Formula 1 - 2018 season

Probably the most enjoyable Grand Prix this season, lot's of overtaking, plenty going on in the midfield battles, Vettel going off (LOL) and an imperious drive from Hamilton, bit of redemption for the Merc strategy chaps too.

I wonder how it would have been had Danny Ric's car not gone titsup.com though, now that would have made it very interesting!

Probably the most enjoyable Grand Prix this season, lot's of overtaking, plenty going on in the midfield battles, Vettel going off (LOL) and an imperious drive from Hamilton, bit of redemption for the Merc strategy chaps too.

I wonder how it would have been had Danny Ric's car not gone titsup.com though, now that would have made it very interesting!
Redemption for Merc Strategy chaps?
'Come in, no stay out, arrgh! Wibble!'

WTF?

With his rap record and fashionista (aka eccentric) dressing, he seems to have lost his way somewhat. It doesn't seem to detract from the driving though. Yet.
If signing an 80M contract, winning a 66th GP and releasing a track with Christina Aquillera constitutes losing you way a bit, I’m buggered if I can see what the way should be!

To me Hamilton comes across as a humble man who is exceptionally polite. I know a couple people who have met him at media events who say he’s great socially. I couldn’t care less what he wears

If signing an 80M contract, winning a 66th GP and releasing a track with Christina Aquillera constitutes losing you way a bit, I’m buggered if I can see what the way should be!

To me Hamilton comes across as a humble man who is exceptionally polite. I know a couple people who have met him at media events who say he’s great socially. I couldn’t care less what he wears
His career is, I believe, racing driver. I meant he seems to have lost his way with that. Graham Hill, Ayrton Senna, Alain Prost and Michael Schumacher didn't need to grow rat's tails, wear daft outfits, appeal to 'da yoof'. They were just (if one can use the word in this context) extremely good at their job.

As I said, it doesn't seem to have affected the driving. Yet.

I can't comment on his manners etc. as I haven't met him, but I do get the impression he is a team player and nice to work with.

His career is, I believe, racing driver. I meant he seems to have lost his way with that. Graham Hill, Ayrton Senna, Alain Prost and Michael Schumacher didn't need to grow rat's tails, wear daft outfits, appeal to 'da yoof'. They were just (if one can use the word in this context) extremely good at their job.

I can't comment on his manners etc. as I haven't met him, but I do get the impression he is a team player and nice to work with.
James Hunt.

Hunt the Shunt never really achieved all he could on the track as the racing was a means to a lifestyle.
No doubt he was happy though ;-)

I'm sure he was...

I suspect, though, that many of those who criticise Hamilton for his lifestyle outside the track also revere Hunt for his lifestyle off track.
Maybe. But I am not one of them. To a person of limited talent and opportunity (me) Hunt's life was a daft waste of talent and opportunity.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Maybe. But I am not one of them. To a person of limited talent and opportunity (me) Hunt's life was a daft waste of talent and opportunity.
But he enjoyed himself - thoroughly. Much better than striving to be top dog and have a miserable quality of life!

But he enjoyed himself - thoroughly. Much better than striving to be top dog and have a miserable quality of life!
Hence my comment 'no doubt he was happy though'

Shows just how good he is if he can drive the way he does and still maintain other interests.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
I don't know. He walked away in one piece during a period when that was far from a given and with the title.

It's very interesting watching interviews with lauda on hunt. I get the impression he was very driven to be world champion but once he achieved that wasn't all that interested in defending. While he did completely fall into the lifestyle poignantly lauda noted that towards the end he had taken efforts to stop all that. Sadly it caught up with him anyway.

Graham Hill, Ayrton Senna, Alain Prost and Michael Schumacher didn't need to grow rat's tails, wear daft outfits, appeal to 'da yoof'. They were just (if one can use the word in this context) extremely good at their job.
Three of whom are / were conservative white men and the fourth a Brazilian aristocrat. None of whom experienced overt racism.

Hamilton’s style isn’t to my taste, but he’s always immaculately presented. He’s been instrumental in connecting staid old Mercedes with a younger, edgier customer base. I’d guess their marketing people see him as gold dust.

I’ve just flown to Sydney on China Southern. He’s being used in some very “hip” adverts

Watch the film Ferrari based on Doug Nye’s book Mon Ami Mate about Hawthron and Collins. Their life was pretty races too.

Great film; how Ensor Ferrari kept it together when he lost all five of his drivers in three years.

What are people's thoughts on LeClerc potentially going to Ferrari next season.

He's a most exciting driver I've had my eye since he was in the support races.

Loved his majestic pirouette in Germany

My feelings are that he should wait for a team where he's got a decent crack at it, rather than have his potential crushed by team orders and No2 driver status

Last edited:
With a bit of luck Leclerc will do a similar number on Vettel to Riciarrdo. He’s good enough IMHO and far better off in a top team than running around in midi field.

I wonder how long Ferrari will tolerate Vettel’s mistake rate.

With a bit of luck Leclerc will do a similar number on Vettel to Riciarrdo. He’s good enough IMHO and far better off in a top team than running around in midi field.

I wonder how long Ferrari will tolerate Vettel’s mistake rate.
Has Bottas signed for next season yet?

Has Bottas signed for next season yet?
Yes. They announced a new multi-year deal at Hockenheim but not how many years multi is. I reckon Red Bull will be the only other team to go into 2019 with an unchanged line up and that’s if Dan Roc doesn’t go to Ferrari. Grosjean hasn’t done enough at Haas which might be a home for Leclerc.

Ocon is rumoured to be heading to Renault while Stroll’s milions take him to FI. Who would make way at Renault is a question; Sainz isn’t going back to Toro Rosso in a hurry and if Dan Ric signs there won’t be a slot at RB.

There’ll be at least one change at McLaren opening a slot for Norris. Toro Rosso will likely bin Hartley but there are no cabs on the RB rank to fill it; Dan Ticktum is nearest but won’t have enough points from F3.

Who knows what will happen at Williams with no Martini or Stroll. George Russell must be in he frame for a Merc placement.

Which leaves Sauber losing Leclerc to Ferrari or Haas and probably moving Ericsson on too.