Former UK now Canadian Officer Charged with Murder of Afghan

#3
dutybooty said:
JJ, you've posted this story twice, both simply cut and paste. Why?
Put it in the Canadian and general recent developments forums so others might see it beyond Canadians. I don't have any comment at this point since the proceedings are just beginning. What commentary do you think is appropriate at this point? I think it is newsworthy however especially given the debate that is ongoing in Canada as to whether to continue its commitment in Afghanistan.

It is also a serious issue for the military generally in Canada, You may recall the firestorm that occurred some years ago (IIRC I think in Somalia) where some Canadian paras caught and killed a young lad who was stealing their gear. A cover up followed and by the time it all was sorted one of the accused had committed suicide, the Para Regiment was disbanded and lots of officers sacked.

If that violates some posting rule I apologize.
 
#4
I'm not sure one can comment as his side of the story hasn't come out.

I mean it's either:

Yeah, I shot the fcuker so do one.

Or

He grabbed at my weapon/drew a knife/gun or some variation of self defence.

There is of course that old miltary addage that if you were innocent you wouldn't be on a charge.

But thanks for the post JJ, will be an interesting story to follow.
 
#5
Strange pic -- the guy in blue is a RCAF Sqn Ldr. So who is the Captain referred to in the story being "escorted in".
 
#6
DavetheApe said:
Strange pic -- the guy in blue is a RCAF Sqn Ldr. So who is the Captain referred to in the story being "escorted in".
I was hoping someone could clarify as well. He certainly doesn't "look the part" if he is the unfortunate accused. Perhaps his judge advocate?
 
#8
I think the guy in the very back of the picture may be the accused. Green uniform, wings, etc
 
#9
jumpinjarhead said:
DavetheApe said:
Strange pic -- the guy in blue is a RCAF Sqn Ldr. So who is the Captain referred to in the story being "escorted in".
I was hoping someone could clarify as well. He certainly doesn't "look the part" if he is the unfortunate accused. Perhaps his judge advocate?
it's not that difficult, which one isn't wearing a red beret or in air force uniform?
 
#10
CQMS said:
As it's an ongoing case do you think it appropriate to discuss it here?
Why not?
 
#11
jumpinjarhead said:
DavetheApe said:
Strange pic -- the guy in blue is a RCAF Sqn Ldr. So who is the Captain referred to in the story being "escorted in".
I was hoping someone could clarify as well. He certainly doesn't "look the part" if he is the unfortunate accused. Perhaps his judge advocate?
This is Sub Judice - end this debate here.
 
#12
Quite agree Western, we are hardly like to influence the court are we....

M'Lud, KabulRonin from ARRSE thinks the accused should be released.

Good idea Mr Defence Lawyer, you, MP person, see to it at once.

Cant really see it myself.
 
#13
CQMS said:
As it's an ongoing case do you think it appropriate to discuss it here?
I merely posted as a news item. I would hope that comments are qualified as to his guilt but the larger issues are germane I believe. If one scans the subjects on the various forums one sees many that involve ongoing matters that have not been finally resolved.

Again, however, if there is a forum rule against such posts I apologize.
 
#14
'In England and Wales, New Zealand, Australia, India, Pakistan and Canada it is generally considered inappropriate to comment publicly on cases sub judice, which can be an offence in itself, leading to contempt of court proceedings. This is particularly true in criminal cases, where publicly discussing cases sub judice may constitute interference with due process'.

Wise up.
 
#15
But I'm not in any of those countries.

Are you a Canuck Josey Wales?
 
#16
JoseyWales said:
'In England and Wales, New Zealand, Australia, India, Pakistan and Canada it is generally considered inappropriate to comment publicly on cases sub judice, which can be an offence in itself, leading to contempt of court proceedings. This is particularly true in criminal cases, where publicly discussing cases sub judice may constitute interference with due process'.

Wise up.
I am trying to "wise up" as you put it. I did not note any such concern in the several threads about the PMC now accused in Iraq for murdering his 2 mates. Is the distinction that it is in an Iraqi court?
 
#17
Hear hear JJ
 
#18
jumpinjarhead said:
JoseyWales said:
'In England and Wales, New Zealand, Australia, India, Pakistan and Canada it is generally considered inappropriate to comment publicly on cases sub judice, which can be an offence in itself, leading to contempt of court proceedings. This is particularly true in criminal cases, where publicly discussing cases sub judice may constitute interference with due process'.

Wise up.
I am trying to "wise up" as you put it. I did not note any such concern in the several threads about the PMC now accused in Iraq for murdering his 2 mates. Is the distinction that it is in an Iraqi court?
You tell me;

'Captain Robert Semrau is escorted to the courtroom during a bail hearing at Canadian Forces Base Petawawa on Tuesday'.
 
#19
JoseyWales said:
'In England and Wales, New Zealand, Australia, India, Pakistan and Canada it is generally considered inappropriate to comment publicly on cases sub judice, which can be an offence in itself, leading to contempt of court proceedings. This is particularly true in criminal cases, where publicly discussing cases sub judice may constitute interference with due process'.

Wise up.
My bold.

Pakistan- you are having a farking laugh boy. Even the Afghans joke about Pakistani "justice"

Pakistani: Why do you have a Minister for Railways when you have no railways?

Afghan: Why not, you have a Minister for Justice.
 
#20
kabulronin said:
JoseyWales said:
'In England and Wales, New Zealand, Australia, India, Pakistan and Canada it is generally considered inappropriate to comment publicly on cases sub judice, which can be an offence in itself, leading to contempt of court proceedings. This is particularly true in criminal cases, where publicly discussing cases sub judice may constitute interference with due process'.

Wise up.
My bold.

Pakistan- you are having a farking laugh boy. Even the Afghans joke about Pakistani "justice"

Pakistani: Why do you have a Minister for Railways when you have no railways?

Afghan: Why not, you have a Minister for Justice.
Take your hands off my Vindscreen Viper.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top