Formula 1 - 2020 season

Danatanian

Old-Salt
If the UK were to get another GP,I would love it to be on a 'real roads' circuit like the NW200.If they can race round Baku,they can race anywhere.
There were plans for a street circuit in London a while back. Think it was canned because the surface was so bad the cars would have been trashed by the second lap.

A repurposed Heathrow third runway coverted to hold F1...? ...that long straight would satisfy the speed merchants and for interest the rest of the circuit could be chicanes around dozens of dormant A380s lying on the outfields of runways 1 & 2...

I have to say I find street circuits utterly dire. I would have more older-style circuits with proper runoffs and importantly grass verges before a tarmac runoff so mistakes and cutting corners actually can really damage a race.

And one country that has made a disproportionate contribution to the history of F1 should get a second race; the UK. Scottish drivers have made a bigger contribution to the history of the sport than Finnish; why not a Scottish Grand Prix?
An Edinburgh street circuit centred around Castle would work well, plenty of spectator space too

Knockhill is a no - poor infrastructure

RAF East Fortune site a possibility: good road (A1) access from North & South - Melville Motor Club

Need to be rid of the Poison Dwarf first

I think he has a point in that certain demographics are under represented in Formula 1, and motor sport in general. I don't think that's down to any form of exclusion but more a general lack of interest
Spot on. People choose interests/jobs they like and if good rise to top. Lots of black footballers, athletes, boxers etc at top and whitey could complain 'over represented, we need Govt action, quotas etc'

PFGEN

GCM
Knockhi
As a Scot I am not sure that Knockhill in the rain is going to win us any fans. And if it doesn't rain the midges will get you !! .. I would love to see a second race here in the UK though and Brands Hatch brought up to spec to host it. New Zealand should have a race as well in my view, McLaren were founded by a Kiwi whose team have gone to become the second most successful and Bruce was someone I think all Formula 1 fans admire.

I would also personally like to see Silverstone developed as a British driver academy and engineering apprenticeship centre. Its close to all the teams and while I don't agree with the way Lewis has said certain things I think he has a point in that certain demographics are under represented in Formula 1, and motor sport in general. I don't think that's down to any form of exclusion but more a general lack of interest. Britian is basically the home of Formula 1 and we need to nurture the talent we have here and get them interested in a sport we lead the world in at a young age.
Having a quiet chuckle at the thought of Knockhill as an F1 venue. I guess hotel wise there's the likes of Gleneagles and various in Edinburgh. I'm not sure they'd find much around the Dunfermline area in sufficient quantity though. Maybe the Premier Inn at a push. Quite a few good local bakers who could do the sausage rolls and pies in the hospitality suites.

Last edited:
An Edinburgh street circuit centred around Castle would work well, plenty of spectator space too

Knockhill is a no - poor infrastructure

RAF East Fortune site a possibility: good road (A1) access from North & South - Melville Motor Club

Need to be rid of the Poison Dwarf first
Years back (70s / early 80s when the UK still had two F1 tracks) there was a proposal to run a Scottish Grand Prix outside of Scotland, rather like the Swiss and San Marino GPs which were really second races for France and Italy.

I can’t see F1 going to Scotland or Finland. Ever.

Danatanian

Old-Salt
Knockhi

Having a quiet chuckle at the thought of Knockhill as an F1 venue. I guess hotel wise there's the likes of Gleneagles and various in Edinburgh. I'm not sure they'd find much around the Dunfermline area in sufficient quantity though. Maybe the Premier Inn at a push. Quite a few good local bakers who could do the sausage rolls and pies in the hospitality suites.
Imagine the commentary ..

"Hello everyone and welcome to the Tunnocks Tea Cake Scottish Grand Prix. You join us here today with fine weather in Scotland, the rain is vertical as opposed to horizontal. Pirelli have brought four compounds today for the race today with the one designed for today's conditions basically a tractor tyre. The circuit looks fantastic right now as the heavy rain has washed away all the chip wrappers and Irn Bru tins. As expected the crowd are in fine voice and have been here since 6am drinking heavily. Things to look forward to today ?? .. this race being over basically. But if you insist .. Look out for slip streaming on the Fried Mars Bar straight and overtaking here could be a possibility into Buckfast Corner and the GetItRightUpYe hairpin. Its a one stop race as the Glasgow Neds have already placed themselves in the pit lane to nick the wheels that come off the cars and for the teams its all about minimising losses today.

And now over to your commentary teams who are struggling to be heard over the fans chanting "Anyone but Lando Norris, George Russell or Lewis Hamilton"

Danatanian

Old-Salt
Mercedes to race in an all black scheme this season, drivers to wear black overalls and their helmet designs are also being changed to to accommodate the scheme. Some of the most nauseating virtue signalling I have ever seen.

I wonder who was behind this.

ABL ,and ABM at this rate.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Mercedes to race in an all black scheme this season, drivers to wear black overalls and their helmet designs are also being changed to to accommodate the scheme. Some of the most nauseating virtue signalling I have ever seen.

FFS!!!

Imagine the commentary ..

"Hello everyone and welcome to the Tunnocks Tea Cake Scottish Grand Prix. You join us here today with fine weather in Scotland, the rain is vertical as opposed to horizontal. Pirelli have brought four compounds today for the race today with the one designed for today's conditions basically a tractor tyre. The circuit looks fantastic right now as the heavy rain has washed away all the chip wrappers and Irn Bru tins. As expected the crowd are in fine voice and have been here since 6am drinking heavily. Things to look forward to today ?? .. this race being over basically. But if you insist .. Look out for slip streaming on the Fried Mars Bar straight and overtaking here could be a possibility into Buckfast Corner and the GetItRightUpYe hairpin. Its a one stop race as the Glasgow Neds have already placed themselves in the pit lane to nick the wheels that come off the cars and for the teams its all about minimising losses today.

And now over to your commentary teams who are struggling to be heard over the fans chanting "Anyone but Lando Norris, George Russell or Lewis Hamilton"
Sounds like it could be the best Grand Prix ever.

Does look good in black though!

Danatanian

Old-Salt
Never going to match the JPS Lotus, but not far off.
JPS was iconic because of Lotus, this is just corporate pandering for a season. Mate just texted me and pointed out that, if you take the turquoise strip out, its basically a black base, silver trimming and a dash of red. Hugo Boss, the company that Hamilton models for, and also designer of virtually all wartime German uniforms, including the black silver and red SS uniforms would have loved that.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
JPS was iconic because of Lotus, this is just corporate pandering for a season. Mate just texted me and pointed out that, if you take the turquoise strip out, its basically a black base, silver trimming and a dash of red. Hugo Boss, the company that Hamilton models for, and also designer of virtually all wartime German uniforms, including the black silver and red SS uniforms would have loved that.
Black Suits Matter?

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

Actingunpaid

Old-Salt
So is Lewis going to wear black overalls and helmet?Will look like a driver-less car if he does.Perhaps he will have fluorescent adverts to satisfy the sponsors.

Latest Threads