Not sure I'd be happy with a steering wheel that moves at 200mph!!!

That steering wheel is going to be a nifty trick if it passes all the legalities. The team manager seems to think it's all ok with the FIA but I'd imagine there's going to be some questioning by the other teams.

Carbon 6

Old-Salt
Ferrari straight in asking if the DAS is legal.
Whether DAS is legal or illegal, real or just a wind-up by Mercedes, they've got into Ferrari's and every other team's heads already. Clever.

Though, given the speed of the Mercedes during testing, they do seem to have something special this year.

Last edited:
Whether DAS is legal or illegal, real or just a wind-up by Mercedes, the've got into Ferrari's and every other team's heads already. Clever.

Though, given the speed of the Mercedes during testing, they do seem to have something special this year.
I have watched all the testing sessions apart from this morning as I was working. The lap amounts are huge in comparison to other years but I suppose this year is another evolution of the rules rather than a new line that next year will be. I'm not sure how much sandbagging is going on but on the long runs the Merc does look impressive.

I have watched all the testing sessions apart from this morning as I was working. The lap amounts are huge in comparison to other years but I suppose this year is another evolution of the rules rather than a new line that next year will be. I'm not sure how much sandbagging is going on but on the long runs the Merc does look impressive.
To me the Mercs look stellar. I wouldn’t be surprised if their race pace isn’t 2 seconds a lap above the rest. DAS will also let them run softer tyres for longer. What is surprising is how well adapted Hamilton and Bottas are adapted to using it; they must have done some hours in the sim over night.

Ferrari look a mess. Although not shambolic in the sense of Williams last year, they really haven’t managed to string a program together without problems. I think they’re a long way back from Merc. Red Bull May be sandbagging but the car doesn’t look anywhere near as planted as the Merc. I don’t think there’s any chance of them having passed Merc.

Best of the rest? Racing Point are probably show boating. Their car is a cynical copy of the W10 and probably hasn’t got much more pace to find. It’s unlikely to be any quicker that the W10 was last year; the other top teams will have moved forward and will have development room.

McLaren look really good. I think they may have jumped a place, maybe even two. The car looks like it’s got a lot of development scope too. And hats off to Williams; they look firm midfield to me. Not much to say about Alfa or Alpha. Haas look to me to be the likely back marker. Renault, who knows. Until they get rid of Abitofatool their going nowhere.

I’m not seeing anything from this testing session to suffers that 2020 is going to be about anything but the crowning of Lewis Hamilton as the GOAT. Wouldn’t surprise me to see him pass 100 wins this year. Get in there Lewis!

A little bit on the new Merc.

Merc are suggesting that Ferrari were heavily sandbagging in Spain, with their engineers turned right down according to Merc's data analysis.

The alternative view from reading Vettel's body language is that they have built a dog. Apparently Seb does not do a good poker face and he didn't appear to be very impressed by his new red donkey.

Latest Threads