Formula 1 - 2018 season

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
The best drivers I saw in karting? Terry Fullerton, Jarno Trulli, Jan Magnussen, Massimiliano Orsini & Mike Wilson.
I remember trulli and magnussen being talked up as The Next Big Thing. the sheen is well and truly off max it would seem.

As we used to say in karting, " he needs putting on his head" and there was always someone willing to do it, normally Jos Verstappen! Jos always seemed to have a PR buzz about him, everyone saying how great he was, but every time I looked, he was cocking up somewhere. The flashes of brilliance never outweighed the brain farts, just like his son.

The best drivers I saw in karting? Terry Fullerton, Jarno Trulli, Jan Magnussen, Massimiliano Orsini & Mike Wilson.
The PR buzz may be part of the problem. Gets to the point that somebody believes their own PR bull. It happened with the father Jos and its now happening with the son. Last week he, Max, was in Zandvoort with Danny Ricardo and you'd think he had won the title already. The journos went overboard and coupled it with talk about a Dutch GP. The public goes wild and its max this and max that. Every race weekend we get reports on Thursday/Friday about how Max is leading, fastest time etc.. They forget to say that it was the free training for setting up the car not all out racing. Which in turns begs the question that he spanks the car before its potential is required giving his engineering team extra work.

Eventually Jos was known as the zandhaas (sand rabbit) and author of the best seller Jos Verstappen's World of Gravel. After that it went downhill. Max is now being called Max Crashstappen. Once the name is there the title will stick The boy needs a proper ex-F1 driver to look after him and tutor him, not his father.

Last edited:
I remember trulli and magnussen being talked up as The Next Big Thing. the sheen is well and truly off max it would seem.
Trulli was outstanding at the 91 world champs, beating Verstappen & Fisichella. The fist time he led in F1, he looked so comfortable, but never really improved.

Magnussen was good in Formula Ford 1600 & Formula 3, but Mercedes then parked him in DTM for a year, that seemed to stall his rise, although his F1 debut netted him a 4th.

It’s a good day to be an Australian motor racing fan. Indy 500 and Monaco Grand Prix ....
Yep. Ricciardo did really well. Down on power most of the race and he still managed to beat both Finger Boy and Nose Stud. I'm surprised that Vercrashen managed to finish as well though. After that colossal foul-up in practice and being relegated to the back of the grid, I was expecting him to have a high-speed wall-front wing interface at some point trying to get to the front of the pack.

I was going to say that it was probably the most interesting bit, but I see it's a 'track' not an oval.
Unfortunate, but not F1

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
7 day free trial of Eurosport through Amazon here -
that'll do me for watching Le Mans this weekend.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
so, Le Mans - can't help but thinking with the restrictions placed on the rest of the LMP1 field Alonso didn't have to work perhaps as hard as he would have had to if Audi and Porsche had been running in that class. I can't help but think if that was me I'd have felt the win was a little undeserved, perhaps. one thing that did strike me - seeing Zak Brown there in his capacity as owner of the UA team, if I was one of the Mclaren bods I'd have been thinking 'what are you doing there instead of doing the job you're paid for at Woking??'

so it's back to Paul Ricard this weekend - stories flying around about Danny Ric being offered £20 mill to go to Mclaren. I don't rule it out, but I don't think that would be a move to give him race wins, let alone a chance of the title. same with Ferrari, though to a lesser degree of hopelessness than Mclaren. plus I don't think Vettel would like having him as a teammate again, and Ferrari management seem to prefer a clearly delineated no.2 driver. so that leaves Mercedes...thoughts?

I suspect that there's a bit of "For F*ck's sake Fernando, stop flip-flopping, if you want to f*ck off and do your Triple Crown, go and do it" going on. They gave him the chance for the Indy 500 last yet and Honda fluffed it, they gave him the chance to win Le Mans, he's done that and now McLaren are getting ready for him to sod off full time.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
I suspect that there's a bit of "For F*ck's sake Fernando, stop flip-flopping, if you want to f*ck off and do your Triple Crown, go and do it" going on. They gave him the chance for the Indy 500 last yet and Honda fluffed it, they gave him the chance to win Le Mans, he's done that and now McLaren are getting ready for him to sod off full time.
I don't know about that - if anyone can drive a car beyond its limits, he can. however...he seems to have well and truly p1ssed on his chips with the other teams on the grid. so not only do I think Mclaren want to hang onto him as he's easily worth at least half a second a lap just by himself, but no other team will have him.

