Former Soldier Looking At TA Options

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by CamNostos, Aug 15, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. First post guys; would greatly appreciate some input. I left the Army in Dec '10 after four years to pursue study (Ancient History with Ancient Greek and Latin) after completing an OpTour (Herrick 10) as an OP in an FSG. I am graduating in about 18 months and will start PGCE (teacher Training) then. However, I am getting the itch and have noticed that the TA have a Military Int Det (29?) near me in Nottingham (anyone have anything on them?). I have contacted my local careers office and arranged to go in for a BARB (?!) but they have been very vague about the procedure; "Mumble mumble mumble Glasgow... Mumble DIN..." etc.

I would greatly appreciate any advice from other user's, or people who have experienced a similar transition to my own.

2. When I joined the STAB's, after leaving, I just pitched up at my local unit. The only problem I remember is not getting paid for a few months whilst they found my paperwork etc. I assume things are quicker now with JPA etc.

There is a small signals unit in Nottingham who are recruiting, might be worth a look.

3. Thanks a lot for your response, yeah I will be calling them up when they answer the phone. I'm only interested in a HUMINT position and have expressed that to the Recruiting Sgt I spoke to at the careers office, obviously he proceeded to tell me this was impossible and outrageous - I cant possibly choose what I want to do in the TA. I may have more luck going to the unit direct but wanted to get the ball rolling, will probably go for a bilateral approach. I'm at a point where I'm only interested in joining a specific arm so I'm not overly confidant this will work out! Does any one know if 5 Bde have vacancies? I think the Nottingham Det is 29.

4. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Cam,

As a rule of thumb the recruiting offices have little to no knowledge of, or interest in, recruiting for the TA. Your only answer is to go to the unit in question and have a chat with them.

5. Duke, seems like solid advice - they did not fill me with confidence. I will attempt to get in touch with the TA centre directly, can they take me through the whole joining process independently from my local AFCO?

6. I agree with the Duke, careers offices have very little idea of TA units unless there is an embedded TA recruitng bod in there one day a week.

The TA unit you are interested in will take you through the whole process, the AFCO will have nothing to do with it.

7. As you are ex regular your local unit would have to send an AFB203 ( Special Enlistment Authority) to Glasgow. Be aware this process can take up to 6 months as Glasgow are "short staffed and overwhelmed" with applications. Hopefully during this period your local unit will keep in touch with you.

8. That is very good to hear, I feel like i'm jumping through hoops for the wrong person at the moment interacting with the AFCO. I would much rather tip up, show my face and see what I think as opposed to having my expectations managed by a Recruiting Sgt who almost immediately tried to get me committed to something else! Would that approach be possible? Thanks for all your assistance - this is possibly the most helpful forum on the internet!

9. 8 posts and no one asks the newbie for set of pics of his WOG in the nude in return for information? Standards...

10. Anyone with any experience of when the best time is to ring a TA centre? I'm trying to get through to Nottingham but there is no answer - as they have a training evening tonight would that be a good time to try?

11. There'll be permanent staff there, so the best time to ring will be the same as with a Regular unit.

Not before 09:00 (briefings)
    Not between 09:00 and 10:30 (NAAFI break)
    Not between 10:30 and 12:00 (phone off hook, urgent admin)
    Not between 12:00 and 14:00 (lunch)
    Not between 14:30 and 16:00 (afternoon briefings)
    Not after 16:00 (gone home).

Additionally, don't bother on Wednesday or Friday afternoons.

12. Alternatively, do not ring any of the TA appointments on their drill evenings as they will invariably be absent from post.

Especially if any form of PT, maintenance or military training is scheduled on the training programme.

Try ringing the unit bar.

13. Seriously, although my earlier post is a bit tongue in cheek, the best times to phone seem to be at about 09:00, about 11:00 and about 14:00 and probably best on a Monday or Thursday. If there's no joy on these, turn up at the start of a Drill Night, i.e. at the gates at 18:50.

14. Cam,

PM sent

15. Thanks a lot for your input, I seem to have forgotten that NAAFI takes precedence over all office based duties. I will continue to try and get in touch with them, it seems like a much more preferable alternative to jumping into the AFCO vortex of luck.