Formula 1 - 2019 season

renault disqualified from the last race -

View attachment 424997

not quite sure how it can be legal but not compliant however... :???:
The device itself is not proscribed by the rules; they don’t specifically ban automatic brake bias adjusters. Its the effects that is not allowed; making the drivers job easier.

IMHO the FIA have managed this really well. A week ago there were articles suggesting Renault would face a lengthy ban. The net effect of that would probably be them leaving F1. Losing a couple of points finishes will be forgotten quickly.

i wonder who bubbled them? Hulkenburg?

I reckon Renault will be gone by the end of next year anyway. No customer team to help with engine development costs, underperforming, changes at the top of the company and another rich daddy looking to buy a team for his son.

Sent from my neocore_E1R1 using Tapatalk

I reckon Renault will be gone by the end of next year anyway. No customer team to help with engine development costs, underperforming, changes at the top of the company and another rich daddy looking to buy a team for his son.

Sent from my neocore_E1R1 using Tapatalk
They’re investing heavily into Enstone I believe. They really don’t help themselves though; Abiteboul came through the Renault business ranks. He’s never managed a successful racing team in any formula.

I too can see them gone (again) within a year or so.

BulbHead

Swinger
They’re investing heavily into Enstone I believe. They really don’t help themselves though; Abiteboul came through the Renault business ranks. He’s never managed a successful racing team in any formula.

I too can see them gone (again) within a year or so.
Agreed, I think they've spent too much money to jack it in at this stage, but Abiteboul needs to go. His attitude and approach seem pretty toxic, I for one wouldn't want to work for him...

Agreed, I think they've spent too much money to jack it in at this stage, but Abiteboul needs to go. His attitude and approach seem pretty toxic, I for one wouldn't want to work for him...
Of sure whether Abiteboul is toxic but he certainly comes across as “a bit of a tool” (sorry, couldn’t resist it).

He’s certainly no racer; he started off at Renault F1 managing their website before being promoted to the board to head marketing. From there Renault foisted him on Tony Fernandez as Lotus / Caterham Team Principal. From there he returned to Renault in the same role.

All of the great team principals have been racers; drivers, engineers or mechanics. They’ve also all been entrepreneurs, usually in motorsports. Briatore is the only exception with no racing background I can think of and he was a very successful entrepreneur.

BulbHead

Swinger
Of sure whether Abiteboul is toxic but he certainly comes across as “a bit of a tool” (sorry, couldn’t resist it).

He’s certainly no racer; he started off at Renault F1 managing their website before being promoted to the board to head marketing. From there Renault foisted him on Tony Fernandez as Lotus / Caterham Team Principal. From there he returned to Renault in the same role.

All of the great team principals have been racers; drivers, engineers or mechanics. They’ve also all been entrepreneurs, usually in motorsports. Briatore is the only exception with no racing background I can think of and he was a very successful entrepreneur.
I read an article on him recently and came to the same conclusion. Seems to be more intent on running his mouth (particularly in the latter days of the Red Bull engine deal) than evaluating and fixing their weaknesses. The main reason for Mercedes' dominance is their culture, where their mistakes are examined in microscopic detail and processes relentlessly honed to prevent a recurrence. Everything I hear from Renault and Abiteboul just sounds arrogant - no wonder results aren't exactly forthcoming (and employees are jumping ship with all their sneaky technical secrets)...

I read an article on him recently and came to the same conclusion. Seems to be more intent on running his mouth (particularly in the latter days of the Red Bull engine deal) than evaluating and fixing their weaknesses. The main reason for Mercedes' dominance is their culture, where their mistakes are examined in microscopic detail and processes relentlessly honed to prevent a recurrence. Everything I hear from Renault and Abiteboul just sounds arrogant - no wonder results aren't exactly forthcoming (and employees are jumping ship with all their sneaky technical secrets)...
Ultimately this is about leadership; Mercedes have put in place and empowered a strategic leadership team that should be studied on any academic leadership course.

The amazing thing for me is the sustained success; they’re in a different place from any previous F1 team. The Todt / Brawn team at Ferrari came close, but they had a massive budgetary technical advantage with Fiorano and Bridgestone. They could test at. Level no one else could approach.

