Formula 1 - 2019 season

That’s the one, although Netflix are just calling it Williams. Comparing it with the current Netflix F1 series from a leadership perspective is interesting. There’s a short bit where Jonathan Williams, Claire’s brother, is interviewed in the heritage department that he runs where he’s very bitter. It doesn’t look like a very inclusive, diverse place to work!

IMHO Williams can’t survive the way they are going; it’s Tyrrell again. The Martini / Mercedes deal was their last chance. The sensible thing for the family to do would be to sell, but that won’t happen. Too proud : arrogant.

Just watched the Netflix documentary on Williams. OK it’s coming up for four years old, but it does highlight the disfunctional nature of the Williams family. Claire didn’t come across well at all; very defensive. Frank’s leadership style was autocratic and I think Claire has modelled herself on her father.

That worked fine when Williams has strong character like Patrick Head but it’s not a way to manage the millennial generation that now make up the majority of the F1 team.

I suspect Lowe found himself in a toxic blame culture, made all the more challenging since he had just come from arguably one of the highest performing organisations in the world (not just F1). Watching the film made Ralf Schumacher’s comments this week very plausible.

I think they’ve put the solution on gardening leave whilst the problem is Daddy’s girl.
I was quite surprised at just how dysfunctional they were as a family when I saw the program a few weeks ago. I was expecting a sort of Lauda story. It most certainly wasn't. It doesn't bode good for them in modern F1.

I was quite surprised at just how dysfunctional they were as a family when I saw the program a few weeks ago. I was expecting a sort of Lauda story. It most certainly wasn't. It doesn't bode good for them in modern F1.
Also perhaps explains why Williams never managed to put together a sustained period of domination. The nearest was their four titles 92-97 for four drivers, the latter stat telling its own story.

When you look at the successful modern teams, they run with a far more modern collegiate, style of leadership.

I think Patrick Head was the cornerstone of Williams success but he was an old fashioned engineer too. He was bypassed when the technology of CFD and simulation.

Renewal of leadership and culture is desperately hard; look at Manchester United for a comparator.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Also perhaps explains why Williams never managed to put together a sustained period of domination. The nearest was their four titles 92-97 for four drivers, the latter stat telling its own story.

When you look at the successful modern teams, they run with a far more modern collegiate, style of leadership.

I think Patrick Head was the cornerstone of Williams success but he was an old fashioned engineer too. He was bypassed when the technology of CFD and simulation.

Renewal of leadership and culture is desperately hard; look at Manchester United for a comparator.
Adrian Newey's book is an eye opening read - apparently in the aftermath of Imola, AN went to patrick and frank to tell them about the summons he'd received from the italian judiciary to appear as a defendant in the ensuing court case.

the sum of their response was 'oh, you'd better get yourself a lawyer then' he said. pretty jaw dropping considering the circumstances.

Adrian Newey's book is an eye opening read - apparently in the aftermath of Imola, AN went to patrick and frank to tell them about the summons he'd received from the italian judiciary to appear as a defendant in the ensuing court case.

the sum of their response was 'oh, you'd better get yourself a lawyer then' he said. pretty jaw dropping considering the circumstances.
All they needed to do was give Newey some equity and they would have kept the genius of his cohort. Makes you realise why they can’t hang on to staff.

Loosing Rob Smedley and Paddy Lowe within the space of months is crazy: these are experienced guys who have delivered in high performance teams. All so that Claire can play with Daddy’s trainset (her words).

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
All they needed to do was give Newey some equity and they would have kept the genius of his cohort. Makes you realise why they can’t hang on to staff.

Loosing Rob Smedley and Paddy Lowe within the space of months is crazy: these are experienced guys who have delivered in high performance teams. All so that Claire can play with Daddy’s trainset (her words).
It was more the complete 'you're on your own there' of their attitude that amazed me - surely as AN acting as an officer of the company they had a moral duty of care at the very least to support him. If I was thrown to the wolves so instantly like that by an employer I'd be totally p1ssed off.

That’s the one, although Netflix are just calling it Williams. Comparing it with the current Netflix F1 series from a leadership perspective is interesting. There’s a short bit where Jonathan Williams, Claire’s brother, is interviewed in the heritage department that he runs where he’s very bitter. It doesn’t look like a very inclusive, diverse place to work!

IMHO Williams can’t survive the way they are going; it’s Tyrrell again. The Martini / Mercedes deal was their last chance. The sensible thing for the family to do would be to sell, but that won’t happen. Too proud : arrogant.
Perhaps they’re just waiting for Frank to croak, who knows?

Bottas is the one with a vengeance. The 'F you' said on the team radio and the 'I want 26 points' mean he's giving all he has to win and then retire as Rosberg did. Hamilton can't have the same motivation after winning many titles and races. However Hamilton is still favourite to win but at least a fast Bottas makes it more entertaining for spectators.

Must admit i watched it live. I turned it off half way. Am i the only one who wants to see more teams do well besides Mercedes, Ferrari & Red Bull?
It's exactly Mercedes Ferrari Red Bull who put veto on budget cap so that they're the only teams who can win. There can't be competition if they spend 500M whilst the others spend 100

So, Skybog, how did it go for your much-vaunted rejuvenated Ferrari heroes? That testing session showed Mercedes and the rest up, for sure. It must have been the other teams copying the Ferrari wing that did it for them.
I have no idea, I just quoted Hamilton Lewis Hamilton warns Ferrari are half a second faster after F1 Testing

And Leclerc really showed finger boy up, didn't he? Or, B...
I don't like Vettel. Leclerc would have passed him without team orders

Do you also believe heavy weight boxers who speak before a match about the outcome they expect?
Boxers always make victory claims. F1 teams and champions don't, Hamilton and Mercedes and Red Bull never made claims of being slower after testing if it wasn't true.

Would you like to buy some magic beans?
I would like to leave the EU, my vote counts as the UK is a democracy isn't it?

Ecclestone met Wolff, Marko, former Ferrari president in Switzerland at the same time LM proposed a budget cap. It's a clear hint for an alternative championship if F1 will approve the budget cap which means LM has to back down and F1 will stay as borinng as now with only 3 teams who win all the time.

Boxers always make victory claims. F1 teams and champions don't, Hamilton and Mercedes and Red Bull never made claims of being slower after testing if it wasn't true.

I would like to leave the EU, my vote counts as the UK is a democracy isn't it?
For at least the last three years Hamilton has said during pre season that the Ferrari is faster, then gone on to prove it's not. You need to pay attention, not make up stories about two week wing development.

There are enough Brexit threads without polluting this one.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
For at least the last three years Hamilton has said during pre season that the Ferrari is faster, then gone on to prove it's not. You need to pay attention, not make up stories about two week wing development.
Ferrari won the first races in 2018, it was actually faster. Also being faster doesn't mean half a second faster. As the links prove I haven't made up any stories, I only pasted the stories written by F1 papers.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
I guess nobody on Arrse has an idea of what F1 teams do (or they could afford a Sky membership). We can only get some info from insiders of F1 papers
I have sky f1, thank you. but what does that have to do with the constant bullsh1t you spew over this thread?