Formula 1 - 2018 season

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
he'd have to DNF three times and seb has to win three times.

not impossible, but doubt it will happen.

Just seen a compilation of Vettel's collisions on RTL for this season. He's a viscous little feck when its not going his way. Unlike Verstappen I'm guessing that Vettel doesn't have any points on his license being as he's in a Ferarri.

I was really annoyed at the end. About 10 laps before Hamilton pitted for the last time, my son and I were shouting at the TV to pit him. That Karun commentator was saying it'd be best to leave him on the same tyres until the end of the race. We all know how it panned out. But after the race that same Karun was saying they should have pitted Hamilton earlier. V annoying.

Great ending to that race. the last 25 laps were edge of the seat stuff.

I was really annoyed at the end. About 10 laps before Hamilton pitted for the last time, my son and I were shouting at the TV to pit him. That Karun commentator was saying it'd be best to leave him on the same tyres until the end of the race. We all know how it panned out. But after the race that same Karun was saying they should have pitted Hamilton earlier. V annoying.
I always call him Vijay because he's the spitting image of the waiter at my local Indian. Bit of casual racism there.

I think Merc called that one wrong. If they’d pitted Lewis for his second stop earlier he’d have finished second and the title would be done. Can’t get it right every time.....

Yet again, we see the advantage that a fast car has starting outside the top ten and having a free tyre choice.

And Vettel yet again shows he’s not very good and can’t admit to his mistakes.

Last edited:
I've lost track of the number of wins that Merc's poor tyre strategy has cost Hamilton. It's about time he took charge and called the shots more.

Joylon Palmer made a good point about Vettel in the BBC radio commentary. This is the 4th time he has spun whilst being the car on the inside of a corner that made contact with the car on the outside. Usually you would expect the car on the outside to spin but there is something about his driving or the car that causes him to spin.

It appears that Mercedes blocked the holes in the rear hubs after Ferrari asked Charlie for a clarification. That'll be why the rears went off.

Sent from my neocore_E1R1 using Tapatalk

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
anyone got the build up on? it's eerie looking at Damon in his dads car.

Caught the result on R5whatever, so NOT staying up until the early hours to watch the hi-lights :( !!

damn, Ricciardo is one unlucky motherfucker at the moment. Vettel tried his best but it really was just not good enough this time. The only other interesting thing about this is that mercedes were so off form that I thought bottas was going to get lapped towards the end.

Why is Bottas still driving that car anyway, surely he has had time to prove himself by now and he is just not cutting it. Hamilton just got another WDC in his merc so what excuse does Bottas have? They should have signed a top tier driver for the second car, Alonso for a year or perhaps Ricciardo but now we´ll never know.

Predictions for 2019? I think Mercedes will begin to drop down the order, the car is eating tyres again and their failure to understand why that keeps happening to them will be their undoing. Ferrari will take over as the dominant team. The Ferrari design team really seem to have pulled it out of the bag this year with that car and it has been strategy, tactics and bad driving that got them this year, the car was superb.

Mclaren will remain at the bottom in spite of RedBull managing to more or less stay at the number 3 spot with a shitty Honda engine and the turmoil of having a new supplier that is charitably tabled as the reason that Maclaren are so slow on track.

Force India may well make a leap forward again in car performance but now they have Lance Stroll as a drive they will be hamstrung by him and unable to replace him due to his father being the team owner.

Renault, i hope, will produce a car that can complete a race and give the red bulls some trouble.

WDC next year, no idea, Vettel probably, I think that Hamilton will do a Rosberg and retire to lead his life of wearing stupid outfits and generally being a celebrity for a living, why not, he has earned it.

Perhaps, Ocon will give Vettel a run for his money after all but I´m not so sure that he is the wonder kid that people claim. The amount of times that we have heard this about different new drivers only for them to achieve nothing and disappear forever in 2 seasons makes me very cautious. Anyone remember the hype around Vandoorne?

It´s time for a new generation though, these guys at the front have been doing this for a long time and if Verstappen every gets a championship winning car the cocky little shit is going to get a series of WDC´s.

Two races left this season but I don´t think that I can be bothered to watch them now that it´s basically over for the year.

damn, Ricciardo is one unlucky motherfucker at the moment. Vettel tried his best but it really was just not good enough this time. The only other interesting thing about this is that mercedes were so off form that I thought bottas was going to get lapped towards the end.

Why is Bottas still driving that car anyway, surely he has had time to prove himself by now and he is just not cutting it. Hamilton just got another WDC in his merc so what excuse does Bottas have? They should have signed a top tier driver for the second car, Alonso for a year or perhaps Ricciardo but now we´ll never know.

Predictions for 2019? I think Mercedes will begin to drop down the order, the car is eating tyres again and their failure to understand why that keeps happening to them will be their undoing. Ferrari will take over as the dominant team. The Ferrari design team really seem to have pulled it out of the bag this year with that car and it has been strategy, tactics and bad driving that got them this year, the car was superb.

Mclaren will remain at the bottom in spite of RedBull managing to more or less stay at the number 3 spot with a shitty Honda engine and the turmoil of having a new supplier that is charitably tabled as the reason that Maclaren are so slow on track.

Force India may well make a leap forward again in car performance but now they have Lance Stroll as a drive they will be hamstrung by him and unable to replace him due to his father being the team owner.