The nearest equivalent to Mercedes I can think of is Ron Dennis and McLaren in the 80s. Anyone is a strategic leadership role should study Wolff and Dennis IMHO.

Ultimately this is about leadership; Mercedes have put in place and empowered a strategic leadership team that should be studied on any academic leadership course.

The amazing thing for me is the sustained success; they’re in a different place from any previous F1 team. The Todt / Brawn team at Ferrari came close, but they had a massive budgetary technical advantage with Fiorano and Bridgestone. They could test at. Level no one else could approach.

The nearest equivalent to Mercedes I can think of is Ron Dennis and McLaren in the 80s. Anyone is a strategic leadership role should study Wolff and Dennis IMHO.
How, why, did it - then - go so wrong for Ron Dennis ?!

How, why, did it - then - go so wrong for Ron Dennis ?!
Poor succession planning. Ron Dennis moved upwards and into a corporate role.

His successor, Martin Whitmarsh, was a composites engineer for BAE before joining McLaren to head their composites set up. He ran Hawk production for BAE; a serious job but neither a racer nor an entrepreneur. When Whitmarsh failed they appointed Boulier who wasn’t much better.

Zac Brown is bringing respectability back to McLaren. He’s a racing entrepreneur and he’s surrounded himself with other racers; de Ferran and Seidel.

C4 F1 Mexico Highlights

Qual: Sat 22:45-00:15 BST

Race: Mon 00:00-02:00 BST
Race: Sun 23:00-01:00 GMT

Edit: Add Race GMT time - on screen guide ignored BST ending

Last edited:
F1 Paddock Pass: Pre-Race At The 2019 Mexican Grand Prix

Why Renault was disqualified from F1's Japanese Grand Prix

Meh-Max V takes pole and the 2 Dancing Donkeys 2nd and 3rd, with LH tucked safely into 4th.

VB took a helluva slide into the weeds on the last corner-that was a nasty bang though he he's climbed out of the disassembled Merc.

f'cking 'ell Diresta is like a bad smell. you've got drivers who raced against him having to be interviwed with someone who drove a few years and got nowhere.

With Button around, I'd have had him on the interviews,

Statistics

Old-Salt
f'cking 'ell Diresta is like a bad smell. you've got drivers who raced against him having to be interviwed with someone who drove a few years and got nowhere.

With Button around, I'd have had him on the interviews,
At least Ted is back!!!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

And Ferrari kicking up a stink over Verstappen's last lap. "we had to slow down, but he didn't"

Another present from dad Jean to Nicolas. It's all set for a new Schumacher/Ferrari style show from 2020. The domination they did was prepared by Ecclestone and FIA on purpouse. If I was Mercedes I would sign Leclerc right now as he's available. Ferrari only offered him 9 million because they have to pay Vettel 40. Hoping in a honest dad and son managing of F1 is delusional.

Another present from dad Jean to Nicolas. It's all set for a new Schumacher/Ferrari show from 2020. The domination they did was prepared by Ecclestone and FIA on purpouse. If I was Mercedes I would sign Leclerc right now as he's available. Ferrari only offered him 9 million because they have to pay Vettel 40. Hoping in a honest dad and son managing of F1 is delusional.
Idiot. The stewards only intervened because Max said he saw the yellows and VBs car and he didn’t need to slow down because F1 drivers are here to race. If he had kept his mouth shut he would have remained on pole.

Or do you think drivers should ignore the safety rules because they think they are better than they are?

Idiot. The stewards only intervened because Max said he saw the yellows and VBs car and he didn’t need to slow down because F1 drivers are here to race. If he had kept his mouth shut he would have remained on pole.

Or do you think drivers should ignore the safety rules because they think they are better than they are?
If it was Leclerc there would be only a verbal report. Just like last races. Leclerc almost killed Hamilton and you talk about safety rules? If you believe there is no Jean Todt/Nicolas Todt mafia you are delusional.

Of course there would. Off you fück, knob.

Latest Threads