Former troops to be recruited as teachers

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by supermatelot, Nov 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Depends on the kids I suppose. They cant AGAI the little bastards if they decide not to listen.

2. I think i've read this before from the last lot.

3. Could it not be argued that part of the cause of the breakdown in discipline is due to "lefty" teaching methods (and teachers) which focus on everyone being victims? The current "I know my rights" mindset is now at least second generation. The recovery has to start somewhere and if it takes a few no-nonsense ex drill pigs then so be it. I can't see the rest of the teaching profession accepting these proposals with open arms though. I envisage nice guy / bad guy scenes being played in all the UK schools with ex services occupying one side of the staffroom spinning dits whilst the other teachers affectate outrage at what they hear.

4. I think it could work. Externally instilled class discipline requires force of character above all else - kids respond to that like any other animal.

5. I suppose it depends on if the kids are young enough to not know their rights, then it might work otherwise it could cause problems. Discipline in the forces used to be backed up with a smack in the chops, nowdays the threat of minor sanctions covers things, neither is available in a school.

6. The staffroom would be a very dodgy place, did they or did they not skiff the cups?

7. Until they find their attempts to enforce discipline hampered by parents who "knows my rights like, you ****ing can't talk to Kyle/brittney/Courtney/Jacob (delete as appropriate) like that I'll have you sacked" kids who cry assault when you try to enforce any class rules and unsuportive headmasters/governors.

8. Of course it depends on how solid the backing is, of what disposition are the other teachers, the heads of department, the headmaster and principal etc.

The problem is that so many headmasters have got **** all interest in education and just treat the places as a business train-set "I do X, meet Y targets, and I get Z amount of lolly".*

But a 'surge' of ex-service teachers could mean a sea change and embolden other teachers who felt alone in their attitudes.

Edit : Effective sanctions are there in theory, whether they are implemented in the correct spirit depends on how the ship is run.

*We have the proponents of Corporate Britain to thank for this.

9. What sanctions? You cant belt the little ******* any more. You could try excluding them but then if they dont want to learn they wont be that bothered.

10. Neither are the teachers and fellow pupils who actually want to get on with the lesson.

Believe it or not plenty of schoolyard 'bad-boys' actually have parents who will belt them for being excluded. You've never seen a 18 year old 7-foot yardie wannabe hang his head while his 5 foot nothing Miss Mattie Jamaican mama tears him 2 new ********* for being sent home.

Alot of these stories in the Sun and the Express are just that - sensationalist news stories, where the management is so weak and disconnected that they fail to back up the actions of the teachers against inquests mounted by human-rights inquisitors (jobsworth, court-shy Local Authority officials or fee chasing lawyers) or put some real thought into interpreting the legislation in a way that preserves school discipline - they do exist, they're just not encouraged by the way things are.

11. If anything, it would help keep a lot of ex-services off the dole. The danger would be though - would they be regarded as the PCSOs of the teaching profession by the other teachers?
    Any teachers able to comment? Is there that sort of "snobbery" in the profession?

12. Not a teacher but good friends with a few and currently in higher education myself, and my own 2p :

There may be some ideological snobbery as most teachers tend to slant to the left but it has always been one of those 'refuge' professions with refugees from all walks of life so as long as the person is a qualified teacher he'll fit in to a degree as they're all odds n sods anyway.

13. There is a loggie who used to be a teacher in St Vincent, who told me stories of how things were in school back on his island (Parents sided with the teacher mainly) and how things were when he first came to London as a teacher (He had to practically beg kids to do something).
    I know of teachers in private and SCE school who think its far from sensationalist, they have said they would never work in inner city schools because they are powerless.

14. Yet there are inner city schools in London where parents are upping sticks and buying properties near just to get their kids into them.

It's a question of management, of the kind of Captain that the ship has if you'll excuse the nautical analogy again. Brassy locations require a brassy head who will stick his face back into the iquisitors' (parents or their agents) rather than bend over for a quiet life.*

Schools have toxic leadership problems too, and in these PC days where staff have to be far more wily and circumspect with the law in order to get the job done many heads simply bury their heads into the targets and statistics and leave the 'non-managerial' aspects of the school (as if there is such a thing) to the wolves.

*An oblique example would be the headmistress who publicly declared A-levels to be shit and not worth the paper they're printed on before putting the whole school on a curriculum written around Cambridge University's entrance exams.