I don't know about that - if anyone can drive a car beyond its limits, he can. however...he seems to have well and truly p1ssed on his chips with the other teams on the grid. so not only do I think Mclaren want to hang onto him as he's easily worth at least half a second a lap just by himself, but no other team will have him.
However much he is worth on the track, does it make up for the damage his toxic personality costs the team in performance terms.

Alonso’s demands are a big diversion for McLaren who seem to have lost their way. I’m not convinced by Zac Brown; too many pies with his fingers in them.

I really really hope that McLaren don’t buy a second hand spec chassis with a spec engine and run it so Fred can get his triple crown. They need to focus firmly on their core F1 team.

The Dan Ric thing looks good to me. Loose Alonso and Vandoorne. Fire Boullier. Oh and run Lando.

Alonso drove bloody well at Le Mans, better than his teammates, but it's still a bit of a hollow victory. Changing the BOP during the event lost the ACO a lot of credibility. BMW sandbagged u til they got the weight removed.

Various rumblings going on, Alonso will go to Andretti, Norris will get the seat, but may do a few races this year, possibly replacing Hartley. Lots of unrest at Woking, the management structure is crap, a few camps looking at taking charge. Zac Brown must go. Boullier hasn't been given a chance, but may become collateral damage.

Andretti to F1 within 5 years?

To win a race, you first have to finish it. I will applaud Toyota on its win at La Sarthe last weekend as they have invested heavily in that race for a long time and were due some payback. Especially after the cursed races they have had over the last few years.
I also totally agree with the BoP issue and it needs looking at. On test day, the Rebellions were within 0.5 sec of the top Toyota but this needs reviewing from LMP1 down to GT AM.
Interesting rules changes abound for 2020 with the replacement of LMP1 with some hypercar element. This should in theory attract manufacturers back.
Alonso is in for the rest of the WEC season and has stated he wants the championship. Interesting was an interview in the 24 Hrs programme where he said he prefers the openness and friendly atmosphere of the WEC grid compared to F1. Don’t know if he may be trying to burn bridges but he did put on a great show last weekend.

Andretti to F1 within 5 years?
The Canadian GO scuttlebut had Andretti in Montreal to buy Force India.

There’s allegedly a “bring back Whitmarsh” camp at Woking. He’s supposedly very close to Mansour Ojeh and the other Bahraini shareholders.

The governance of F1 teams is becoming a bit of an MBA study! Long gone are the days of all powerful founder / owners / principals like Frank, Ron, di Montezemelo, Bernie and further back ACBC

F1 teams are now corporate entities with active shareholder investors and corporate owners. Corporate influencers like Toto and Christian Horner who can network complex stakeholder matrices are the successful one.

To win a race, you first have to finish it. I will applaud Toyota on its win at La Sarthe last weekend as they have invested heavily in that race for a long time and were due some payback. Especially after the cursed races they have had over the last few years.
I also totally agree with the BoP issue and it needs looking at. On test day, the Rebellions were within 0.5 sec of the top Toyota but this needs reviewing from LMP1 down to GT AM.
Interesting rules changes abound for 2020 with the replacement of LMP1 with some hypercar element. This should in theory attract manufacturers back.
Alonso is in for the rest of the WEC season and has stated he wants the championship. Interesting was an interview in the 24 Hrs programme where he said he prefers the openness and friendly atmosphere of the WEC grid compared to F1. Don’t know if he may be trying to burn bridges but he did put on a great show last weekend.
Alonso has a bit of history with bridge related arson

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I was watching practice for the French F1 this afternoon.
I'm no expert on F1 and watch occasionally, I was amazed at the amount of spin offs and drivers over running the turns, there was one bad crash where a car actually caught fire, not seen that for a very long time, the driver took his time getting out but appeared fine.
It could be a very interesting Sunday.

Rumours according to Bild that Ricciardo is waiting to sign a contract because he thinks Hamilton is retiring and he could go to Mercedes. The point would be that Hamilton doesn't have the motivation to do a stressing head to head season with a fast driver as team mate like he did with Alonso. If he loses it would be the second defeat after the one with Rosberg and it would downgrade his wins

any of you kind folks have a link for a commentary on today's race? THe radio and Freeview TV are busy with football and cricket...

Thanks in anticipation.