Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I don't think I've seen a fireball like that since Nikki Lauda's crash on the Ring.
Riccardo Paletti 1982. Start line crash. Sid Watkins was working on a very badly injured Paletti when the fuel tank exploded.

Halo wasn’t intended to do what it did yesterday, but it certainly worked. Francois Cevert and Helmut Koenig were both died going through the Armco, albeit in far weaker cars.

TamH70

MIA
Riccardo Paletti 1982. Start line crash. Sid Watkins was working on a very badly injured Paletti when the fuel tank exploded.

Halo wasn’t intended to do what it did yesterday, but it certainly worked. Francois Cevert and Helmut Koenig were both died going through the Armco, albeit in far weaker cars.
Was Cevert the French driver who was Sir Jackie Stewart's protege, and was supposed to replace him as one of the top drivers?

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Was Cevert the French driver who was Sir Jackie Stewart's protege, and was supposed to replace him as one of the top drivers?
The same.

Do HAAS have Mr Bane's phone number? He'll get that fixed up no bother.

Yes, he died when his Tyrell went headlong through the barriers at Watkins Glenn in 1973. His body was severed in two.

Duckhams were a Team Lotus sponsor and made a documentary following them through the season. The scene at the end shows Jackie Stewart and Ken Tyrell being told that Cevert had died, with Colin Chapman coming over to comfort them. Makes a mockery of Netflix’s Drive to Survive. It’s on Duke but behind a paywall now.

so lewis on 95 wins after today - anyone want to bet against him getting the century by mid season next year?
A cheeky tenner on China please. Two races to go this year then bag the first three next year.

There’s still time to equal Schumacher and Vettel’s shared record for most wins in a season this year.

I was thinking of Paletti's incident. He, of course, died of a torn aorta after going into the back of Didier Pironi's stalled car at high speed; IIRC, the pathologist concluded that Sid Watkins' efforts would have been in vain even had he not had to back away while the fire was tackled.

For some reason, I see to remember there were huge clouds of extinguisher powder and fire crews converging on the scene - and a cameraman wearing protective kit consisting of a bright yellow polo shirt and a pair of chinos who was attempting to get in close to film the chaos, and sometimes was closer to Paletti's car than the marshalls and the rescue crew...

I was thinking of Paletti's incident. He, of course, died of a torn aorta after going into the back of Didier Pironi's stalled car at high speed; IIRC, the pathologist concluded that Sid Watkins' efforts would have been in vain even had he not had to back away while the fire was tackled.

For some reason, I see to remember there were huge clouds of extinguisher powder and fire crews converging on the scene - and a cameraman wearing protective kit consisting of a bright yellow polo shirt and a pair of chinos who was attempting to get in close to film the chaos, and sometimes was closer to Paletti's car than the marshalls and the rescue crew...
I recollect that there were concerns using cutting tools due to sparks flying and leaking fuel? Very sad accident.

syrup

LE
Yes, he died when his Tyrell went headlong through the barriers at Watkins Glenn in 1973. His body was severed in two.

Duckhams were a Team Lotus sponsor and made a documentary following them through the season. The scene at the end shows Jackie Stewart and Ken Tyrell being told that Cevert had died, with Colin Chapman coming over to comfort them. Makes a mockery of Netflix’s Drive to Survive. It’s on Duke but behind a paywall now.

There's a good documentary on Ronnie Peterson on Sky Documentary CH114
He was killed racing later on but it has the clip of that incident amongst others including Lauda.

Colin Chapman comes back down the pit saying "bloody hell it's Cevert" after they hear about the crash.

There's a good documentary on Ronnie Peterson on Sky Documentary CH114
He was killed racing later on but it has the clip of that incident amongst others including Lauda.

Colin Chapman comes back down the pit saying "bloody hell it's Cevert" after they hear about the crash.
Ronnie Peterson was one of my boyhood heroes; amazing control in a sliding car. One of my earliest racing memories is him hooning this around Silverstone.

They don’t make them that way anymore.

His mother was also at the scene.

Michel Trolle also split the barriers at Brands Hatch.

If it hadn't have been for the halo, Grosjean would have gone the same way as Daniel Wheldon.

Edited to correct autocorrect!

Sent from my neocore_E1R1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

syrup

LE
Ronnie Peterson was one of my boyhood heroes; amazing control in a sliding car. One of my earliest racing memories is him hooning this around Silverstone.

They don’t make them that way anymore.

Lauda credited him with teaching him left foot braking
He saw Ronnie doing it in his own car when he was giving him a lift to the track on their days off.
Even when casually driving he was still trying to find ways to shave time off his lap.

Interesting that people are saying Hamilton is the greatest of all time.
I'd like to see some of them boys get their hands on Hamilton's car

Lauda credited him with teaching him left foot braking
He saw Ronnie doing it in his own car when he was giving him a lift to the track on their days off.
Even when casually driving he was still trying to find ways to shave time off his lap.

Interesting that people are saying Hamilton is the greatest of all time.
I'd like to see some of them boys get their hands on Hamilton's car
I don’t know; I tend to think that today’s top guys are probably the best ever. They start so young, go through such a demanding selection process in the junior formulae, train so hard and are constantly deep in the technical in the simulator. Their repetitive precision is in a different league.

Petersen’s generation (probably all those before Prost) basically turned up and raced. Some turned up with a hangover having just got laid. But then who wouldn’t if you had 10%+ chance of dying when you raced.

It’s not just Motorsport; almost every other sport has gone through a transformation of capability in the last 20 years or so.

Augustus

War Hero
A rather good analysis of the crash . Bleedin' 'eck he was lucky.

Lucky? Stupid more like.

Grosjean arrived in Formula 1 in 2012 with a habit of swerving suddenly and dangerously across the track without using his mirrors, particularly on opening laps, and causing a number of dangerous and avoidable incidents.

9 seasons and almost 200 races later it appears he has learned nothing.

I am more than happy for him to kill himself, but it is unforgivable to take others with him like he almost did yesterday.

The sport is better off without him.

The irony being his life was saved by the safety device he so decried when it was introduced.

Lucky? Stupid more like.

Grosjean arrived in Formula 1 in 2012 with a habit of swerving suddenly and dangerously across the track without using his mirrors, particularly on opening laps, and causing a number of dangerous and avoidable incidents.

I am more than happy for him to kill himself, but it is unforgivable to take others with him like he almost did yesterday.

The irony being his life was saved by the safety device he so decried when it was introduced.
Err . . . is it too early to ask - should he return to F1 - will Grosjean recieve a penalty for yesterday's clearly "dangerous and avoidable incident", which could have (also) affected the Russian driver Daniil Kvyat, more seriously than it did ?!

Last edited:

wheel

LE
Lucky? Stupid more like.

Probably the most stupid statement on here ever, wishing someone dead.
From the replays it appears that he his moving to the right expecting the Alpha Romeo that has over run the corner to come back onto the track from the left between himself and the Ferrari in front of him.