• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Formula 1 - 2018 season

I thought Max drove a very mature race yesterday, even trying to take advantage of the backmarkers he erred on the side of caution. After the bit of excitement he did the sums and realised, he could get on the podium,get points and, give FingerBoy a shit sandwich, that must have been so satisfying for him and Red Bull.

Hopefully the 2020 season will see Lewis beat Schumacher’s 91 race wins. Just in time before the big rule changes in 2021 as you never know how a team is going to perform after a big change.

Hopefully the 2020 season will see Lewis beat Schumacher’s 91 race wins. Just in time before the big rule changes in 2021 as you never know how a team is going to perform after a big change.
Number 2 and 22 wins to go. Two seasons? Would be good to see him up at the top. He's also slowly climbing the other record tables.

5th F1 title or are you counting others (GP2 and F3). I'd love to see him chase down and win 7 in F1. Schumacher had seven but about half the career points that Lewis now has to his name.
I said “would be chasing down”. Engine blow up in Malaysia cost him 2016 and late pit stop in China 2007.

Vettel has shown repeatedly that he’s an average F1 driver. Not a great one which you expect of someone who has one four WCs.
Suspect that you have to look at the opposition cars and drivers when he won, compared to now. Lots of talent coming through these days...

Suspect that you have to look at the opposition cars and drivers when he won, compared to now. Lots of talent coming through these days...
Vettel was very lucky with that Red Bull and he also seriously benefited from team orders. If a driver of Ricciardo’s quality had been in the second Red Bull instead of a journeyman like Webber (who was slower than Coulthard before Seb joined), SV wouldn’t have won four.

All this makes me reevaluate Rosberg who was darned close to Hamilton and beat him
on occasion. Nico dug really deep in 2016 to
find a way to win the title. IMHO a far better driver than Seb

Bring on Leclerc. I wonder if Ferrari have seen through their petal?

I was out doing cultural things on Sunday afternoon and missed hearing the race live. I think Ferrari cocked up their strategy with a mistranslation on what Lewis said before the pit stops. Lewis said there's a lot left in the tyres and Seb was told he said the opposite which is why Seb was told to box and went out on the wrong tyres hoping for the under cut.
Total shambles really and I don't think it was picked up.

From around 35 minutes in.
BBC - iPlayer Radio

The Red Bull designed by Newey in those days was the best car by a mile. The aero was immense and it was perfectly suited to Seb's driving style. Since he joined Ferrari, he hasn't had that. At all.

The Red Bull designed by Newey in those days was the best car by a mile. The aero was immense and it was perfectly suited to Seb's driving style. Since he joined Ferrari, he hasn't had that. At all.
Seb was able to get out front and stay out front with Webber tucked in behind. The tyres mix was far less “adventurous” and fuel wasn’t such an issue. The season he won 9 straight races, tyres were changed mid season and suddenly RB came good.

He still managed to **** up under pressure. Canada when Button won from the back?

I can't remember the last time (or if ever) Ferrari promoted a driver from their youth academy into their driver line up, Mercedes, Red Bull and Mclaren have all done this but Ferrari has always gone for the highly paid experienced drivers.

Berger/Alesi were at Ferrari when I started watching F1 and I don't recall there been much between them in the way of talent.

Yeah but I think you are right, having both Alonso and Seb in your team and not winning a WD title is gonna hurt, let's hope Leclerc does a Ricciardo and out drives him.

I can't remember the last time (or if ever) Ferrari promoted a driver from their youth academy into their driver line up, Mercedes, Red Bull and Mclaren have all done this.
Phillipe Massa was the first product of Ferrari’s junior academy. Placed with Sauber for three years before stepping up. They would probably have stepped Jules Bianchi up. Of the others, two have made it to F1; Lance Stroll and Sergio Perez while Giovinazzi looks like following Leclerc into Sauber. The rest have disappeared, but there is some talent in the current program, notably Calum Ilott.

I don’t recall any Mercedes junior making it to the F1 team. Rosberg and Bottas both came through Williams. Merc’s junior program has produced DTM champions and an Indy champion but no F1 winners. They’ve just dropped Wehrlein.

Red Bull’s junior program produced Vettel. Say no more!

Read an article this week suggesting discussing Mercedes new wheels and hubs. The wheels have raised pimples on the exposed surfaces to increase surface area and the hubs are concave to allow airflow between the hub and rim.

Both of these need so very special carbon fibre manufacturing techniques which Merc have developed but they are instrumental in cooling the tyre.

The suggestion was that Merc are now able to run significantly longer runs without blistering than they could on their old rims, giving them a strategy advantage over Ferrari.

Read an article this week suggesting discussing Mercedes new wheels and hubs. The wheels have raised pimples on the exposed surfaces to increase surface area and the hubs are concave to allow airflow between the hub and rim.

Both of these need so very special carbon fibre manufacturing techniques which Merc have developed but they are instrumental in cooling the tyre.

The suggestion was that Merc are now able to run significantly longer runs without blistering than they could on their old rims, giving them a strategy advantage over Ferrari.
Have Ferrari and Red Bull launched their complaints about it yet?

Have Ferrari and Red Bull launched their complaints about it yet?
I don’t think they can; wheels are allowed to be used as moving aerodynamic parts.

What is interesting is that the wheel and hub designs are underpinned by manufacturing research. Merc have developed a way to make a carbon component that hasn’t been possible before. It shows just how deep their engineering resources go.

Got a link to that article? It sounds quite interesting as a step forward in technology.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Vettel was very lucky with that Red Bull and he also seriously benefited from team orders. If a driver of Ricciardo’s quality had been in the second Red Bull instead of a journeyman like Webber (who was slower than Coulthard before Seb joined), SV wouldn’t have won four.

All this makes me reevaluate Rosberg who was darned close to Hamilton and beat him
on occasion. Nico dug really deep in 2016 to
find a way to win the title. IMHO a far better driver than Seb

even before they announced their driver lineup they didn't seem that concerned with making sure Kimi knew his place this season. I think the lustre is well and truly off SV now after the brain fades he's had the last few seasons and the fact he just doesn't seem to be up to LH's level this year. as Bob says, a combination of the best car and very rigid team orders flattered him at Red Bull - with less dominant machinery from maranello and a not as compliant no.2 we're seeing him struggle.