Formula 1 - 2018 season

There seems to have been some mutterings (on RTL) that Ferrari's use of qualification mode to get past Lewis was an illegal move. As much as I'd have liked Lewis to win Ferrari's use of this seems to have been a gamble that paid off. My simple brain would say that using quali mode carries a deal of risk in that it puts maximum stress on the car that still has to go another 43 laps at full chat. Pity it hadn't rained today. That would have been a bit more interesting.

Looks like we are in for a good finish to the season, Ferrari are looking ominously quick and Mercedes are on the back foot. Hopefully it goes all the way to Abu Dhabi before finding out if Seb or Lewis will get title number five, both are worthy in my book but I think Seb winning his first for Ferarri would be a nice change.

Did anyone else watching see all the spectators on the straight after Eau Rouge with their heads stuck in their phones and think what the hell was more interesting than what was right in front of them ?? .. Crazy.

I'm surprised more hasn't been made of the timing of the safety car. As soon as the crash happened it was obvious it was going to be needed and during the time between the crash and the SC coming out Seb overtook Lewis. I know some motor sports give an announcement on the teams feeds that a safety car is going to be put out in so many seconds but I've never noticed it in F1.

I'm surprised more hasn't been made of the timing of the safety car. As soon as the crash happened it was obvious it was going to be needed and during the time between the crash and the SC coming out Seb overtook Lewis. I know some motor sports give an announcement on the teams feeds that a safety car is going to be put out in so many seconds but I've never noticed it in F1.
Why are you surprised ??, looked like a normal Safety Car decision to me. The decision was made by the time they got past the straight after Eau Rogue. The cars involved in the turn one crash had ended up clear of the track, they weren't blocking the road which would have been a clear red flag. It looked like they weren't deciding whether a Safety Car was needed just whether it would be an actual Safety Car or they could get away with the virtual one.

Much better race today, Vettel may have lost himself the crown however Hamilton was class. Verstappen once again potrayed himself as a petulant little twat.
Was in two minds. I'm a Lewis fan but would have liked to have seen Kimi win for once if the gap between Lewis and Vettel had been the same or more.

Was in two minds. I'm a Lewis fan but would have liked to have seen Kimi win for once if the gap between Lewis and Vettel had been the same or more.
Totally agree, althouth I am not a LH fan as his temperament lets him down at times, he was excellent today. In some ways I think Kimi has been treated rather shabbily by Ferrari, it would have been good to see him win today.

Totally agree, althouth I am not a LH fan as his temperament lets him down at times, he was excellent today. In some ways I think Kimi has been treated rather shabbily by Ferrari, it would have been good to see him win today.
I don’t get how Lewis’ temperament lasts him down. He’s won 30% of his starts; of the greats, only Fangio and Clark had higher win rates. His pole rate is second only to Fangio at 35% and his podium rate is near equal

Unlike some of those with “better” temperament (Schumacher, Vettel, Senna) he’s never rammed an opponent off the track. Nor has he resorted to demanding team orders to win or vetoing potential team mates, unlike Schumacher, Vettel, Alonso, Senna, Prost, Stewart, Clark and Fangio.

Trying to compare across the ages is impossible, but Hamilton will quite likely retire setting records for wins, poles, titles and points. I’d quite like his temperament!

Last edited:
I don’t get how Lewis’ temperament lasts him down. He’s won 30% of his starts; of the greats, only Fangio and Clark had higher win rates. His pole rate is second only to Fangio at 35% and his podium rate is near equal

Unlike some of those with “better” temperament (Schumacher, Vettel, Senna) he’s never rammed an opponent off the track. Nor has he resorted to demanding team orders to win or vetoing potential team mates, unlike Schumacher, Vettel, Alonso, Senna, Prost, Stewart, Clark and Fangio.

Trying to compare across the ages is impossible, but Hamilton will quite likely retire setting records for wins, poles, titles and points. I’d quite like his temperament!
While I am the first to say that Lewis is among the very best the sport has seen when behind the wheel his temperament on occasion has to be questioned when you consider his actions in Hungary 2007 when he reneged on a deal with Alonso during qualifying which resulted in Alonso parking during his pit stop delaying Lewis and all the crap that followed, the year in Melbourne when he blatantly lied to the stewards for his actions under yellow flags that could also have gone against a fellow driver as well as Spa 2012 when he tweeted team data out because Button had soundly beaten him despite Lewis having the choice of both wings just like Jenson. Whenever things don't go his way he comes across as immature and spiteful. He insinuates rather than coming straight out and saying something. When Rosberg went off on his qualy lap at Monaco it just had to be a conspiracy, when Kimi hit him at Silverstone it had to be deliberate by Ferrari and when Ferrari won at Spa it was down to "trick things" on the car. Its always something else that stopped him winning.

