Former soldier wants to join my company, alarm bells

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by romeofoxtrot, Jul 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. [h=5]Hi all[/h]
    I'll keep this brief. I'd like to speak to someone on how I can verify this man's credentials. A CV has landed on my desk applying for a senior position in the company. I've already had a telephone interview with him and although he seems open enough about his service I believe he is 'embellishing' his career somewhat. Here are some of the claims he has made

1. He claims he served in a Scottish infantry regiment (KOSB) and served as a lance corporal in Ireland.
    2. After serving with the infantry he transferred to the RLC EOD, where he reached warrant office rank before retirement.
    3. Served for six years with 14th Intelligence company.
    4. Passed the all-arms commando and P company. Has done over 160 jumps.
    5. Was a champion army boxer.

I suppose all this could be true, but could you do all that in 22 years? and still reach warrant officer 1? I served in the Plod and I have been HR for years. Something just doesn't 'feel right' with this character.
    Being a Logistics company, employing him wouldn't affect national security or anything but I'd like to employ an honest person nonetheless.
  2. FFS when did arrse become an employers checking up on people site?
    • Like Like x 10
  3. This afternoon!
    • Like Like x 2
  4. ah right, well if this is breaking any rules I'm not aware of I apologise. Please delete this thread, if so Cabana.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. In all my dealings with 'logistics companies', their staff seemed remarkable only for the ineptitude with which they lied through their teeth. You need a better class of dissembler mate.
  6. Poor wind up after the previous poor attempt. It does bring the 'knowledgeable' out in droves though,
  7. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

On the other hand, you could ask him to bring his red book to interview. All ex soldiers should have one. As a SSAFA Volunteer I use it to check those who claim to have served. As aprospective employer you could see his service record laid out in one place. If he's lost it, your alarm bells may be right.
  8. Do they really?
    • Like Like x 1
  9. sup rec

sup rec LE Book Reviewer

Would that be the 801 as described on the other thread or a 108 that most people get ?????
  10. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

In both threads nobody's mentioned "References" yet - or have I missed something?

Most of the guys that have either NTT'd or reached their EoS while under my command, have asked me to be their referee. Sure enough I've received reference requests from the associated companies they've applied for work with. Job done.

Also - each service leaver will have in their possesion (or should have) their last SJAR / OJAR (that's military speak for APPRAISAL) as well as a 108 which is military speak for TESTIMONIAL which sums up their entire Army career on one page.

If they haven't got one / the other /both - then get rid of them, because even if they ARE ex-forces, then it means their admin is up their hoop and you'll continually be issuing written warnings for forgetting stuff / sleeping in / forgetting to brush after they flush etc etc etc.

You could also avoid hiring unlucky people at the start of the process too, simply by binning half the CVs into file 13 before you start sifting through...
    • Like Like x 9
  11. Does MOD AODO still exist of was it absorbed into Kentigern at Glasgow? Might a be night check point.
  12. Say again in clear.
  13. I know he has served, I can tell that. It's just the para-commando-special forces stuff gets me, I've seen his picture on facebook, and he looks a bit 'soft' around the edges to be elite.
  14. Lost mine in a rather messy divorce which saw the bitch destroy all my plaques, photos, red book and anything else I had of sentimental value. Does that make me a walt?

15. Only if she took a Black and Decker sander to your tattoos and obliterated them as well.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.