Formula 1 - 2018 season

Yeah, shame he killed those kids.
Well that was a bit insensitivity put.

Although, you are correct that the investigation found him at fault.

Can't quite believe that it was 11 years ago

Fatal Accident Inquiry into the deaths of Colin McRae, Graeme Duncan, Ben Porcelli and John McRae - Judgments & Sentences - Judiciary of Scotland

A Fatal Accident Inquiry has concluded that the deaths could have been avoided if Mr McRae had refrained from flying the helicopter into Mouse Valley and had not engaged in low level flying when it was unnecessary and unsafe to do so. Sheriff Nikola Stewart at Lanark Sheriff Court

During his appearance on Clarkson Top Gear's "Star in a Reasonably Priced Car", Vettel came over as a very sensible, amusing and likable fella - and with a sense of humour - much to the appreciation of Clarkson and the audience.

Just a pity all that is not evident, when he is doing his "Day Job" :( .
Senna and many other drivers turned into ill mannered, aggressive thrusters when on the clock.

It's what winners are made from.

The Multi 21 episode was his lowest ebb in terms of poor behaviour in my view.

But then I have always been a Mark Webber fan. The ultimate underdog

During his appearance on Clarkson Top Gear's "Star in a Reasonably Priced Car", Vettel came over as a very sensible, amusing and likable fella - and with a sense of humour - much to the appreciation of Clarkson and the audience.

Just a pity all that is not evident, when he is doing his "Day Job" :( .
Still got beat by Lewis!

I never warmed to Schumacher; always thought he was a stereotypical arrogant German and I never forgot what he did to Damon.

I think Vettel is very different. He’s always come across as a nice guy; I’ll even give him the benefit of the doubt over the Finger. It’s a Herman thing.

I think he was placed on a pedestal at Red Bull; winning four titles relatively early at a such a young age gave him delusions of grandeur (you olnkw what I mean).

He’s come down with a shock at Ferrari for which he was ill prepared. Sure, he has four titles but he had a lot of growing up to do in order to lead a team that doesn’t have what Red Bull has (Flexi wings etc).

Hamilton achieved much more on the way to F1 and had a hard paper round when he got there. No wonder he’s stronger mentally. Winning consistently in F1 is 80% psychological; the other 20% is in the mind.

But then I have always been a Mark Webber fan. The ultimate underdog
I never warmed to Webber. He was an absolute shit to Justin Wilson at Jaguar and highly disparaging about him in the press. Unfounded; Wilson stuffed Webber in F3000 and Webber sought revenge when they were team mates.

I wonder what would have happened if Coulthard hadn’t retired? Red Bull would probably have gone into 2009 with a Coulthard / Vettel line up and Webber would have been forgotten.

Williams have just announced that they have signed George Russell to drive for them next year.

On the back of this news, what do people think of Toto Wolff being involved in driver management? It doesn't sit well with me, I have to say.

On the back of this news, what do people think of Toto Wolff being involved in driver management? It doesn't sit well with me, I have to say.
My 2 cents worth. I get your point on possible conflict of interests. It was however Toto's man who was asked to defer to the other team member. I would suggest that Toto played the team card rather than his own hand. I would expect that Mercedes would come down hard if he had favoured Valtteri over the best team result.

Is he directly involved in driver management? Wolff owns a driver management company with Mika Häkkinen. The only F1 driver they manage is Valtteri Bottas. Wolff has his fingers in numerous lies; he made his money as an investor. Bottas is managed by a company that Toto is a shareholder in, not managed personally by him.

Russell, Ocon and Wehrlein / were are all part of Mercedes junior program; none are managed by Wolff’s company. Mercedes and Wolff have been very stand off in finding seats for their junior drivers. The press are reporting that Russell got his Williams drive by ringing up Paddy Lowe and asking to meet. Nothing to with Wolff or Mercedes intervention.

Anybody thinking that Mercedes is just going to continue in the same fashion as they have been for the last few successful years, which costs over those years run into the billions, is going to be disappointed...

I mentioned a few pages ago that they are putting an expansion onto one of the workshops. That's phase 1 we have now been informed. There are at least 3 more phases, involving a huge expansion to other workshops and R&D facilities. The investment is massive, they're going to be around for a while!

On an amusing note, the construction company carrying out phase 1 is McLaren Construction (not related), fortunately, they have another trading name, as they were told there was fcuk all chance 'McLaren' signboards going up during construction.

I wonder if that is the same McLaren that have signs up at the Mini factory in Swindon?

Sent from my neocore_E1R1 using Tapatalk
They did Williams F1's new building when they weren't trailing round the back of the grid (remember those times, seems a while ago now), that's where the spare trading name came from, as Williams told them the same, no 'McLaren' signs. Yes, it is the same one doing BMW mini. None of the owners has McLaren as a surname, the original owner now lives in Monaco, has done for a while!

Drifting. But really sad to see that the Donnington Collection is closing it’s doors after 45 years.

My Dad took me to the opening day, when Raymond Mays of BRM fame did the opening. Tom Wheatcroft built the most amazing collection of 50s-70s cars.

I haven’t been for 15 years; most of old Tom’s collection had been sold. But the lines of dayglo McLarens were pretty impressive.

It closes on 5 November.

Sad to see Guy Edwards QGM has died. Never quite made it but an accomplished multi-disciplinary driver. Nearest he came to F1 success was a 7th in one of Graham Hill’s Lolas.

Two big reasons to remember him; he was Mr Sponsorship; one of the first to broker sponsorship deals. His biggest one was Silk Cut Jaguar.

And of course his QGM for rescuing Niki Lauda.

RIP another of my childhood heroes.

Sad to see Guy Edwards QGM has died. Never quite made it but an accomplished multi-disciplinary driver. Nearest he came to F1 success was a 7th in one of Graham Hill’s Lolas.

Two big reasons to remember him; he was Mr Sponsorship; one of the first to broker sponsorship deals. His biggest one was Silk Cut Jaguar.

And of course his QGM for rescuing Niki Lauda.

RIP another of my childhood heroes.
Ooops, slight mistake.

Guy Edwards not dead.

Boy did Lewis nail that wet lapnor what? Straight out, set an unbeatable time and back in.

Meantime Vettel makes another stupid mistake then bumps his gums about the stewards. If I was a steward, I’d be “back another three for dissent”. The melt down continues.

Bumper car kid was gobbing off about penalties being unfair and they need to be scrapped. Turns out he's clocked 8 on his license already this year and if it hits 12 it will cost him a race ban. Rather than moaning about it maybe if he focussed and took some lessons on board he wouldn't have so many points.

Last edited:

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
well...this whole season has just given ammo to the 'seb only took 4 titles because he had the best car' bit. alonso wouldn't have made mistakes like this. I don't think lewis will necessarily take the wdc tomorrow, but if seb's title chances were a horse you'd shoot it.