Formula 1 - 2020 season

PFGEN

GCM
You seem surprised.
I wouldn't be surprised if the entire season is binned. Let's for the sake of things say that the travel restrictions are lifted by the end of August and the world is back to normal jogging. Want to have a race, that needs sponsors for the different tracks. Given that most of the sponsors will have been bleeding money at a rate of knots just how many are going to be interested in sponsoring a race? I don't know the answer just posing the possibility.

You only need 8 races for a season. Current thinking is they could extend it to January and hold of the new regs intended for 2021 until 2022.

It's feasible if they can start in late September or early October. Singapore is on 18th - 20th Sept and there are 6 races after that. Russia, Japan, USA, Mexico, Brazil and Abu Dhabi. Delay Abu Dhabi by a couple of weeks and you can fit another race in there, Dubai or Australia for instance and you have 8 races and the season finishing in December. It also means a lot of the contracts won't get messed up as they tend to run until 31/12.

It's feasible if they can start in late September or early October. Singapore is on 18th - 20th Sept and there are 6 races after that. Russia, Japan, USA, Mexico, Brazil and Abu Dhabi. Delay Abu Dhabi by a couple of weeks and you can fit another race in there, Dubai or Australia for instance and you have 8 races and the season finishing in December. It also means a lot of the contracts won't get messed up as they tend to run until 31/12.
All of that supposes that self-isolation works and the pandemic has abated. There’s no guarantee that an isolation strategy will work; without developing herd immunity, the virus could come back quickly. It further assumes that the virus doesn’t mutate.

It also assumes that there are enough viable F1 teams left on the latter part of the year. It’s by no means a certainty; Honda, Toyota, BMW and Renault all pulled the pin on their F1 operations in the GFC. The economic effect of COVID-19 is gong to be far deeper and more profound than 2008.

i don’t think it will be business as usual for F1 or any other sport when this has passed. Anyone who thinks it will be politically viable for a state to spend millions of taxpayers dollars on a motor race when it’s economy has contracted by 25% is living in a dream world.

It also pre-supposes that there are aircraft fit to fly all of them to where they need to be.

Then there's the possibility that international travel is going to be severely restricted for 12 months.

It'd be better/easier just to delay the season by a year, and that goes for many other sports and events. Get everybody nice and prepared for the next pandemic out of China.

It also pre-supposes that there are aircraft fit to fly all of them to where they need to be.

Then there's the possibility that international travel is going to be severely restricted for 12 months.

It'd be better/easier just to delay the season by a year, and that goes for many other sports and events. Get everybody nice and prepared for the next pandemic out of China.
IMHO the professional sports landscape is going to look very different when this is over.

The sight of professional sports teams that pay professional athletes six and seven figure salaries furloughing their players and seeking taxpayers money to pay their salaries is not going to sit well with people.

At least F1 teams have their core engineering excellence to fall back on.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
F1 in 2020 =

819uhc480cL._AC_SX355_.jpg

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
IMHO the professional sports landscape is going to look very different when this is over.

The sight of professional sports teams that pay professional athletes six and seven figure salaries furloughing their players and seeking taxpayers money to pay their salaries is not going to sit well with people.

At least F1 teams have their core engineering excellence to fall back on.
There are a lot more people working, for much, much smaller wage packets at football clubs who will need the furlough payments. The ticket sellers, shop staff, hospitality staff, kit boys, groundkeepers and others. I suspect the hugely paid players will not really be part of the furlough scheme, the lesser paid ones may be.

There are a lot more people working, for much, much smaller wage packets at football clubs who will need the furlough payments. The ticket sellers, shop staff, hospitality staff, kit boys, groundkeepers and others. I suspect the hugely paid players will not really be part of the furlough scheme, the lesser paid ones may be.
My comment wasn’t directed at them low paid staff though. There are professional sports teams that are putting high paid athletes on furlough.

For a laugh have a look at the demands of Australia‘s NRL players. Different country, but their self-entitlement is unbelievable. Most professional sports rely almost entirely on TV rights; they’re not going to get much income when they can’t supply games.

F1 is in a near unique position amongst global sports with regard to its incomes.

It is also looking very dodgy for MotoGP and bike racing as a whole.
I think that 2021 and onwards may see a serious reduction in the amount of expensive sports being staged with sponsors and TV income taking a big hit. Professional sportsmen (not many mega pay packet women) may also be seeing their big salary’s slashed for the next few years.

Apropos of my last post about F1 being unique amongst big sports, F1 can (and is) generating revenue and keeping its mega stars in the public eye using eSports. Lando Norris is currently dominating the Veloce Pro series.

IMHO F1 is in a unique position amongst global sports in that it’s teams can and are contributing to fighting the virus whilst It’s superstars can actually compete and entertain during the lock down.

I used to use bump steer to get the same effect as DAS
I used it a lot on MX and Trail bikes. On-road very useful for fast gap turns in rush hour. Doesn't work so well on large heavy bikes

Some more on Project Pitlane

F1 industry: rapid design, prototype manufacture, test and skilled assembly. F1’s unique ability to respond rapidly to engineering and technological challenges allows the group to add value to the wider engineering industry’s response

You only need 8 races for a season. Current thinking is they could extend it to January and hold of the new regs intended for 2021 until 2022.
FIA doing a Stasi:
"the addition of Article 1.3 to the Sporting Regulations, which means the governing body can now change certain articles with 60% support of the teams – rather then requiring unanimity"

FIA doing a Stasi:
"the addition of Article 1.3 to the Sporting Regulations, which means the governing body can now change certain articles with 60% support of the teams – rather then requiring unanimity"

Read an interview with Tost (Alpha principal) in which he talks about how the FIA are monitoring wind tunnel activity by remote camera to ensure that teams can’t start work on what is now 2022 aero until the end of this year.

The cameras in Ferrari’s wind tunnel have been fitted with a bypass device that allows them to run tapes of an empty wind tunnel when they’re cheating. Allegedly.

Latest Threads