Formula 1 - 2018 season

John Barnard said that ground effect was only banned because Ferrari didn't want it. I suppose a wide V12 wouldn't be too helpful if you wanted to narrow the car so you could have wider floor tunnels. That was Barnard's original reason for carbon fibre, a narrower chassis.

Sent from my neocore_E1R1 using Tapatalk

John Barnard said that ground effect was only banned because Ferrari didn't want it. I suppose a wide V12 wouldn't be too helpful if you wanted to narrow the car so you could have wider floor tunnels. That was Barnard's original reason for carbon fibre, a narrower chassis.

Doesn’t make a huge amount of sense to me. The 1981 F126C was a V6 turbo ground effect car. Skirts were banned in 81 but venturis weren’t banned until the end of 83.

Pedant hat on; the 312 T series had Flat 12 engines, not V12s.

Well a flat 12 would have been even more difficult to work with. Perhaps they just couldn't get it to work, so got it banned.

Motorsport have got some interesting podcasts available, I've listened to Brundle, Barnard, Redman, Stuck & Cleland so far. Hobbs, Murray, Bell & Fitzpatrick this week.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
you can only think ferrari need to step up their game really, when merc are delivering to this level.

however, what's the betting they'll run around like headless chickens and **** it all up again?

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Doesn’t make a huge amount of sense to me. The 1981 F126C was a V6 turbo ground effect car. Skirts were banned in 81 but venturis weren’t banned until the end of 83.

Pedant hat on; the 312 T series had Flat 12 engines, not V12s.
the 312T series were indeed flat 12s, which meant their efforts at ground effect weren't as successful as Lotus and Williams with their much smaller DFVs, which meant you could have nice long ducts essentially the whole length of the car. after all it's not like they don't have form for trying to get things banned when they can't get them to work themselves now do they? poor losers that they are.

the 312T series were indeed flat 12s, which meant their efforts at ground effect weren't as successful as Lotus and Williams with their much smaller DFVs, which meant you could have nice long ducts essentially the whole length of the car. after all it's not like they don't have form for trying to get things banned when they can't get them to work themselves now do they? poor losers that they are.
Ferrari have never been averse to cheating. Go right back to Enzo’s earliest forays into motor sport and you find examples of them seeking an unfair advantage and very rarely through technology. I’m inclined to think cheating is in the national psyche; I watched a Italian yacht win the Middle Sea Race having deliberately missed a mark to shorten the course....

As for Ferrari getting ground effect banned, I’m not convinced because the timeline is wrong. They had already been running V6 turbos for three years when GE was banned, so there’s no obvious connection with Flat 12s and long venturis.

If you want to look at what a modern F1 car might look like if we still had ground effect, have a look at a Dallara DW12; Indycars are still full ground effect, but without skirts or trick suspension to lower them closer to the track.

It shows that there is a Ferrari seat at Sauber, and it isn't the one Raikkonen inhabits.

Maybe there are two!

Raikkonen’s manager has said that Kimi wasn’t placed at Sauber by Ferrari. They knew some time ago that Leclerc was getting he Ferrari seat, so they secured the best seat they could.

IMHO it’s not a great driver pairing. Kimi has lost his pace and needs a perfect set up. Giovanazzi will just break carbon fibre. I think they could have done better given their Alfa Romeo ambition.

Vandoorne P16 Norris P13 In FP1. Stoffel not exactly selling himself is he?

Meanwhile Grosjean and Magnusses get another season with Haas.
And also Giovinazzi quicker than Leclerc in the Saubers,

Nice!!

This is why F1 isn't worth watching anymore, complete and utter farce.
I am not a Hamilton fan however the photo of him with his hand on VB shoulder says everything and was extremely gracious with his comments.

This is why F1 isn't worth watching anymore, complete and utter farce.
I am not a Hamilton fan however the photo of him with his hand on VB shoulder says everything and was extremely gracious with his comments.
If you mean team orders, that's been going on since the start of F1. At least they do it on the track, in the early days they just booted the driver out of the car to make sure the preferred driver won.

PR own goal from Mercedes, can see why they did it if Lewis has an engine penalty coming in the next race but it was just a bit too Austria 2002 for my taste with the "He deserved the win" and the attempted handing over of the winners trophy on the podium. Bottas is managed by Toto Wolff and despite the intended to be heard PR posturing over the team radio at the race end we all know he's been made well aware which side of his bread is buttered.

If you mean team orders, that's been going on since the start of F1. At least they do it on the track, in the early days they just booted the driver out of the car to make sure the preferred driver won.
I fully appreciate the "Team Orders" practice in terms of issuing instructions to drivers to deviate from the normal practice of racing against each other and that will never change.
However my statement was directed to F1 in general, F1 has become too corporate and corporate is boring by definition. Only one or two teams can win races so sadly it's become too predictable. Races are now decided predominantly by pit stop strategy and overtaking becoming too easy and meaningless with DRS and killed the art of defensive driving.

Gutting for Valtteri, his facial expression spoke volumes. As if it wasn't already clear for him he knows that unless he can get an early lead on Lewis in the championship he'll always be the wingman and never the lead. Lewis was clearly uncomfortable with the decision. No dancing on the car at the finish but straight to Valtteri and then a subdued walk to the team. Credit to Lewis in that although he got the place he'd rather not have had it this way. I'd like to think that VB is going to see a decent bonus in his bank account but probably won't.