Formula 1 - 2019 season

A bit of speculation about Ferrari's apparent loss of pace. Ferrari's tapered wing philosophy is creating constant downforce and good outwash,, which is why it looked so smooth and quick at Barcelona. Mercedes's wing is far more aggressive, using that little turn in section in the end plate to create a vortex that gives a far more aggressive outwash effect at the limit. The car ends up far more "on the edge", but with a driver of Hamilton's calibre its worth it.

Far from being as @Skylog maintains, a case of Mercedes copying Ferrari, watch out for Ferrari copying Mercedes. Question being, could Vettel drive it at the limit? He's not known for being quick in cars that are hard to drive.

Matt Somers reckons Ferrari have cooling problems and have had to turn the power down.

It looks like the Merc may be a bit of a handful in traffic, but that doesn't matter up front.

Sent from my neocore_E1R1 using Tapatalk

I didn’t see the race or highlights, it’s obvious there are no team orders at Mercedes, but was Vettel genuinely 4th or did Leclerc have to concede 4th?

I didn’t see the race or highlights, it’s obvious there are no team orders at Mercedes, but was Vettel genuinely 4th or did Leclerc have to concede 4th?
BBC reported that Leclerc (who had closed from 10s to 0.25s behind Vettel in just a few laps in the closing stages) radioed the team to ask what he should do. They said "stay put". He could easily have had 4th.

Let’s not forget that Leclerc spent his rookie year driving the crap out of a Sauber that was going nowhere, until he got in it. It means he is used to driving a mess and getting the best out of it with pure skill and determination.

Vettel is not used to doing that, and will not extend himself if he believes there is a technical solution to solve the erratic handling on the Ferrari.

I hope Leclerc continues to show Vettel up for the big girls blouse that he is.

Another thing worthy of note about the Australian GP:

Bottas's fastest lap that gave him the extra point (on lap 57 of 58 ) was 5.1s slower than Hamilton's pole time. And no one stopped in the final laps for fresh tyres to attempt it - Leclerc was arguably the only one in the top ten in a position to try it as he was 30s ahead of Magnussen, who was running in 6th place behind him, so could have managed a pit-stop without losing position. Presumably Ferrari thought it not worth the risk.

I hope Leclerc continues to show Vettel up for the big girls blouse that he is.
I reckon that if Leclerc can get ahead of Seb during a race weekend and manages to eliminate a "let your team mate by" scenario Leclerc will become the number one driver no matter what Seb has written in his contract, if this happens he may well walk, and then, Danni Ric gets a wee Ferrari call up, sweeeeeet!!

I reckon that if Leclerc can get ahead of Seb during a race weekend and manages to eliminate a "let your team mate by" scenario Leclerc will become the number one driver no matter what Seb has written in his contract, if this happens he may well walk, and then, Danni Ric gets a wee Ferrari call up, sweeeeeet!!
Can’t see Seb being at Ferrari much longer. Once the team see they have a quicker driver, they’ll move support to him. Seb hasn’t delivered at the Scuderia; too many mistakes. He doesn’t seem to be the kind of character that they can build an ultra high performance team around; he’s no Schumacher in that respect. I think they’ll want to move forward.

So where might he go next?

Can’t see Seb being at Ferrari much longer. Once the team see they have a quicker driver, they’ll move support to him. Seb hasn’t delivered at the Scuderia; too many mistakes. He doesn’t seem to be the kind of character that they can build an ultra high performance team around; he’s no Schumacher in that respect. I think they’ll want to move forward.

So where might he go next?
We have seen him on camera visiting Toto a few times over the past couple of races, (which is strange) he's bound to be gearing up for a wee private chat.

Maybe if Seb and Lewis are getting beaten by their younger teammates during the season a mutual exchange may take place if all parties are happy, we all know that Lewis wants to drive for Ferrari and if he were to win a WDC with them his brand would rocket massively,

Who knows!!

We have seen him on camera visiting Toto a few times over the past couple of races, (which is strange) he's bound to be gearing up for a wee private chat.

Maybe if Seb and Lewis are getting beaten by their younger teammates during the season a mutual exchange may take place if all parties are happy, we all know that Lewis wants to drive for Ferrari and if he were to win a WDC with them his brand would rocket massively,

Who knows!!
There’s zero chance of Lewis getting beaten by Bottas over the season. Hamilton will have left Aus happy; he knows the car is quick, he knows he’s quicker than Bottas and he banked a second despite damage.

That said, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Lewis finish his career at Ferrari. I really can’t see Seb at Merc though, certainly not if he’s beaten by Leclerc.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer

Who knows!!
do we? I've never heard him say that in an interview. he'd be bloody stupid to while Mercedes are giving him the cars they are and while Ferrari are shooting themselves in the foot with such regular monotony over the last few seasons as they have been. I can't see it making sense for either party unless they put together Team Hamilton for him in the same way they built the team around MS after he left Benetton. he'll be 36 when the engine regs change again (which seems to be the season when everyone assumes Mercedes will lose their dominance, or at the least for another team to get a serious look in on the titles - although would you really bet heavily against Merc not producing the goods again?) it took the combined talents of MS, Ross Brawn and Jean Todt to put a title winning team together at maranello, and then it was three seasons before it came good and got them the constructors and another year for the WDC.
I can't see lewis wanting to change at that point in his career, and nor does he strike me as the type to make up the numbers on a cruise and collect either.

I for one cannot see Lewis at Ferrari. I've never heard him speak of a desire to drive for them (although I bet there's some people out there who thinks every aspiring F1 driver wants to drive for the Prancing Donkeys).

It's just bits of conversations I've picked on the TV from commentators and other F1 names over the years and video clips I have seen online, it just sticks in your head and makes you think.

For example, on an Italian talk show saying how he loves the colour red and his plane is red, and a video lately of him playing the Italian national anthem on his piano.

Probably nothing, but you know what I mean.

I reckon this colour scheme would easily shave off 3 seconds a lap for Williams F1.

20190320_201126.jpg

Video:

The key areas hurting Williams's performance

Summary: too heavy and hiring Paddy Lowe
Just watched the Netflix documentary on Williams. OK it’s coming up for four years old, but it does highlight the disfunctional nature of the Williams family. Claire didn’t come across well at all; very defensive. Frank’s leadership style was autocratic and I think Claire has modelled herself on her father.

That worked fine when Williams has strong character like Patrick Head but it’s not a way to manage the millennial generation that now make up the majority of the F1 team.

I suspect Lowe found himself in a toxic blame culture, made all the more challenging since he had just come from arguably one of the highest performing organisations in the world (not just F1). Watching the film made Ralf Schumacher’s comments this week very plausible.

I think they’ve put the solution on gardening leave whilst the problem is Daddy’s girl.