Formula 1 - 2018 season

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
when Ferrari won at Spa it was down to "trick things" on the car.
I personally think it is a rather stupid thing to pick up someone for their style of speech. Why don't you be honest and state that Hamilton was accusing someone of cheating rather than just insinuating?

I personally think it is a rather stupid thing to pick up someone for their style of speech. Why don't you be honest and state that Hamilton was accusing someone of cheating rather than just insinuating?
Well he wasn't accusing someone of cheating was he ?? .. his wording was very vague on purpose just like the insinuation that the contact with Kimi at Silverstone was on purpose. I quoted his words exactly, not "his style of speech" and surely if you think I am insinuating that he is implying Ferrari are cheating, and I am far from alone in thinking that's what he was doing, by using the very words he used then you must think he was insinuating the same when he uttered them ??

Hamilton has a track record of not being able to kick his brain in before his mouth starts, it wont be the last time he does this.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
I liked the quote from the Ferrari boss when asked about Bottas .. "We hire drivers, not butlers".
oh my aching sides...coming from the team that hired Irvine, Barrichello, Massa and currently Raikonnen to perform precisely that role. I'd bet a years wages if vettel had stayed past lewis at the start then there would suddenly have been a pressing need to pull kimi aside on the basis that 'vettel is faster than you'.

A few more could do building decent cars.
IMHO there are no bad cars on the grid. There are Manors or Caterhams, let alone Colonia, Eurobrun or Modernis. The spread across the grid is probably the tightest ever.

That said, it’s probably harder today to get from midfield to front than ever before because competing with the resources of Merc & Ferrari is near impossible.

I also think that there is a dearth of managerial talent. The likes of Ron Dennis, Frank Williams, Luca dI M etc haven’t been replaced. You now see corporate bosses and racing directors.

I don’t see that the Zac Brown CEO, Gil de Ferran sporting director combo will deliver for McLaren. They’re out of US spec racing, not innovation driven F1.

Deep down you know that the booing probably really hurt Lewis, I recon he would love to be behind the steering wheel of one of big red Ferrarri's.
Depends if they were booing him for beating Ferrari or because of his race. It wouldn’t be the first time he’s been subjected to racial abuse in Italy (or Spain).

I reckon he’d love to drive in the top team with Seb; he’d have a four times world champion as his bitch.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Deep down you know that the booing probably really hurt Lewis, I recon he would love to be behind the steering wheel of one of big red Ferrarri's.
do you think? without someone like Ross Brawn on the technical/racing side of things, you can usually rely on them to shoot themselves in the foot at some point, either on the track or at the factory. three times Alonso finished as runner up - two of them within spitting distance of the title. with the acumen of a Brawn overseeing things, that would have been easily enough to make up the difference. they're a shambles of a team and anyone as serious about winning as Lewis will stay way the hell away until their house is well and truly in order. which will probably be never.

Last edited:
I quite like the way Hamilton wears his heart on his sleeve. He’s passionate. I’ve no axe to grind on his dress sense; not my taste but he’s always immaculately presented. My son doesn’t dress to my taste ether but he’s never immaculately presented!

As for his music, who cares. He raps under the name XNDA and recorded his first track with Christina Aguilera. She’s alright by me; she passed the Rolling Stones year agest ago!
Couldn't agree more.

Not sure why people criticise a professional racing driver for his pursuits outside of F1, fashion, music etc.

Seems like sour grapes.

do you think? without someone like Ross Brawn on the technical/racing side of things, you can usually rely on them to shoot themselves in the foot at some point, either on the track or at the factory. three times Alonso finished as runner up - two of them within spitting distance of the title. with the acumen of a Brawn overseeing things, that would have been easily enough to make up the difference. they're a shambles of a team and anyone as serious about winning as Lewis will stay way the hell away until their house is well and truly in order. which will probably be never.
Tactically Ferrari are very prone to major cock-ups. They've also taken a very long time to get a grip on the technological side of things with their new engine trickery :p

Brawn, Todt et al captured lightning in the bottle the same way that Dennis, Senna and Murray did, the same way Williams did etc Newey and Red Bull etc.