He was faultless in yesterdays race as the crash with Vettel was down to Seb in my view, but don't forget he needed his team mate to slow up Kimi in order to win. No doubt his win and pole rates are impressive but he has been in a car capable of winning every year of his career. Very few of the greats can say that.

While I am the first to say that Lewis is among the very best the sport has seen when behind the wheel his temperament on occasion has to be questioned when you consider his actions in Hungary 2007 when he reneged on a deal with Alonso during qualifying which resulted in Alonso parking during his pit stop delaying Lewis and all the crap that followed, the year in Melbourne when he blatantly lied to the stewards for his actions under yellow flags that could also have gone against a fellow driver as well as Spa 2012 when he tweeted team data out because Button had soundly beaten him despite Lewis having the choice of both wings just like Jenson. Whenever things don't go his way he comes across as immature and spiteful. He insinuates rather than coming straight out and saying something. When Rosberg went off on his qualy lap at Monaco it just had to be a conspiracy, when Kimi hit him at Silverstone it had to be deliberate by Ferrari and when Ferrari won at Spa it was down to "trick things" on the car. Its always something else that stopped him winning.

He was faultless in yesterdays race as the crash with Vettel was down to Seb in my view, but don't forget he needed his team mate to slow up Kimi in order to win. No doubt his win and pole rates are impressive but he has been in a car capable of winning every year of his career. Very few of the greats can say that.
Alonso was a bell-end during his McLaren year, culminating in actually trying to blackmail the team into giving him first driver status when Hamilton was matching him in his rookie year. Ham has made his fair share of faux-pas on the track and off, but for the most part he has grown up considerably.

The Ferrari's had several races where they were hitting Mercs on the opening laps and knocking them out of contention. He was right to comment on it, it's his opinion

The part about Ferrari "tricks" was accurate. Every car has a trick that others don't. Mercedes had FRIC etc, Red Bull had their rake and aero setup (along with some very illegal mods that they got caught with), McLaren had their driver activated F-Duct, Williams had their active suspension etc. Ground Effect, Fan cars, double diffusers etc were all "tricks". Ferrari has a trick battery and turbo setup that appears to be legal.

As for yesterday, I don't think Bottas played that much of a role as people think. He was less than 10 seconds behind Raikonnen after the pit stops and Raikkonnen had butchered his tyres in the first few laps. Remember how many seconds Hamilton was ahead at the end.

The problem Hamilton has is that he's Marmite. You either love him or hate him. I love his driving, but not so keen on his fashion or music tastes. On the track, he is the fastest driver I've seen since Senna, but very few can actually admit that without feeling bile. Part of that is clearly a race issue (it always will be), part of that is a lifestyle issue, part of that is jealousy and envy. Personally, I think Alonso was a twat for a long time and I couldn't stand Schumacher during his ferrari years (Can't deny his talent and work ethos, but his tactics were often nasty), He seemed to be better during his Mercedes years, but it was too late to recapture glories.

Alonso was a bell-end during his McLaren year, culminating in actually trying to blackmail the team into giving him first driver status when Hamilton was matching him in his rookie year. Ham has made his fair share of faux-pas on the track and off, but for the most part he has grown up considerably.

The Ferrari's had several races where they were hitting Mercs on the opening laps and knocking them out of contention. He was right to comment on it, it's his opinion

The part about Ferrari "tricks" was accurate. Every car has a trick that others don't. Mercedes had FRIC etc, Red Bull had their rake and aero setup (along with some very illegal mods that they got caught with), McLaren had their driver activated F-Duct, Williams had their active suspension etc. Ground Effect, Fan cars, double diffusers etc were all "tricks". Ferrari has a trick battery and turbo setup that appears to be legal.

As for yesterday, I don't think Bottas played that much of a role as people think. He was less than 10 seconds behind Raikonnen after the pit stops and Raikkonnen had butchered his tyres in the first few laps. Remember how many seconds Hamilton was ahead at the end.

The problem Hamilton has is that he's Marmite. You either love him or hate him. I love his driving, but not so keen on his fashion or music tastes. On the track, he is the fastest driver I've seen since Senna, but very few can actually admit that without feeling bile. Part of that is clearly a race issue (it always will be), part of that is a lifestyle issue, part of that is jealousy and envy. Personally, I think Alonso was a twat for a long time and I couldn't stand Schumacher during his ferrari years (Can't deny his talent and work ethos, but his tactics were often nasty), He seemed to be better during his Mercedes years, but it was too late to recapture glories.
And we are straight to the Hamilton fan classic excuses for anyone daring to criticise him in any way. Its his race, its his lifestyle, you're just jealous .. I do love the classics.

The catalyst for Alonso being as you put it "a bellend" was Hamilton staying out in Hungary 2007 against what was agreed before the session and ruining Alonso's lap. Alonso then paid Hamilton back. Big boys game are played with big boys rules. And Ron Dennis reneged on Alonso's contract as Number 1, I dont agree with what Alonso did at the seasons end but lets not paint him as the only bad guy.

