Formula 1 - 2018 season

Now that the 2017 has come to a close I've started a new thread for the 2018 season.

Will Ferrari follow through on their regular threat to leave F1? Will the new players come good? Will McLaren, RBR and Williams finally get back to winning ways?

Please keep it to F1, we know many of you don't like it, but don't fill this with your 'blah blah is more exciting' pish.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
ferrari may be following through, but I think they'll stay in F1.

Ferrari will whinge a bit, but won't leave.

Chris Horner will whinge a lot, but suddenly wonder why nobody likes him, which he needs to get the backing for his next project.

Paddy Lowe will make a difference at Williams, but I'm afraid it's too little, too late.

Hamilton will work even harder to get the team behind him for next season, will Bottas be able to up his game continuously.

McLaren will improve, but I'm not sure they will match Red Bull.

I'm sure of one thing, at some point in the season, Helmut Marko will drop a driver.

Skylog will educate us.

What I usually is rewatch the races from this year over the winter, usually on a Sunday when there little other interesting sport on. I am looking forward to Daytona.

We will start the season with one British driver, but we will end it with four:

Obviously #LH44 will win the title at a canter.

Williams will sign Kubica as a race driver and Di Resta will continue as Reserve. Kubica's arm won't last the season and PDR will step up.

Alonso will miss at least one GP to play away. Norris will make his Grand Prix debut and stuff Vandoorne. Alonso will flounce off to Indy / WEC doing a Montoya. Lando will finish the season for him.

And finally a really long shot. As @Morticiaskeeper predicts, Marko will sack a driver. No RBs Junior program is looking pretty empty, but they do have Dan Ticktum.

OK so my 2017 prediction of a clean sweep for Lewis didn't last Australia but.......

Ferrari won't go next year, they, like others, are contracted until the end of 2020 and it's when the new engine regs come in that may make the difference.

Honda will get their act together and give an engine that has power, but Renault will still face "reliability issues" which means McLaren will stay in the mid to rear of the grid which will lead to Alonso going at the end of next season.

Ricciardo to move to another team, possibly Ferrari as I can't see Kimi staying much longer due to lacklustre results.

Edited to add: One track, hopefully Sochi or Baku, will announce it will not be hosting F1 from 2019 due to the costs involved. And Brazil will still be a major security nightmare no matter what anyone claims they are going to do about it.

Last edited:
I think this is the best thread for this one, as it is being reported that rumour central is saying Santander is stepping down as Ferrari's primary sponsor at the end of the 2018 season.

Not much is being said about the reasons for the alleged refusal to renew the contract, which has been running since 2010, but two reasons spring to mind, one being the results and lack of championships and the other being that the Santander boss who signed the deal, Emilio Botin, was an F1 nut but he's not in charge any more as his daughter, who may not be so enthusiastic, is in charge now.

No word about whether the Santander race sponsoring is under threat, but this will be something like €40 million that has to be replaced at a time when the prize money being doled out is to be reduced as well. I've no doubt that the Red Team will find another title sponsor easily enough, but it's another "issue" they don't really need as they regroup for next year.

Story is in the Guardian, and the comments below it make me wonder how many accounts Skylog has there...

Expect a pretty livery next year since, as expected, Alfa Romeo returns as Sauber gets rebranded as Alfa Romeo Sauber in the "enhanced collaboration" between Sauber and Ferrari.

Discussions are still, allegedly, ongoing over whether Ericsson keeps his seat or is replaced with Ferrari protege Giovinazzi.

Santander are to end their relationship with Ferrari at the end of THIS year, not the end of 2018 as thought, as well as ending all sponsorship in F1 at the same time.

2007 U.S. GP was my last one I've actually seen live. I've only been to only 3 in total mind you, Canada, the U.S and Aus.

I used to be quite interested in till about 2009-ish, but then got bored. I thought Alfa had better priorities than racing in F1, like , duh, making money! Reminds me a bit of the Jag F1 team back in the day, which ended up being a money sucking pit.

Last edited:
2007 U.S. GP was my last one I've actually seen live. I've only been to only 3 in total mind you, Canada, the U.S and Aus.

I used to be quite interested in till about 2009-ish, but then got bored. I thought Alfa had better priorities than racing in F1, like , duh, making money! Reminds me a bit of the Jag F1 team back in the day, which ended up being a money sucking pit.
Alfa are Ferrari are FIAT so it does make sense to rebrand Ferrari engines and so on as a "sister" marque in this way.

Robert Kubica sets fastest pace in Williams test in Abu Dhabi

"The 32-year-old Pole set a best time 0.5 seconds quicker than Renault reserve driver Sergey Sirotkin, who is also being assessed by Williams."

"Kubica, like Vettel, was using the fastest 'hyper-soft' tyre when he set his time, while Sirotkin set his best time on the 'soft', which is three grades harder."

So it sounds like Sirotkin is the faster.

Doesn't do it for me, I'm afraid.

Nice to see them back though - I've always been a big fan...

How to win in F1, get in the lead and throw anything and everything that's loose on the track into the visor of anyone who gets close to you.