The fates really have to align for drivers these days. It's nowhere near "jump in that car and go fast" It's a hell of a lot more.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
The fates really have to align for drivers these days. It's nowhere near "jump in that car and go fast" It's a hell of a lot more.
oh, agreed. but the fates seem a lot less prone to align at ferrari than they do anywhere else. as I've said before, for a team with their resources it's ludicrous.

and tbh...putting all their eggs in the hands of finger boy is looking more and more like a flawed decision...he has to stop making mistakes.

oh, agreed. but the fates seem a lot less prone to align at ferrari than they do anywhere else. as I've said before, for a team with their resources it's ludicrous.

and tbh...putting all their eggs in the hands of finger boy is looking more and more like a flawed decision...he has to stop making mistakes.
Don't knock Seb, he's driving to the best of his abilities...........................which speaks volumes. ;-)

I'm not a fan for any number of reasons, the main one being, his 4 WDC were won when he had the fastest car on the grid by a long way, so not indicative of talent, he also needs to take responsibility for himself and, f*****g grow up, he's an arrogant little schoolboy with a modicum of talent.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Don't knock Seb, he's driving to the best of his abilities...........................which speaks volumes. ;-)

I'm not a fan for any number of reasons, the main one being, his 4 WDC were won when he had the fastest car on the grid by a long way, so not indicative of talent, he also needs to take responsibility for himself and, f*****g grow up, he's an arrogant little schoolboy with a modicum of talent.
I don't know - didn't Fangio say something to the effect of 'half of being a champion is knowing what team to drive for' or some such? and you still have to drive the car that fast and keep it on the track.

however...whenever it comes down to a wheel to wheel fight between him and lewis...I know who my money would go on.

The booing is typically Italian. Unless a Ferarri wins at Monza they start crying as if their children had just been fed to the lions. Long time ago I was in Maranello with a mate on a day that Schumacher won in a Ferarri at Monza. The Italians went mad. The centre of town was closed down for a party with free booze which we weren't going to say no to.

Anybody driving a Mercedes wasn't let through the cordon. The local police just watched on and had another vino. I suggested that it might be a good day for a bank job. We just ended up getting sh!t faced as it was less effort.

I don't know - didn't Fangio say something to the effect of 'half of being a champion is knowing what team to drive for' or some such? and you still have to drive the car that fast and keep it on the track.

however...whenever it comes down to a wheel to wheel fight between him and lewis...I know who my money would go on.
The other half was having teammates who handed their car to you when you broke yours. Particularly when your teammate had the title won once you retired.

Peter Collins did exactly that. Fangio broke down, leaving Collins as World Champion. The Italians in the team, Musso and Castelloti were both ordered to hand their car over to Fangio. But they have Enzo a stiff ignoring. So Collins came in and handed his car to Fangio who took the title.

This is very sad . . . .

F1 fans have been waiting for an update - and this one is so sad

by Glen Durrant, Senior Writer, GMS. Published 14 days ago.

It's been almost five years since Michael Schumacher hit his head on a rock while skiing with his son, Mick, in the French Alps.

He went into a medically-induced coma after the accident and since then updates have been few and far between, with the German's family wanting to keep their privacy.

"Michael's health is not a public issue," said Schumacher's manager, Sabine Kehm, in 2016. "We have to protect his intimate sphere.

"Legally seen and in the longer term, every statement related to his health would diminish the extent of his intimate sphere."

It's understandable that Schumacher's family have remained private since the Formula One legend's life-threatening fall in December 2013.

But fans around the world are desperate to know anything about his recovery and overall well-being - and now they've been given an update.

A close family member of Schumacher's has revealed to French magazine Paris Match that the 49-year-old is showing emotions.

UPDATE ON SCHUMACHER

Heartbreakingly, Schumacher "sometimes cries" when he sits in his wheelchair facing out of his home in the town of Gland, overlooking the Lake Geneva.

"When you put him in his wheelchair facing the beautiful panorama of the mountains overlooking the lake, Michael sometimes cries," said the relative, per the Mirror.

Schumacher's son, Mick, hopes to make his father proud by emulating his success in the sport that made him famous.

"The goal is to win in Formula One that is the aim," said the 19-year-old. "My dad had a huge influence on my career.

"He was my idol and I am following everything he did and see if I can use it myself and I am really happy with that.
"You still have to show what you can do. That's my goal. I want to prove that I am a proper racing driver and not only show I have got the same name."

690.jpg

Heartbreaking update about Schumacher revealed by family member from his home

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
I have to give that a dislike as it's so sad. where I do think his first title is definitely in question, in a lot of other areas I've rarely heard anyone say a bad thing about him. :(

He was never my hero; in fact the opposite. More I’d support any driver who was beating Schumacher. But....so sad to end the way he has.

In a way Mick is a bit like Damon (only with money). I hope he does make it and won the title. I won’t be a supporter but.... As long as he only takes a single in and amongst Lando’s 7!!