Ferrari had contact with Mercedes in two races I can recall, not several. France and Britian. And both Hamilton AND his team bosses insinuated it was deliberate before retracting it.

The Ferrari is legal, not "appears to be legal" .. Hamilton was well aware when he said "trick things" the media would jump on it as an insinuation the car wasn't legal. Just as you did with the "appears to be legal" comment. Ferarri have found something innovative and Mercedes don't know what it is so in Hamilton's mind it MUST be something "trick" .. Just like him tweeting team data out because his team mate beat him, it HAD to be something else.

As for Bottas. He held Kimi up so Hamilton could close in, its legal so fair play but we all heard it on the team radio. He is Hamilton's bitch now. I liked the quote from the Ferrari boss when asked about Bottas .. "We hire drivers, not butlers". Its not the first time Bottas's race has been sacrificed for Hamilton and it wont be the last this season.

I agree with you that Hamilton is a marmite driver, although I have no problem acknowledging his skill behind the wheel "without feeling bile" as you put it. The last bit of respect I had for him out of the car left at Abu Dhabi in 2016 when he went out and did the very thing he said he wouldn't do by backing up the traffic and then he couldn't bring himself to genuinely congratulate Nico when he became Champion as he he said he lost to "a lesser driver" .. Money cant buy class apparently.

I quite like the way Hamilton wears his heart on his sleeve. He’s passionate. I’ve no axe to grind on his dress sense; not my taste but he’s always immaculately presented. My son doesn’t dress to my taste ether but he’s never immaculately presented!

As for his music, who cares. He raps under the name XNDA and recorded his first track with Christina Aguilera. She’s alright by me; she passed the Rolling Stones year agest ago!

As for Bottas. He held Kimi up so Hamilton could close in, its legal so fair play but we all heard it on the team radio. He is Hamilton's bitch now. I liked the quote from the Ferrari boss when asked about Bottas .. "We hire drivers, not butlers". Its not the first time Bottas's race has been sacrificed for Hamilton and it wont be the last this season.
I missed that comment, nice one. Mind you Arrivederci did look like he'd just eaten a whole nest of wasps. At a few points during the race it appeared that Ferarri had clearly invited all the big knobs to watch them win the race from their pit. Oh dear!

As to the LH hobbies of fancy dressing and rap, so long as it doesn't effect his driving or focus on F1 then let him get on with it. Everybody needs a hobby of some sort. Clearly there seems to be evidence of him being a bit of a tw@t in the past, but I thought he seemed quite level headed the past year or so. is comment on Ferrari trickery was supposed to be tongue in cheek. He started the season talking about a Mercedes party mode unfortunately Ferrari seems to have developed a party mode of their own. Oops!

Bottas is a classic number two. Very fast but never quite fast enough to beat the team leader. Always reliable, picks up good points, wins occasionally but genearly acts as wingman.

Over the years, there have been loads of pairings like this. Some like Bottas and Coulthard realise where they are and happily accept their lot. Others like Webber whinge like **** but still get beaten. One or two (Massa, Ruebens) have to be forced.

I can only think of one who has worked his nets off to beat the de facto team leader; Rosberg. And that requires divine intervention.

Formula 1 Drivers appear (to me) to be cut from the same cloth as fighter pilots; astronomic levels of intelligence and ability, with similar portions of arrogance, selfishness and Machiavellian tendencies on the side. The very best aren't hired to be nice, they're hired to win. Hamilton seems to be doing just that; all the rest is superfluous.

Bottas is a classic number two. Very fast but never quite fast enough to beat the team leader. Always reliable, picks up good points, wins occasionally but genearly acts as wingman.

Over the years, there have been loads of pairings like this. Some like Bottas and Coulthard realise where they are and happily accept their lot. Others like Webber whinge like **** but still get beaten. One or two (Massa, Ruebens) have to be forced.

I can only think of one who has worked his nets off to beat the de facto team leader; Rosberg. And that requires divine intervention.
Divine intervention: That wouldn't, by any chance, have been the key round the neck of Dieter Zetsche that fitted the locked switch on Toto's panel that when pressed caused Lewis' car to explode in several directions?

I also think it's about time, both Vettel and Verstappen visited Specsavers, or joined the 'Writers Guild'.

It's fantasy to suggest that the incidents they were involved in, weren't somehow,their fault ? :muhaha:

Now that is fantastic news. MNow all we need is for McLaren to build a decent car.

And George Russell to get Stroll’s Williams swat.
A few more could do building decent cars. Anytime a Mercedes or Ferarri ends up at the the back of the field there's a goos chance it will still pick up a podium spot. Doesn't matter who is driving its like the others were stationary. I know the cash counts for a lot but there's surely a lot of tech talent in the other teams. Renault could spend similar amounts of cash but being French, well, enough said.