Formula 1 - 2018 season

Valtteri gets my vote for driver of the day. I thought he did a sterling job allowing Lewis to open up the window between him and Vettel long enough that he couldn't possibly win baring Lewis' engine spontaneously blowing up. Can't have been easy keeping it cool with 2 Ferarris breathing down the back of his neck. Pity it went the way it did.

Bottas' reaction to being called Lewis' wingman was impressive...he actually lost his grin for a moment.

Lewis had a much easier time due to the excellent defensive driving from Bottas. A great shame that it all went wrong at the end. Vettel should have been penalised, enough to get him off the podium, at least.

Throughly enjoyed the whole weekend. Bottas drove superbly as did Ricciardo. Deserved win for Hamilton and always funny to see Vettel's face post-race like that. Extra points to Robin Raikonnen, Kimi's little lad, mad cute!

Lot of pressure on Ferrari to deliver in the second half of the season and of course, still the Driver merry go round with Ricciardo, Gasly, Le Clerc and Raikonnen to name but a few.

I thought Sainz would have finished higher than he did, given his good grid position post quali.

Baglock

On ROPS
On ROPs
Niki Lauda has a lung transplant yesterday.
Hope he mends well. Love his irreverent style which stands out in today's largely sterile corporate F1, Kimi and Max aside. Telling it how it is.

Lung injury related to his crash over 40 years ago?

Lung injury related to his crash over 40 years ago?
That’s what the Mercedes announcement said. Back in 76 he was the evil enemy; I was very much a James Hunt fan. But I warmed to Lauda when he went to McLaren.

He’s been brilliant at Merc and a huge positive influence on Hamilton. I hope he pulls through.

That’s what the Mercedes announcement said. Back in 76 he was the evil enemy; I was very much a James Hunt fan. But I warmed to Lauda when he went to McLaren.

He’s been brilliant at Merc and a huge positive influence on Hamilton. I hope he pulls through.
That scene in Rush where they have the gear down his throat nearly made me retch.
Hopefully he'll make a full recovery

Baglock

On ROPS
On ROPs

Indeed, some of my earliest F1 memories are of the 76 season.

It takes a special kind of bravery (or madness) rarely seen outside of warfare to get back into a car so soon after an accident like that.

His appearance did scare me as a primary school boy though

Baglock

On ROPS
On ROPs
To Renault to partner Hulkenberg - so Sainz is also moving.

To Renault to partner Hulkenberg - so Sainz is also moving.
Sainz to Red Bull I?. He was only lent to Renault after all. Or maybe Gasly promotes and Sainz heads elsewhere.

RBR don’t have many cans left on the rank in their junior set up and IIRC none with a super licence or the likelihood of getting one ready for next year.

Rumour is that Sainz who is loaned out by RB to Renault comes back to RB. Partner for the bumper car boy? Not likely, they weren't exactly mates at Torro Rosso. Gasly for a move to RB from Torro Rosso maybe?

Sainz could move to McLaren and partner his idol Alonso. Vandoorne out, he's just wasting fuel and tyres. Seems that some people at McLaren are talking about Lando Norris and a move from F2. That would leave Sainz without a drive.

Other possible moves:
Ferarri - Who gets the seat next to Vettel? Leclerc, in a move from Sauber? Then Kimi to Sauber for an extra year before retiring.
Force India - Stroll Snr want to promote Stroll Jnr to a better team and Farce India seems to be the choice. That would leave Perez or Ocon without a drive. Another option for Force India is George Russel from F2 who comes from the Mercedes camp, or he could go to Williams, especially if Stroll ends up with Force India.
Torro Rosso - 2 possible spots here as Hartley gets the boot and Gasly promotes to RB. Two names going the rounds are Dan Ticktum from F3 (has no super licence) and Alexander Albon from F2 but he was previously kicked out of RB for poor performance.
Sauber - No idea. Ericsson still to sign up but brings cash. Kimi as his team mate with Lecrec going to Ferrari. Possible for Sauber is Antonio Giovinazzi who has goings on with Ferrari. H's already driven a couple of times for Sauber.

Okay the above is probably a right load of dog toffee and I probably lost the way with all the changes. I'm no expert and cobbled it together from several items I'd read so not exactly all original thought on my part.

Real left field former RB junior who’s star has waned but who is rated very highly by the teams he drives for; Alex Lynn. Would already be in F1 if Stroll hadn’t been parachuted into Williams.

George Russell was faster in Hungary testing for Mercedes than Hamilton - but was on Hypersofts. I find it hard to believe that he will be unable to get a drive in F1 next season.

George Russell was faster in Hungary testing for Mercedes than Hamilton - but was on Hypersofts. I find it hard to believe that he will be unable to get a drive in F1 next season.
If Norris and Russell don’t get F1 drives where do they go? Unless something goes badly wrong in the F2 run in, one of them won’t be able to race in F2 next year.

I really hope these two get F1 chances; they are the best British prospects since Hamilton.