Renault, i hope, will produce a car that can complete a race and give the red bulls some trouble.

WDC next year, no idea, Vettel probably, I think that Hamilton will do a Rosberg and retire to lead his life of wearing stupid outfits and generally being a celebrity for a living, why not, he has earned it.

Perhaps, Ocon will give Vettel a run for his money after all but I´m not so sure that he is the wonder kid that people claim. The amount of times that we have heard this about different new drivers only for them to achieve nothing and disappear forever in 2 seasons makes me very cautious. Anyone remember the hype around Vandoorne?

It´s time for a new generation though, these guys at the front have been doing this for a long time and if Verstappen every gets a championship winning car the cocky little shit is going to get a series of WDC´s.

Two races left this season but I don´t think that I can be bothered to watch them now that it´s basically over for the year.
I disagree with most of your points for the following reasons

Bottas is a good driver, but he's just not in the same league as Hamilton. Hamilton is one of those rare talents that was instantly fast and proved he was capable of winning races right from the first race. Some drivers, like Button, Hill, Raikonnen, Vettel (and going back to the likes of Hunt) needed the right car at the right time to win. Is Bottas World Champ material? I'd say yes, but it has to be the right car at the right time and since he's sharing the car with Hamilton who DOESN'T have to rely on the best car to get results, it's unlikely. Rosberg was in a similar situation, and Hamilton had such a poor year reliability and luck wise, that Rosberg won the WDC and retired immediately. He knew he couldn't repeat it and didn't need to repeat it. There isn't another driver available that is a proven race winner and can step in. Give it another year and you might find Ocon, Russell, or the like stepping in to replace Bottas.

I can't see Mercedes losing that much ground. Yes, they had major tyre issues but they've always struggled in dirty air. Put them in front, and they are ok. That being said, there's a huge change to Aero next year which will put the engine back into being more important. If the Merc can follow without the wake problems it has, it can challenge from behind. That Merc engine is still the match of Ferrari. I'd say the Ferrari and Mercedes aren't too far apart, and it's the drivers that make up the difference. Vettel hasn't got the fortitude mentally to resist a serious challenge for the entire season. He makes mistakes, and he's going back to Red Bull to seek his comfort zone again. I can see him rejoining Red Bull in a season or retiring if there's no seat available, and Verstappen hopping into Ferrari at some point.

AS for Red Bull. This track suited their car perfectly. They have had the best aero package for a long time, it's just that their engine was never good enough. The Renault is a poor third and they're going to Honda. Yet again, Honda are being built up as having an awesome unit, but I'll wait until I see it in the back of a RB. Toro Rosso haven't exactly been blistering this season. With Aero changing, RBR won't have the dominance it does in this area. I wouldn't rule out Newey though. He's too good and probably has 3 or 4 generations of wing in the pipeline.

I can't see Ocon even starting next year, so I don't know why you think he'll give Vettel a run.

Get in there Lewis. I’ve been an F1 fan for over 40 years. Only twice have drivers equaled Fangio’s titles; this is a momentous day!

My predictions for 2019; ten wins for Lewis and title number six. There’s no way Ferrari will become the dominant team whilst they are Italian. They’ve only done it once and that required them to hire Todt, Brawn, Byrne et al and hire a driver of Schumacher’s greatness. Vettel is not that caliber. Ferrari’s next title won’t come until after the rules change and it will be Hamilton’s ninth!

I reckon Red Bull will struggle with Honda; they won’t be able to package around the engine whilst Marko and Horner won’t have the emotional intelligence to relate to the Japanese culture.

Best of the rest for me will be McLaren. I think Norris will bring energy and zest that Alonso lacks and will be nearly as quick. This years car was designed late around the Renault engine with Boullier in charge. I suspect they’ll be much better next year; Brown, de Ferran etc will start having effect.

Renault I can’t see moving forward with Cyril ABitofaTool in charge. Just excuses.

Get in there Lewis. I’ve been an F1 fan for over 40 years. Only twice have drivers equaled Fangio’s titles; this is a momentous day!
I really don't want to see Lewis hanging up his helmet any time soon. The right person at the right time in the right car team, a chance to surpass previous greats and put GB at the top of the records lists for years to come. Like you I hope he gets the sixth as a minimum.

I can't see Ocon even starting next year, so I don't know why you think he'll give Vettel a run.
Sorry I meant to say Leclerc, I always get those two mixed up. Ocon does not have a seat as far as I know.

If Le´clerc does a RIC and makes Vettel look slow, then sure, Vettel might leave but I don´t see him back at RBM. If he become available at the right time though, say Hamilton decided to take a year off / retire to begin his music and fashion career, then a kraut in a kraut car could be on the cards, mercedes would have him in a pinch, he might not be on form at the moment but he has shown that he has what it takes in the past.

The thing about F1 is that none of us has any idea how the next season will go and who will be the car and driver to beat. It´s frustrating to have to wait until March before we get any idea. Saying that though, pre-season testing has actually been fairly representative of the running order for the past few years.

I would put a sneaky bet on Hamilton retiring this winter or after next season though. He will burn out at this rate. He is not the cool, calm, robotic German that Schumacher was (most of the time) and fighting for championships year after year has to take it´s toll on you. I would like to see him beat Schumachers record though.